The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

But we also have Ristolainen the 8th overall, Grigorenko the 12th overall, Girgensons the 14th overall, Zadorov the 16th overall, Pysyk the 23rd overall. Myers the 12th overall, Ennis the 26th overall, plus whatever we add with the 3 first rounders this year. I want McDavid or Eichel but honestly, we don't have to get them to win, it would just help justify the suffering and elevate the talent level faster.

There are a lot of defense on that list and little top ten scoring. Jury is still out on Ennis and Grigs but i do not see Girgs being an elite scorer. A solid 3C pk, shut down type player and that is ok. If Armia (16th?) can score 30 and any of Baptiste, Fasching, Compher, Possler, et al are 25/50 guys then I might agree with you. But Having a McEichel that other teams have to game plan for makes our chances that much better.

Our opening night roster looks a heck of a lot different than the AHL lineup we ended last year with. It is amazing what a (seemingly) competent GM can do in a short period of time.

A Tim Murray post wingfest crap has more hockey knowledge and balls than Darcy Regier.

I think it's a bit premature to be talking about selling. Who are they going to sell? The guys they just signed won't go anywhere...they brought their families and bought houses. Buffalo already has a difficult time acquiring decent free agents, but you want their rep to include the words "cut throat" and "disloyal"?

Unless Stafford kills it out of the gate, we'll be fortunate if he gets more than a bag of pucks at the deadline.

Who is going to want the remaining bunch of under-achievers on a bottom-dwelling team? If the idea is to tank, pretty much all of the liquid assets on the roster will have very little value.

On the flip side of that, what if this roster starts to "gel"? That would limit who would/should be up for trading.

Really, right now the big picture is obscured by the hazy, fuzzy here and now. I think by December it'll be far more clear what will be happening at the trade deadline and July 1.

I think it's a bit premature to be talking about selling. Who are they going to sell? The guys they just signed won't go anywhere...they brought their families and bought houses. Buffalo already has a difficult time acquiring decent free agents, but you want their rep to include the words "cut throat" and "disloyal"?

Unless Stafford kills it out of the gate, we'll be fortunate if he gets more than a bag of pucks at the deadline.

Who is going to want the remaining bunch of under-achievers on a bottom-dwelling team? If the idea is to tank, pretty much all of the liquid assets on the roster will have very little value.

On the flip side of that, what if this roster starts to "gel"? That would limit who would/should be up for trading.

Really, right now the big picture is obscured by the hazy, fuzzy here and now. I think by December it'll be far more clear what will be happening at the trade deadline and July 1.

There are plenty of guys on one-year deals that could be flipped. Stafford and Stewart topping the list (Stewart will have value) and then Meszaros and Benoit being right there (them just being signed means nothing since they were vets on one-year deals who knew what they signed up for). The two dmen won't bring back much but somebody will pay either a mid-round pick or a mid-level prospect for cheap defense to add depth.

I could see Stewart sticking around here, but I think Stafford's just about done. I don't see them both being kept long term.

Meszaros is a pretty damning addition. There was no reason to add him other than in an attempt to win more games this year (IMO, the marginal benefit of a possible late second rounder is far out weighed by the season long improvement on the blue-line) . We are not icing the worst possible roster. Murray is not all in on the tank (yet).

There are plenty of guys on one-year deals that could be flipped. Stafford and Stewart topping the list (Stewart will have value) and then Meszaros and Benoit being right there (them just being signed means nothing since they were vets on one-year deals who knew what they signed up for). The two dmen won't bring back much but somebody will pay either a mid-round pick or a mid-level prospect for cheap defense to add depth.

I could see Stewart sticking around here, but I think Stafford's just about done. I don't see them both being kept long term.

Plus both goalies. I hope Enroth/Neuvirth tears it up early thus inflating their value so that GMTM can ship out the better one in December. There are many options to torpedo this team in December or January should they start exceeding expectations. Could they pull a Cleveland Indians ala Major Leage and "succeed" with a run to 9th place despite managements best efforts to hinder them? Sure, anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it. The tank is only 1/2 over. We've come this far, now let's allow GMTM to provide us with the tools to finish the job.

This season is going to be awful.

F### the Tank!

Believe me if things go right and you get to watch McDavid or Eichel for 10-15 years in a Sabres uni, you won't be complaining about 1 more "awful" season.

What will be truly awful is watching the Sabres win a few more games and end up 10th in the East.

I'll be the first to say. Lets Go Columbus! My magic number for last place is at 164, lets make it 162 after game 1!

Believe me if things go right and you get to watch McDavid or Eichel for 10-15 years in a Sabres uni, you won't be complaining about 1 more "awful" season.

What will be truly awful is watching the Sabres win a few more games and end up 10th in the East.

I'll be the first to say. Lets Go Columbus! My magic number for last place is at 164, lets make it 162 after game 1!

Yes. Last season, for the most part, I silently watched the Sabres games. This year I will be loudly rooting against them. Such a weird time.

Meszaros is a pretty damning addition. There was no reason to add him other than in an attempt to win more games this year (IMO, the marginal benefit of a possible late second rounder is far out weighed by the season long improvement on the blue-line) . We are not icing the worst possible roster. Murray is not all in on the tank (yet).

Agreed. The tank is over. I see hockey trades from here on in (as opposed to our players for collections of picks).

Here's another you heard it here first. The biggest trade the Sabres will be involved in this season will move one or more of our firsts for a bonafide, established stud with contract remaining.

BOOM!

Edited by weave

I'm already on record...except for the games I am at in person, I will be hoping for GREAT play by the young core, but may they lose game after game after game. If Gionta, Gorges, Moulson, Benoit, Mezsaros, etc... f*** this tank up, the blame will go at the feet of TM.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a party.

And what if we get neither? Didn't we already just lose a lottery? What if we get one of them and they get a career ending injury in training camp? What if they are great, but the rest of the team stinks? One player doesn't guarantee a Cup. There are plenty of ifs, and to throw away yet another season (making it 2+ now) is horseshit.

It was an idea sold by someone who was here too long and ran out of good ideas to build a team. It's now perpetuated (smartly BTW) by someone who gets a free pass in his first couple of years.

The reason I originally said that this season was going to awful isn't really about the hockey, It's that I'm going to have to hear, ad nauseam, about how I just "don't get it." Look, I get it,… and I get it, … and I ###### GET IT. I just don't agree with it.

Also, If I want to watch guys "develop", I'll watch the AHL, CHL, CCHL, NCAA,…………………