The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

Here is a scenario, that I believe to be very likely. I'm hoping that most of you will be happy with it, if not, please respond so I can post your name in "things I give zero fU©ks about“. Last part was a joke, laugh a little you uptight a§§HOLE!

Contrary to what I believe to be as 60% of this boards opinion, the Buffalo Sabres will not tank this season! They will come out every game skating like they want to win! Thanks Nolan! Fortunately though, we will still finish last place. Thanks Darcy and Murray, well mostly Darcy. The fact of the matter is, that we are, in my opinion, icing the worst team in the NHL. Yes we have a ton of talent, just undeveloped at this point.

Nah bro we're good. Thanks for being anti tank!

I think we need a pinned thread that defines what it means to tank.

Once again GMTM has constructed a roster that is primed to tank. He has said more than a few times that he doesn't expect the team to have much success this season. This is the tank and it is most definitely the plan this season.

Ted Nolan isn't in on the tank and neither is a single Buffalo Sabres player that will take the ice this season. There is a huge difference between a roster that is actively trying to lose games and a roster which is incapable of winning.

Edit: I know Naulter did hit the true tank meaning at the end if his post, but even suggesting the players and/or coaches are involved in tanking is what often creates the disconnect between the pro and anti tankers on the board IMO.

Edited by Claude_Verret

The tank isn't about players playing to lose. No player worth a contract is going to do that. The players will always step on the ice to win the game. Nolan will coach the team to attempt to win every game. The tank is engineered by Murray and is in full motion. The FAs were all nice signings but combined with the losses, really didn't make the Sabres better enough to win more games. The major problem is that other teams may compete with us for last place. However, if it looks like they won't finish last I would expect that some assets will be traded. Myers, Hodgson, Stewart, Ennis and Stafford would be the prime candidates for a few high draft picks and possibly some strategic prospects.

After this season we'll see a significant free agent signing or two combined with the 1st or 2nd pick in the 2015 draft should end the tank.

Here is a scenario, that I believe to be very likely. I'm hoping that most of you will be happy with it, if not, please respond so I can post your name in "things I give zero fU©ks about“. Last part was a joke, laugh a little you uptight a§§HOLE!

Contrary to what I believe to be as 60% of this boards opinion, the Buffalo Sabres will not tank this season! They will come out every game skating like they want to win! Thanks Nolan! Fortunately though, we will still finish last place. Thanks Darcy and Murray, well mostly Darcy. The fact of the matter is, that we are, in my opinion, icing the worst team in the NHL. Yes we have a ton of talent, just undeveloped at this point.

Most posters understand the players and coaches don't tank. Front offices do.

Most posters understand the players and coaches don't tank. Front offices do.

Yes,  and no posters understand that there is a difference between a rebuild,  and a tank. If there wasn't a generational talent available,  would we be tanking?  Would we be doing a speedy rebuild? It's not like we have a ton of talent that the front office is telling to lose games,  or playing a strategy you can't win with.  This is a rebuild,  not a tank. There's a fine line. Has Edmonton been tanking for years?  Has Florida been tanking for years? When your GM openly States that you will be rebuilding through the draft,  and to prepare For "suffering“ that is was clear what our plan was,  sell anyone of value and start over,  a fresh start with a new look. 

The definition of tanking in sports is to “deliberately lose or fail to finish a game"

Other then trade away most of the team,  what has management done, that is outside of the rules(written and or unwritten) to deliberately lose?

Edited by Naulter8

Yes,  and no posters understand that there is a difference between a rebuild,  and a tank. If there wasn't a generational talent available,  would we be tanking?  Would we be doing a speedy rebuild? It's not like we have a ton of talent that the front office is telling to lose games,  or playing a strategy you can't win with.  This is a rebuild,  not a tank. There's a fine line. Has Edmonton been tanking for years?  Has Florida been tanking for years? When your GM openly States that you will be rebuilding through the draft,  and to prepare For "suffering“ that is was clear what our plan was,  sell anyone of value and start over,  a fresh start with a new look. 

The definition of tanking in sports is to “deliberately lose or fail to finish a game"

Other then trade away most of the team,  what has management done, that is outside of the rules(written and or unwritten) to deliberately lose?

Your definition is correct but applies to seasons too. If we trade stafford (or any of the other average to above average players we have) for picks we're still tanking the season. If we buyout valuable assets for future cap considerations were still tanking. If we start the season with goalies that have a combined 84 wins and one single season with above the paltry minimum of 20 wins, we are still tanking. This roster is built to grow, but it is also built to lose. Maybe it's a hybrid tank/rebuild.

And the generational talent is a bonus. The top 4-5 picks are always a tier above in the NHL draft.

Other then trade away most of the team, what has management done, that is outside of the rules(written and or unwritten) to deliberately lose?

This team spent the better part of 2 seasons trading away decent players without getting a single NHL'er back in return. I cannot recall another instance in the league of a team divesting itself of nearly all of its talent and not get one NHL player back in return. Not one single NHL player. By th end of last season there were good AHL teams that wouldA've beaten the Sabre's in a 7 game series. I dont know how you can say with a straight face that it wasn't planned losing. FFS, Ted Black himself got in front of a mocrophone andstated clear as day that the Sabre's did not intend to win. And there was no generational talent to be had at the end of last season.

They played by the league's rules, but calling it anything but a tank is a semantics game.

Ironically, with generational talent to be had at the end of the season, this offseason looked less like an obvious tank than last offseason.

Ott, Moulson, Halak/Neuvirth, Gorges and Stewart are NHL players.

More to your point, teams have rebuilt trading NHL players for picks and prospects numerous times over the years, but never as deliberately and quickly as this.

Call it what you want, it's calculated and its within the rules and it aimed at a Stanley Cup.

It's nice to at least be able to see the plan and agree with the end game.

Edited by dudacek

Weave, we got a second line winger and a 3/4 defenseman. We grew from a leadership perspective, but from a hockey skill perspective, we got guys in maybe the only two positions we DIDN'T have holes.

You have to add the re-signing of Moulson as well. We ARE still woefully short on talent, but at least this season the team on the ice with be a collection of NHL'ers. Last season was a disgrace. That team was 1/2 AHL talent.

If they ice Reinhart, then there is a shot they ice Risto and Zadorov.

If that's the case...this team COULD....at their max, be a playoff team.

Moulson-Reinhart-Gionta

Ennis-Hodgson-Stafford

Foligno-Girgensons-Stewart

Deslauries-McCormick-Kaleta

Myers-Georges

Ristolainen-Mezsaros

Zadorov-Pysyk

Neuvirth/Enroth

It isn't a disgusting team at all...it's not a Cup contender, but it's an NHL team with enough toughness to survive and enough talent that if the young kids grow fast....it COULD....be entertaining.

Let's see who they ice.

Moulson-Reinhart-Gionta

Ennis-Hodgson-Stafford

Myers-Georges

Ristolainen-Mezsaros

Zadorov-Pysyk

Neuvirth/Enroth

It isn't a disgusting team at all...it's not a Cup contender, but it's an NHL team with enough toughness to survive and enough talent that if the young kids grow fast....it COULD....be entertaining.

Let's see who they ice.

I like your thoughts. I expect us to ice a competitive team that the coach is both managing and lighting a fire under them.

This is a repost on an older article but I love the title.

http://www.thehockey...mpions-in-2020/

Me, too, but I get the sense it's another example of the author not writing the headline. Campbell doesn't make much of a case for the Sabres winning the Cup in five years. Just that they'll be "rebuilt" by then.

Who will they beat — the Oilers?

Moulson-Reinhart-Gionta

Ennis-Hodgson-Stafford

Myers-Georges

Ristolainen-Mezsaros

Zadorov-Pysyk

Neuvirth/Enroth

Let's see who they ice.

The only player on your list that I don't expect to see on the team is Zadorov. IMO he'll get his 9 games and that will be it. But they should be more entertaing to watch because it does appear to be a grittier squad and, well, those are all honest NHL players.

You have to add the re-signing of Moulson as well. We ARE still woefully short on talent, but at least this season the team on the ice with be a collection of NHL'ers. Last season was a disgrace. That team was 1/2 AHL talent.

But we didn't add Moulson we already had him on the roster last year. We cut our #1 defenseman and didn't improve in net. I agree with Drane, the kids could make it interesting, but the chronological aging of previous draft picks can hardly be considered an off season move.

Someone said front offices tank but coaches and players don't. I can buy that take on the front office and the players. Coach is an interesting spot. He has one foot in the front office, too. And he has one of Murray's feet in his front yard as well — for example, Murray has a say in who the assistants will be, and maybe in the spirit of tanking, he's pushing for at least one douchebag.

I would guess Nolan necessarily has to have bought into the idea of tanking, and he's going to make at least a few decisions to further the tank.

Moulson-Reinhart-Gionta

Ennis-Hodgson-Stafford

Myers-Georges

Ristolainen-Mezsaros

Zadorov-Pysyk

Neuvirth/Enroth

Let's see who they ice.

In honor of the great George Costanza, I propose that anytime somebody spells Gorges and Georges, it gets changed to Coco.

The point was made earlier but I think Enroth is going to be our trump card when it comes to completing the tank. He was 4-17 in his 28 starts last year and don't really think the defense is going to be good enough to bail him out.

I think Neuvirth plays more games than Enroth this season.

But we didn't add Moulson we already had him on the roster last year. We cut our #1 defenseman and didn't improve in net. I agree with Drane, the kids could make it interesting, but the chronological aging of previous draft picks can hardly be considered an off season move.

We did trade him away last year, so sure, we added him back.