Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

1. He played for the Amerks one season

2. Before that, he played a lot of games against the Amerks for the Maine Mariners, and I remember being little and seeing him get into tons of fights. The Amerks had quite a few brawlers on those teams

3. I remember seeing him score a playoff goal against the Sabres (1988?) on TV and people threw shoes on the ice.

he was playing for boston at the time, and he was just the biggest goon i had ever seen (which, at the time, was a very limited sampling, but holy shizac, he definitely defined the part for me). i don't remember if it was 88 or 89, but yah ... he was a presence.

EDIT: it was the 87-88 season, and the only goal he scored in the NHL playoffs, according to hockeydb.

Edited by Chris_in_UT

he was playing for boston at the time, and he was just the biggest goon i had ever seen (which, at the time, was a very limited sampling, but holy shizac, he definitely defined the part for me). i don't remember if it was 88 or 89, but yah ... he was a presence.

EDIT: it was the 87-88 season, and the only goal he scored in the NHL playoffs, according to hockeydb.

Shoebottom, when I was a kid, always reminded me of Racki from Youngblood for some reason.

He played on an Amerks team for the ages. Roster was loaded and lots of cameos by future NHLers. Oh, that was also Olie the goalie's rental season with the Merks.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000031993.html

I was always surprised Ciavaglia never got a real shot at the NHL. He put up good numbers in college, AHL, and IHL

Shoebottom, when I was a kid, always reminded me of Racki from Youngblood for some reason.

Kinda resembles him...

4874-411Bk.jpg

I was always surprised Ciavaglia never got a real shot at the NHL. He put up good numbers in college, AHL, and IHL

He and Tim Tookey.

Just witnessed the Oilers actually dominate in the Wings zone and fight back to tie it up.

And then they turned around and got a stupid penalty behind the Detroit net before a too-many-men penalty on the penalty kill.

And they blew the ###### game with 30 seconds to go. What a joke.

Edited by Tank

That high school cut myth continues to live on

Don't worry. I always tell people how much ###### it is. I just needed it for the joke.

Can't stand Michael.

Every kid knows that if you didn't make the varsity team, you were cut. Doesn't matter if you play JV or not.

Sophomores generally weren't allowed to play varsity at most high schools back then.

Don't worry. I always tell people how much ###### it is. I just needed it for the joke.

Can't stand Michael.

Sophomores generally weren't allowed to play varsity at most high schools back then.

MJ's friend, a sophomore made the varsity team. I'm not going to finish the rest of this argument/civil discussion because I ###### hate Michael Jordan! And his hall of fame speech cemented his complete douchebaggeryness for the rest of time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.