The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

No approach guarantees anything, including tanking. Once they went all in on the tank, which I'll arbitrarily mark as the Vanek trade, there was no turning back. If TM comes in and tries to reverse course I'd argue that sets back the timeline to contention even farther.

Be completely honest with yourself...how many times as a Sabres fan going into a season can you say that you really thought they had a legit shot at the Cup? I'd say no more than 5 or 6 seasons for me and those are spread out over a long time period. I'm done with that. I want to be like Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago (recently) etc. and go into nearly every season knowing that my team really has a legit shot at a Cup. I truly believe that tanking gives us the best chance to become that type of franchise. I fully realize that we could end up like Edmonton, but I'll still have no regrets about taking an honest shot at long term greatness through tanking.

I still say the thread title says it all. The worst is behind us. After the 2015 draft, regardless of whether or not we land McEichel, the tank talk is pretty much done, at least from me.

Again, none of this guarantees us anything and I'm not going to be thrilled about any of it. The only thing that has changed in the last 15 years of being a Sabres fan is that instead of the mantra being "just wait 'til next year", it has changed to "just wait until the year after next."

It is sport. No guarantees. I watch very little football these days, and I hate making cross sport comparisons, but the Bills 1987 season was 7-8 or something....the team was on the cusp of turning the corner. Great season to be a fan though. 1979 was a good season to watch too. You could see the pieces coming together. I don't know if there is a Sabres season that is quite equivalent, but you get the drift. I want to see a team that competes, plays hard, and starts to coalesce. Less than that would be a failure in my opinion.

But we ain't getting a cup this year, and we ain't getting the playoffs either. But it is really up to you if you think it isn't worth watching. If in your evaluation it ain't, I wouldn't blame you or anyone.

Again, none of this guarantees us anything and I'm not going to be thrilled about any of it. The only thing that has changed in the last 15 years of being a Sabres fan is that instead of the mantra being "just wait 'til next year", it has changed to "just wait until the year after next."

I don't think anyone should be thrilled that we were misled for the last couple decades that with good management and players that work just as hard as the blue collar dirt under the fingernails people of WNY we were going to compete with the teams full of talent.

The hardest working team in hockey was only successful be cause they had the most talented hockey player on the planet at the time. That's the marketing con-job you should be pissed about.

This rebuild is not exciting. It's just not. I think the tank meme is a fine way to cope with it. I think taking a break from the team is fine too. But what they are doing now is attempting to build a team with talent. Top end talent. What we are witnessing isn't the start of a marketing campaign designed to fool fans. We are witnessing the end of one.

Devil's advocate: has any of his moves made any difference in the on-ice product yet?

So there's no concrete reason to be confident that we won't have a terrible outcome here.

Yes. His deadline moves helped cement this team in last place. Not that they really needed help.

I think taking a break from the team is fine too.

I've never done this and don't think I could as a fan. I've got too much emotion invested to take a break. If I take a break I'm likely done with that team.

Ya I guess I'm likely one of the few on here that is having fun with the tank. I won't consider next season unwatchable at all. But then again I am very pro tank and want to see how we end up doing, along with the Isles and Blues. As others have said, I've got one more tank left in me and after this draft I'm done with it McEichel or not. At that point we should have some very good core pieces moving forward.

I won't consider next season unwatchable at all.

Me either because we have a more capable team that we will icing. Last year was unwatchable even though I watched em all. I'm confident we wont see garbage like that ever again. How good we are this season may be debatable but the fact they will be better will not be. I say that fully expecting the goaltender position to be worse but not take away from the team as a whole.

Not that it was this group, but I'm sure you remember "It's our team, let's keep it that way" (accompanied by image of cute puppy in Sabres sweater with gun to its head). Ted Black said he can't operate on the assumption that Terry and his money will be around forever. The implied threat for Buffalo sports fans is always there. Support these teams, or else.

Is it marketing? Sure. Like Swamp said, marketing is part of every message the team puts out. Subtle things are even done online, like maybe having an employee of the Sabres communications department moderate a fan message board.

No. I'm not.

Nice! They're just trying give us what we want! Thank you Sabres! Thank you Sabres!

I think Swamp's problem is with the product mainly. Or the fact that there is no product, the marketing of which ("hope!" #blueprint, "the future's so bright…") is offensive.

There is no we. There isn't one kind of STH. Some are not optimistic. Some think the Sabres are going to be really good next season after Murray signed those guys, and they're dupes. Some are only pissed because the secondary market has dropped through the floor.

chz did make a comment recently that suggested Mike is/was her boss.

Yeah. Again, no.

Ya I guess I'm likely one of the few on here that is having fun with the tank. I won't consider next season unwatchable at all. But then again I am very pro tank and want to see how we end up doing, along with the Isles and Blues. As others have said, I've got one more tank left in me and after this draft I'm done with it McEichel or not. At that point we should have some very good core pieces moving forward.

I'm very much enjoying the tank and find it very interesting. Not only to see where our pick ends up but the Isles and the Blues as well as activity at the trade deadline and FAs. We are watching the rebuild of a team in progress. I understand that some people don't like it, but it really is the best way to rebuild as it is a three pronged approach. Get your high draft picks, trade for some players and sign some good free agents. The idea of relying on FA signings and trades with some mid to late round draft picks is much more limited. Granted either approach has much risk, I just think the tank is far less because you'll have more assets to work with. Especially with how well the Sabres have executed the tank so far.

Next year will actually be sorta fun to watch for there'd be no stress for them to win on our parts. It won't be a roster of rejects and misfits anymore and will actually start to show some of what is to come. McEichel or not in two seasons there are legitimate reasons for hopefulness.

Next year will actually be sorta fun to watch for there'd be no stress for them to win on our parts. It won't be a roster of rejects and misfits anymore and will actually start to show some of what is to come. McEichel or not in two seasons there are legitimate reasons for hopefulness.

I can accept this. I also think this being the first full season with Nolan and Murray finally makes for a clean sweep of the old regime.

I don't think you are alone at all with it. This is going to be one of the most exciting hockey seasons in memory. Unfortunately, watching the Sabres may not be the greatest thing to do as we strive for last place but watching the Islanders, Blues, CHL, NCAA, Rochester and all the Junior Tournies are going to be great.

I will still watch the Sabres and hope they all improve while hoping team continues to lose - is that an oxymoron?

Not that I am counting but there are 79 days 4 hours and 30 minutes till the NHL season faces off!

Edited by Crusader1969

It is sport. No guarantees. I watch very little football these days, and I hate making cross sport comparisons, but the Bills 1987 season was 7-8 or something....the team was on the cusp of turning the corner. Great season to be a fan though. 1979 was a good season to watch too. You could see the pieces coming together. I don't know if there is a Sabres season that is quite equivalent, but you get the drift. I want to see a team that competes, plays hard, and starts to coalesce. Less than that would be a failure in my opinion.

But we ain't getting a cup this year, and we ain't getting the playoffs either. But it is really up to you if you think it isn't worth watching. If in your evaluation it ain't, I wouldn't blame you or anyone.

I'll be watching,...

every game,...

every, game,...

just like last year,...

and the year before that,...

sigh.