The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

Fair enough, and I don't listen to much local radio other than interview segments. I guess I'm mostly basing this on my twitter feed, which has plenty of local WNY media members who keep gushing about McDavid and his thoughts about becoming a Sabre. I recognize that the character limits preclude having much detail, but I still feel like the tone is much more "Isn't this great? The Sabres are going to get this guy and the suffering will be over!" than what it should be, which is "This guy is great, but don't get your hopes up."

Yep. It's as if we've forgotten we finished last overall last year and STILL didn't get the top overall pick. And the odds are gonna be worse if we finish last again this year.

GO SABRES!!!

I now have no faith in this tank. Watching other teams, we are so feckin' far away from being even remotely competitive. It's going to take a generational talent and all of our prospects to reach their ceiling just to get us to be a bubble team.

I truly hope TM is the guy, because my initial thoughts are, and I hope Reinhart proves me wrong, that I wish we would have taken Draisetl instead, just for his size alone.

This sucks.

Fair enough, and I don't listen to much local radio other than interview segments. I guess I'm mostly basing this on my twitter feed, which has plenty of local WNY media members who keep gushing about McDavid and his thoughts about becoming a Sabre. I recognize that the character limits preclude having much detail, but I still feel like the tone is much more "Isn't this great? The Sabres are going to get this guy and the suffering will be over!" than what it should be, which is "This guy is great, but don't get your hopes up."

Jeremy White's McDavid updates on Twitter are really annoying and basically in the tone you describe. Our chances of landing him, at best, are 20% and that ignores the part where Carolina is on track to never win a game again.

I now have no faith in this tank. Watching other teams, we are so feckin' far away from being even remotely competitive. It's going to take a generational talent and all of our prospects to reach their ceiling just to get us to be a bubble team.

I truly hope TM is the guy, because my initial thoughts are, and I hope Reinhart proves me wrong, that I wish we would have taken Draisetl instead, just for his size alone.

This sucks.

Keep the faith. There is size in the pipeline and a future coach that will realize hockey is about puck possession. And the Reinhart you are watching now won't bear much of a resemblance to the Reinhart we'll see in a couple years.

GO SABRES!!!

Jeremy White's McDavid updates on Twitter are really annoying and basically in the tone you describe. Our chances of landing him, at best, are 20% and that ignores the part where Carolina is on track to never win a game again.

I'd be just as happy with Eichel who is off to a 3g 3a start after his first three games in a much more difficult league to play in.

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

Sad thing is I just want to finish last knowing we are guarnteed at least Eichel because I believe we ain't gonna get McDavid. Nhl knows Buffalo is a hockey town and will sell tickets. Markets like Carolina, Florida and Arizona need help to sell tickets. This is part of the reason why I don't think we land McDavid.

Yes I know their is a lottery ball system but it's not like your seeing it done in front of you. Plus u don't think the NHL isn't hip to what is going on in Buffalo.

They ain't even worth watching this year. It's pathetic and just think if u were a player. It's like u go into every game knowing your gonna lose but just by how much. Not fun at all for a player or fan.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

U can call it what u want conspiracy theories or not but no one sees the lottery done live on tv as the balls are getting pulled. I just don't like the fact that all non-playoff teams have a shot at the 1st overall pick when u have teams that clearly are in need of help. I don't like that a team that just barely misses the playoffs could land that pick when a team that's way worse is in dire need of that kind a player . NFL draft has it right. Not many teams tank on purpose and it's been all over Buffalo about tanking. Come on even when I was in Cali Sabres fans talking it's all about McDavid. Plus when was the last time anything has worked out for the city of Buffalo? Bills 0-4, Sabres 0-2. Starting to look like the Cubs.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I don't think the tank is even close to half over. We are being thoroughly manhandled and outclassed on the ice. Heck, we can't even get the puck. To me, the lopsided SOG and our inability to even break 15 SOG per game only tells part of the story. It's men against boys (and broken down old men) and each game is like a game of keep away.

While our prospects mature, this organization has to take a close look at itself. There has always been a lot of cronyism in this organization. It has now turned rancid with the Pegula administration.Theodore Black, Clifford Benson, Joe Battista, crony backslappers all. The parade of amateurs running the show starts with Brett Ruff, Jessica Kindron, Mark Jakubowski. Rob Murphy, Kyle Liebzak, Danny Flynn, Tom Coolen, Jason Long, Dave Williams and Tim Macre, the "trainer." Rip Simonick, you're in the Sabres HOF...you can wear the jacket but please retire. I can't stand the whole lot of them.

The problem is no one will trade with us because our our players have nothing to offer or are so devalued, they'll get nothing in return. Plus I can see no one wants to come here because we are a minor league organization with a primitive retread coach and a first time GM in place.

I believe since the day Pegula and his fracking buddies stepped in, we have been cursed and we will continue to be cursed.

Edited by 716

When will the conspiracy theories end? The NHL isn't going to rig the lottery. They don't give a ###### if we will sell tickets without McDavid or not. Whoever wins the lottery gets him.

Correct.

U can call it what u want conspiracy theories or not but no one sees the lottery done live on tv as the balls are getting pulled. I just don't like the fact that all non-playoff teams have a shot at the 1st overall pick when u have teams that clearly are in need of help. I don't like that a team that just barely misses the playoffs could land that pick when a team that's way worse is in dire need of that kind a player . NFL draft has it right. Not many teams tank on purpose and it's been all over Buffalo about tanking. Come on even when I was in Cali Sabres fans talking it's all about McDavid. Plus when was the last time anything has worked out for the city of Buffalo? Bills 0-4, Sabres 0-2. Starting to look like the Cubs.

You are saying 2 different things here -- first, that you suspect the lottery to be rigged and second, that you don't like the lottery system itself.

Then, you say that not many teams tank on purpose, but that the Sabres are clearly tanking on purpose.

Then, you say that Buffalo gets hosed all the time.

Bottom line is that it sounds like you want McDavid, you're PO'd that the Sabres probably won't get him and are just throwing a ton of inconsistent crap against the wall.

So let's see next year we will add Reinhart, Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, and Zadorov (most likely) to Rochester. Hurley, Compher, and maybe Possler as well. Most likely see Grigorenko, Armia, Pysyk, and McCabe graduate to full time Sabre duty. Plus the top pick this year could be added to the Sabres. Should be nice 2 years and 3 years from now when this team has more talent than spots.

So let's see next year we will add Reinhart, Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, and Zadorov (most likely) to Rochester. Hurley, Compher, and maybe Possler as well. Most likely see Grigorenko, Armia, Pysyk, and McCabe graduate to full time Sabre duty. Plus the top pick this year could be added to the Sabres. Should be nice 2 years and 3 years from now when this team has more talent than spots.

Sounds right. I think the time line is something like this:

2015: still bad, but not dreadful, and fun to watch some of the kids.

2016: fringe playoff team

2017: solid playoff team, possibly a contender depending on development and acquisitions

You are saying 2 different things here -- first, that you suspect the lottery to be rigged and second, that you don't like the lottery system itself.

Then, you say that not many teams tank on purpose, but that the Sabres are clearly tanking on purpose.

Then, you say that Buffalo gets hosed all the time.

Bottom line is that it sounds like you want McDavid, you're PO'd that the Sabres probably won't get him and are just throwing a ton of inconsistent crap against the wall.

But hey, at least he finally stopped suggesting that Darcy will lead Phoenix to the lottery win.

Might look ugly until then.

I get a kick out of posts like this. I really do. I remember when I was young,… and had hope,… and was really stupid. ;)

This assumes that not only are all these guys going to end up as NHL players, but really good NHL players, good enough to lift the Sabres to the top of the league. I just don't see it.

Might look ugly until then.

And it might only look average when we get there.

Go Tank.

I get a kick out of posts like this. I really do. I remember when I was young,… and had hope,… and was really stupid. ;)

This assumes that not only are all these guys going to end up as NHL players, but really good NHL players, good enough to lift the Sabres to the top of the league. I just don't see it.

And it might only look average when we get there.

Go Tank.

That's my great fear.... that our tank and rebuild will not be anywhere near as successful as was Chicago's.

And I think of Chicago as the Gold Bar Standard in Tank 'N Rebuild.

How is it possible that the most successful of the 4 professional leagues does not have a draft lottery?

Somebody explain why the NHL has to have a lottery? Because Bettman came from the NBA which also has a lottery(Bettman hire in 93, lottery implemented in 95)?

So what if a team tanks for one year, two year, or even more?

How is it possible that the most successful of the 4 professional leagues does not have a draft lottery?

Somebody explain why the NHL has to have a lottery? Because Bettman came from the NBA which also has a lottery(Bettman hire in 93, lottery implemented in 95)?

So what if a team tanks for one year, two year, or even more?

Because of Pittsburgh and Ottawa.