Tyler Myers going forward

LGR4GM

David Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod

Sabres also quite active. Talks with Red Wings on Myers are apparently still active.

Besides Mantha, who does Detroit have that we would be interested in?

If I'm Myers, Detroit is the best place I could imagine be traded to. Solid foundation and a solid history of developing players.

Hard to give up Myers now after he started to come around more and more. Funny how he was Enemy #1 when he was a nightly disaster though. Good for him for showing at least a bit more later on in the season.

Hopefully we hold onto him but if you get a good deal you gotta do it.

If the Sabres trade Myers now I'll be dumbfounded.

There will be no clearer signal about the tank though. No name/credential goal tenders and no name defense. A nice recipe for the tank.

Maybe Murray wants to give myers that 1 season.

Like: Ok dude... you are the #1 D-Men here is your chance prove us what you are worth.

This might be the last chance for the Sabres to do that. They will be bad this season again and they can easily see if Myers is still that unconsistent dude or if he answers the bell.

Edited by Peppy22

If the Sabres trade Myers now I'll be dumbfounded.

Why? If they go out tomorrow and sign Quincy and Niskanen it's basically a wash. There is also Orpik, Strallman, Tallinder, Meszaros, there are quite a few guys we could potentially sign.

Maybe something along the lines of Franzen, Kindl, Mantha and a 2015 pick?

That would be a great trade... for us. I don't see the Wings trading Mantha plus a ton of things for Myers. I am not sure you could get them to part with Mantha and I believe I read a report saying he was off limits.

I'm making two assumptions about Tyler Myers right now:

1. Murray isn't shopping him, merely taking offers.

2. Murray sees him as our number 1 defenseman.

Agree with the first point, but completely disagree with the 2nd point. If Murray thought he had our #1 defender in Myers he wouldn't be trading him.

@RealKyper: Trade market prices remained extremely high through #NHL draft. # Sabres ask for Tyler Myers was 3 pièces including a 1st round pick.

That's a good bar to set on Myers. Now that we have moved on from Ehrhoff, now more than ever it is important to have Myers on the team. Aside from Weber, he's the longest tenured defensemen. (Barring: a one year resign of Tallinder.) I don't want to see him traded unless its a monumental trade in our favor.

If Detroit really is the team wanting the trade...

2015 1st, Riley Sheahan, and ????? this is where I can't figure out who fills this last spot of the trade. Their rostered forwards are not numerous or they are not guys we would be able to trade for.

Why? If they go out tomorrow and sign Quincy and Niskanen it's basically a wash. There is also Orpik, Strallman, Tallinder, Meszaros, there are quite a few guys we could potentially sign.

That would be a great trade... for us. I don't see the Wings trading Mantha plus a ton of things for Myers. I am not sure you could get them to part with Mantha and I believe I read a report saying he was off limits.

Agree with the first point, but completely disagree with the 2nd point. If Murray thought he had our #1 defender in Myers he wouldn't be trading him.

Where has it been said that Myers is being traded?

If I'm Myers, Detroit is the best place I could imagine be traded to. Solid foundation and a solid history of developing players.

The Red Wings are hardly in ascendancy. I think they are where the Sabres were 4 or 5 years ago... trying to tweak the core when it really needs to be blown up.

Guest Sloth

Where has it been said that Myers is being traded?

Know it's already been mentioned above, but w/ Ehrhoff being bought out, the Sabres plan to keep Myers. He won't be traded and I have no objection to that. To think Buffalo's d' will eventually have Myers, Pysyk, McCabe, Zadorov, Ristolainen and a hard hitting, stay at home veteran. Orpik would be someone to consider. He'll be a UFA next season. Orpik is about to turn 34 though. May not be that useful in 2 years, but I would want a player like him.

Edited by thanes16

Because:

1) they need his $$$ against the cap

2) no free agent other than bottom feeding scrubs and has beens are signing with the Sabres

3) they need someone to buy beers for the rest of the D as they'll all be kids (ok weber or McBain may still be around but you get my point)

Quincey sucks and neither of those players has the upside Myers does. Again, he may never reach it, but I don't move him and replace him with players who can never reach it.

Why does everyone assume the build has to be with guys currently on the roster or in our system? Trade Myers if you think there are better options available elsewhere, either via trade or free agency (e.g. Orpik).

Personally, I think Murray is going to make several moves to make this "his team" rather than build around Darcy's guys. Rumor is the Coyotes are shopping Keith Yandle. If Murray can bring in a guy like Yandle then I'm all for trading Myers.

I am not quoting ppl but I disagree with most of it. Myers isn't the future of our defense core. He is a 318 games over the course of 5 seasons. If he was 6'2" 200lbs we wouldn't be talking about his "potential" we would be talking about a 3/4 guy with good puck moving abilities who has problems executing at game speed.

If you could trade Tyler Myers to Detroit for their 2015 1st rounder (will be in the late teens most likely) Sheahan and something else, I would do it because I think it would make us a better hockey club in 2-3 years where as in 2-3years we will still be sitting here talking about Myers potential.

I am not quoting ppl but I disagree with most of it. Myers isn't the future of our defense core. He is a 318 games over the course of 5 seasons. If he was 6'2" 200lbs we wouldn't be talking about his "potential" we would be talking about a 3/4 guy with good puck moving abilities who has problems executing at game speed.

If you could trade Tyler Myers to Detroit for their 2015 1st rounder (will be in the late teens most likely) Sheahan and something else, I would do it because I think it would make us a better hockey club in 2-3 years where as in 2-3years we will still be sitting here talking about Myers potential.

The deal you stated with Sheahan and a 1st, and possibly another piece, that would be the right kind of deal. I just meant otherwise, there's no point to.

The deal you stated with Sheahan and a 1st, and possibly another piece, that would be the right kind of deal. I just meant otherwise, there's no point to.

Oh no I wouldn't do it just to do it. I am not advocating shipping him off for the poops and giggles of it. Detroit however has some items that I think would benefit us more in 2-3years than Tyler Myers.

I think I agree with the idea that Murray is planning on making Myers the big man on defense, but I hope he doesn't plan on making a sweeping judgment of any players based on this upcoming season.

Solid endorsement (unsolicited I believe) for Myers on GMTM's HH appearance this AM. Maybe he's trying to drive up the price, but he laughed off the offers of a late first round pick for Myers (or Foligno) and said they are guys he likes and is planning to build around.

It was unsolicited and it should put to rest those whispers that he sees Myers as a mid-pairing guy.

He endorsed him as one of the guys he wants to build around and scoffed at the idea he could have been had for the 10th pick in the draft.

And I'd encourage those who haven't to give it a listen. It's toward the end of the interview.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/93754870/630-tim-murray-on-hockey.htm?pageid=1114813

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.