Tyler Myers going forward

LGR4GM

I've been saying to trade Myers since year 1. Why stop now?

Here's my theory....if he can get it done, he moves Myers and a 2nd next year for Detroit's 1st this year, an ok prospect, and a vet forward who is overpayed but who can help. Think Franzen.

They draft Bennett at #2, then draft Barbashev or Larkin with #15. To replace Myers, they draft Bennett's teammate, McKowen at #31. If he gets the extra 1st this year without losing a 2nd this year, they may gamble on Ville Husso in net with their last 2nd. De Leo and Mistele are my best guesses for the other 2nd and maybe first in the 3rd.

I think that's why Murray says he has complicated ideas for an hour. If he moves Myers or Ehrhoff, he probably wants another body on D fairly early. If not, maybe it's all forwards. Having 5 of the top 50 can afford you to gamble on a goalie then and go 3-1-1.....

I do not think Tyler Myers should be moved to forward.

On the contrary I think he'd make an excellent forward.

sorry Josie and Glass Case, but this thread has nothing to do with Myers being moved to the forward position - "moving forward" = what to do with him in the future = does he stay or go

Glass Case, you may have been joking, I don't know

I understand all that, but think going forward he should be moved to forward.

I've been saying to trade Myers since year 1. Why stop now?

Here's my theory....if he can get it done, he moves Myers and a 2nd next year for Detroit's 1st this year, an ok prospect, and a vet forward who is overpayed but who can help. Think Franzen.

They draft Bennett at #2, then draft Barbashev or Larkin with #15. To replace Myers, they draft Bennett's teammate, McKowen at #31. If he gets the extra 1st this year without losing a 2nd this year, they may gamble on Ville Husso in net with their last 2nd. De Leo and Mistele are my best guesses for the other 2nd and maybe first in the 3rd.

I think that's why Murray says he has complicated ideas for an hour. If he moves Myers or Ehrhoff, he probably wants another body on D fairly early. If not, maybe it's all forwards. Having 5 of the top 50 can afford you to gamble on a goalie then and go 3-1-1.....

Bennett, Barbashev, McKeown would be a hell of a good draft haul.

Myers for Barbashev, Tatar and Sheahan is probably fair value.

But I hate to be giving up the best player. And Myers is the best player.

I agree with LGR that Myers has processing problems. They are due to overthinking.

This is a guy who just needs to play, not think.

That's why he regressed under Rolston, and why Teddy is good for him.

The perfect Buffalo story would be Myers gets traded, fails the physical, then has to retire because of Marfan and we lose Myers without getting anything.

Don't really think it's appropriate to joke about Marfan right now...

I am happy to trade any guy if the price is right.

However, Myers price is high. I think he breaks out next season. He is still a young guy and has been maturing whilst asked to shoulder the workload with Ehrhoff. He will do well this season - if we trade him i bet we end up kicking ourselves

But you see, that is the thing. It is always "he is going to break out next year", and then the excuses come out when it doesn't happen. When is enough, enough? There is no reason to believe he will be much better this year than last. He certainly had his moments under Nolan, but I wasn't impressed enough to revamp my opinion of him. It seems there is a contingent out there (and this isn't directed at you personally) that are just so willing to delude themselves with Myers. When he plays well, the "look, he is a superstar!" starts coming out in spades...while the sub-par games are quickly swept under the rug. Its almost like they have their own personal money invested in Myers and can't accept a loss on that investment.

The confident Myers is a completely different animal from the tentative Myers. The tentative Myers is terrible. It's hard to imagine a player with as much size and skill being so bad as to be the worst player on the ice. The confident Myers is very, very good and could get a lot better.

The instant Nolan got hold of Myers he became a lot different than the Rolston Myers. He wasn't instantly great or even very good but there was a noticeable and substantial change. After awhile, it was almost exclusively the confident Myers. Coaching really can make a huge difference in certain players, other players are entirely self-motivated.

To me, we cannot trade Myers right now unless it was an outrageous deal. Nolan really can bring out the confident Myers on a consistent basis. If he gets to the point that he plays an entire season as the confident Myers, it could propel him to the player most of us have imagined. He was clearly our best player for some stretches. It's a shame he got hurt. We have to see if Nolan can keep his head right this coming season.

The confident Myers is merely a capable defenseman. The only reason why he looks so good when he is playing with confidence, is because of how awful he was prior to that.

I'm interested in seeing Myers under Nolan for a year. I think there's some swagger to his game that he doesn't always utilize. I think Nolan might be able to keep him pointed in the right direction. But then again he could just be what we think he is: average.

Sorry for all the new thread haters but everyone is discussing this in 3 different threads. Lets consolidate it.

Rumor is Detroit wants Tyler Myers. The price is unknown. Now I have openly argued that Tyler Myers is maxed out for the most part. He will be a 30-40pt a year defender and is a 3/4 guy. His physical talent does not match his mental limitations.

Now some have argued against this with some good points including his improvement last year. No one wants to see him shipped off and then turn into a star. That would make us look like crap.

So where do you see Myers going forward? Does the Detroit rumor interest you at all and if so what would it take to get Myers? Do you think his value is low? Do you want Myers on this team for another year or 3 or 6? What in your mind is Tyler Myers potential from here on out? I have stated mine, now it is your turn.

If a mod has the free time combining the other discussions on this would be helpful.

I hear what you are saying, and that is hard to argue, but quite frankly, I am not concerned about Tyler Myers the moment he is off our team. I am only concerned about the guy or guys we have coming back. If he does well, and our guys do well...then great! Losing trades is always tough to swallow, but these are risks that have to be taken sometimes, and you can't be afraid to take said risks for fear of that player doing well in the future.

Edited by DHawerchuk10

Woah...

NBC's Pierre McGuire says #Canucks might have cleared cap space to try & acquire #Sabres D Tyler Myers. $5.5M cap hit, 5 yrs remaining.

That one shocks the hell out of me, but Maguire is connected.

Two of 6, 24, Horvat and Shinkaruk, plus a salary dump?

Edited by dudacek

The biggest problem with trading Myers is we need salary to hit the cap floor and he is our highest paid player. We'd need to add some overpriced guys that other teams want to trade to clear cap room (which shouldn't be too hard for Murray to make happen).

I think this is what Murray meant when he talked about having some complicated ideas.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.