Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Hey, MacTavish did say he believed in bold moves. Thinking Roy, at this stage in his career, is going to help anything is indeed bold.

I think this bodes well for the Sabres' tank. Say what you want about Roy, but he's a leader and a veteran presence that could give their stable of young guys some confidence. I could see how he wouldn't work on other teams, but I think the Oilers are a perfect fit.

Hey, MacTavish did say he believed in bold moves. Thinking Roy, at this stage in his career, is going to help anything is indeed bold.

I think you mean delusional

Multi-player deal coming?

Maybe with the Blues, who have the depth at centre and defence?

Nothing imminent but that trade deadline is fast approaching.

Chicago - Nashville game is a great one so far. Two best teams in the league going toe-to-toe in Chicago. 4-3 Nashville toward the end of the 2nd.

That was an entertaining game. What a luxury to have Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Seabrook, Keith,,,,,,,

The Oilers traded for Roy rather then picking him up on waivers, because if he was claimed on waivers he could not be traded at the deadline if they are inclined to do so

I've also read that there was a need for Nashville to retain salary and that Edmonton was at max contracts. Whatever. Clearly, though, this is a team that is serious about finishing last.

I've also read that there was a need for Nashville to retain salary and that Edmonton was at max contracts. Whatever. Clearly, though, this is a team that is serious about finishing last.

Maybe it's just willful ignorance on my part but I actually think Roy could help Edmonton. They are painfully in need of centers and Roy is a center who is defensively responsible. I know he hasn't produced offensively in a few years but maybe he can put up some kind of production playing with more skilled Edmonton forwards. Or maybe I'm just hoping so but it's definitely worth a shot on their part.

Maybe it's just willful ignorance on my part but I actually think Roy could help Edmonton. They are painfully in need of centers and Roy is a center who is defensively responsible. I know he hasn't produced offensively in a few years but maybe he can put up some kind of production playing with more skilled Edmonton forwards. Or maybe I'm just hoping so but it's definitely worth a shot on their part.

Oh, I'm just being mildly sarcastic. I agree that Roy can do nothing but help them.

I think it's amazing that we can all sit here and laugh about how silly it would be for pretty much any team to pick up Roy on waivers. But Edmonton does it and we're like "hmmm, not a bad move for them."

Holy crap is Edmonton messed up.

I think it's amazing that we can all sit here and laugh about how silly it would be for pretty much any team to pick up Roy on waivers. But Edmonton does it and we're like "hmmm, not a bad move for them."

Holy crap is Edmonton messed up.

Yes they are. They just traded for another soft squishy player, idiots. If I was the gm I'd be calling Buffalo and asking them what the price of Tim Schaller was, and Detroit about Sheahan. Those are the type of gritty centers they need for their high powered squishy wingers. Centers who can skate with size and grit.

Edited by LGR4GM

As one of the few on this forum who watched Roy play live on several occasions this year, he isn't a bad player. He just got caught up in a numbers game on a very deep team (Preds). I think the days of smallish centers in the NHL are numbered - with a few exceptions, of course. Roy is probably best off at wing at this point. But he can give you power play and/or penalty kill minutes and is still a pretty good assist guy. He has value somewhere in the league.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.