The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

Let's get it straight on the tank..

McEichel is/are the holy grail. Yes odds are the Sabres get neither, but our chances of landing one or the other are way higher than our chances of making the playoffs this year. These guys are generational talents, so its only natural that media and talk radio focus on them. Again, discussing these players in blue and gold is far closer to reality than discussing a potential 2015 Sabres playoff run. I think most fans recognize the lottery odds.

A top five pick in this draft still improves this team and our long term cup prospects dramatically. And a Sabres bottom five finish is a pretty damn solid bet.

I don't think that implies that Mike Gilbert is her boss. I'm not even sure it was said anything other than tongue-in-cheek.

I know that if I ran the team, I'd forbid any employee from participating on a site like this one.

EDIT: Also, if she works for the team, why does she take the train down from the Theatre District on game nights?

I could be imagining it, but I'm pretty sure she said at some point that if her bosses knew she was on the site she could be fired. I don't care either way as I don't see any conflict of interest, but I don't think PA is completely out to lunch. Of course, it's really none of our business either, so there's that.

McEichel is/are the holy grail. Yes odds are the Sabres get neither, but our chances of landing one or the other are way higher than our chances of making the playoffs this year. These guys are generational talents, so its only natural that media and talk radio focus on them. Again, discussing these players in blue and gold is far closer to reality than discussing a potential 2015 Sabres playoff run. I think most fans recognize the lottery odds.

A top five pick in this draft still improves this team and our long term cup prospects dramatically. And a Sabres bottom five finish is a pretty damn solid bet.

Hit all the checkmarks.

I could be imagining it, but I'm pretty sure she said at some point that if her bosses knew she was on the site she could be fired. I don't care either way as I don't see any conflict of interest, but I don't think PA is completely out to lunch. Of course, it's really none of our business either, so there's that.

Not our business unless someone is suggesting there is a corporate plant, I suppose.

Then again, she hardly acts like an arm of the organization when posting, so I suppose it's no matter.

But PA not being completely out to lunch? You're taking it too far, man.

EDIT: Also, if she works for the team, why does she take the train down from the Theatre District on game nights?

This comes off as quite creepy. Obviously she goes home to freshen up and take care of "lady business."

Not our business unless someone is suggesting there is a corporate plant, I suppose.

Then again, she hardly acts like an arm of the organization when posting, so I suppose it's no matter.

But PA not being completely out to lunch? You're taking it too far, man.

I'm always out to lunch, except five years into the future. Then I'm spot on.

This comes off as quite creepy. Obviously she goes home to freshen up and take care of "lady business."

I'm always out to lunch, except five years into the future. Then I'm spot on.

Not meant as creepy; she said that she hangs at Bijou before catching the train to games.

Perfectly stated! :thumbsup:

The critique on marketing and the gullible fan-base is ridiculous. Are they not supposed to market their product? WTF. They're a business, they're managing their business exactly the way they're supposed to.

Should someone propose new laws that ban the marketing by sports teams who do not contend for championships?

Ezzactly.

Now this was like one of those rare flashes from Vanek when he got locked in and deployed.

You need to fax out the memo again, because I do not get the impression many of your fellow tankers see it that way. Even in the media, the tank is presented with McDavid and Eichel as the objectives. It's not very frequent that the clarification is made that it is unlikely the Sabres will acquire either as a result of tanking.

Only here on SS do I see the more savvy tankers admit to this reality, and even some of those do so in a seemingly reticent manner.

This is the part of the tank that bothers me greatly: it seems many folks believe, beyond rationality, that the end game is a top 2 pick.

Claude responded very well, but I want to echo many others on agreeing with his response.

McEichel is the perfect storm. But what the Sabre-style tank is really about is acquiring enough girgensons, Ristolainens and (hopefully) Reinharts to make us the Detroit of the next decade.

Because what's even worse than tanking? Missing the playoffs anyway while finishing 17th to 20th. As Sabres fans especially we should all be keenly aware of this.

The only reason that is worse is because nothing was done in those off seasons other that lateral moves or "waiing for the core to mature because we already have two top twenty centers", same coach, same GM, same nothing moves year after year.

The tank is/was not our only option and I will never embrace it.

This should be the best, most hopeful time of the year. Instead, I find myself dreading the upcoming season.

The only reason that is worse is because nothing was done in those off seasons other that lateral moves or "waiing for the core to mature because we already have two top twenty centers", same coach, same GM, same nothing moves year after year.

This should be the best, most hopeful time of the year. Instead, I find myself dreading the upcoming season.

This is a pretty safe position to take, sports wise.

This type of spectator can separate himself from the losing, while still enjoying the benefits of improved and more abundant talent.

No stain of defeat, all the glory of victory when the time comes.

I, for one, think we are better off with Girgensons, Zadarov, and whoever we take with the Islanders pick next year than we were with Goose, Pommer, and Vanek. I also think the improvement in our pick this year from 8-10 (Nylander/Ehlers/Ritchie) to #2 for Reinhart was well worth bypassing the signing of Free Agents who could help us win maybe 10 more games, but never help us in the playoffs in the future.

I think the worst trade of the rebuild was Roy for Ott/Pardy, because I think we could have done better than Stewart and Carrier had we traded Roy for picks/prospects directly. Fittingly, that was the only "hockey Trade" of the rebuild.

You think you hate it? I have to pay for this crap!

The only positive I can find in this steaming pile is that the pressure is off of our first time GM. He really can't do any wrong. Hopefully that freedom will help him build a winner. I still have my doubts.

What are your doubts? I'm pretty comfortable with GMTM at the wheel and I expect it to work out well for us.

What are your doubts? I'm pretty comfortable with GMTM at the wheel and I expect it to work out well for us.

It's his first time at the wheel. We ALL should have doubts. I remember driving at seventeen… Actually, my driving hasn't improved. Let's leave my driving out of this.

This type of spectator can separate himself from the losing, while still enjoying the benefits of improved and more abundant talent.

I, for one, think we are better off with Girgensons, Zadarov, and whoever we take with the Islanders pick next year than we were with Goose, Pommer, and Vanek. I also think the improvement in our pick this year from 8-10 (Nylander/Ehlers/Ritchie) to #2 for Reinhart was well worth bypassing the signing of Free Agents who could help us win maybe 10 more games, but never help us in the playoffs in the future.

I think the worst trade of the rebuild was Roy for Ott/Pardy, because I think we could have done better than Stewart and Carrier had we traded Roy for picks/prospects directly. Fittingly, that was the only "hockey Trade" of the rebuild.

Other than the "safe" thing (which I don't really understand), I can't really disagree with any of this. All I'm saying is that eventually, we are going to have to embrace winning and the present over losing and the future.

It's his first time at the wheel. We ALL should have doubts. I remember driving at seventeen… Actually, my driving hasn't improved. Let's leave my driving out of this.

I get your point but it is hard not to agree that the man has been impressive in the brief time he's been here. And ok it's his first time at the wheel but he's been in the front seat for a long time. The business side of how to do the job is not new to him. He knows the road ahead. I think he would have to be a colossal failure to his name and heritage if he flamed out here. Kinda like Scotty lol

I get your point but it is hard not to agree that the man has been impressive in the brief time he's been here. And ok it's his first time at the wheel but he's been in the front seat for a long time. The business side of how to do the job is not new to him. He knows the road ahead. I think he would have to be a colossal failure to his name and heritage if he flamed out here. Kinda like Scotty lol

Oh, my point really was about my driving. I do not recommend getting into a car with me.

Carry on with the hockey talk.

Edited by Eleven

Good post.

Other than the "safe" thing (which I don't really understand), I can't really disagree with any of this. All I'm saying is that eventually, we are going to have to embrace winning and the present over losing and the future.

I can get behind the idea of not embracing losing. Losing is always bad. I look at it more like holding your nose and accepting the losing (bad thing) as a necessary part of the way we are acquiring the good things: Half of a roster worth of first round picks. Myers, Ennis, Armia, Grigs, Girgs, Risto, Zadarov, Reinhart, and three more next year. If we hit 50%, which would be below average for top half of the first round, our top line and top pair will no longer be the thing we wish we had but can't make better in trade or FA. Then we can use those tools for what they are useful for. Second/3rd liners and middle pairing defensemen to add depth to the team.

I'm not against winning this year. To me, it's a sign our kids are getting better. I'm not against trading some of our picks and prospects for a good player, as long as that player is young enough.

I'm against mortgaging cap space and prospects to turn us from terrible to pretender.

It's about amassing enough good players who will hit their peak around the same time, then augmenting them with the missing pieces.

We're still on the first phase, but we can move into phase two next year.

I can get behind the idea of not embracing losing. Losing is always bad. I look at it more like holding your nose and accepting the losing (bad thing) as a necessary part of the way we are acquiring the good things: Half of a roster worth of first round picks. Myers, Ennis, Armia, Grigs, Girgs, Risto, Zadarov, Reinhart, and three more next year. If we hit 50%, which would be below average for top half of the first round, our top line and top pair will no longer be the thing we wish we had but can't make better in trade or FA. Then we can use those tools for what they are useful for. Second/3rd liners and middle pairing defensemen to add depth to the team.

Again, none of this guarantees us anything and I'm not going to be thrilled about any of it. The only thing that has changed in the last 15 years of being a Sabres fan is that instead of the mantra being "just wait 'til next year", it has changed to "just wait until the year after next."

Excellent post, especially the bolded part.

Devil's advocate: has any of his moves made any difference in the on-ice product yet?

So there's no concrete reason to be confident that we won't have a terrible outcome here.