Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Wouldn't that be a deflection and not a kick? I'm not certain a player could kick at the puck without lifting a part of his blade off the ice.

Sure he could.  Try it with your shoes on a floor, and then think about how much slicker the ice is.

I don't think this promotes safety any better than the current rules do. It basically tells guys they can kick the puck in which will, no matter the rules, lead to more cases of guys kicking their skates up.

Not that it's a bad rule, just saying that it doesn't promote safety.

On top of this tweak I would want them to clarify that the skate must stay on the ice throughout the entire play. If the puck contacts the skate while it's entirely on the ice but through the motion the skate does come up then it should be waved off. I don't like anything that lets guys kick the puck in because I think it creates way more dangerous plays, but if you're going to do it go all the way.

This is my third edit, but: this would also rule out goals that happen right now that are allowed that still should be. Your skate comes off the ice when you're skating... If a guy shoots the puck and it deflects off a teammate's skate who has his foot in the air purely because it's his skating motion should it be ruled out?

Which is essentially what I'd said yesterday, in my original post in this thread on the subject:

In this league? That's rhetorical, right?

While in principle, I may agree that no kicked in goals should count; in reality, they are not going to go to a system where all pucks that touch a skate cannot score a goal. With that being the case, and realizing the no kicked in goals rule was implemented for player safety, it would be preferable that they go to a definition of what is and isn't allowable to be scored that is clear and subject to as little interpretation as possible. IMHO, that standard would be if the skate blade lifts off the ice then there is no goal; if the skate blade remains on the ice through the entire motion when contact with the puck occurs then a goal may be scored. Basically still saying a puck can't be kicked in, but giving a clear definition of 'kick' and also taking intent completely out of the equation.

Yes, needing to have the entire skate on the ice through the whole motion will on occassion cause a deflected goal off a player skating near the crease waived off; don't really see that as a huge problem as the rule would be extremely clear and not open to interpretation (if you need to magnify the skate in the replay to see if it was off the ice, then it was on the ice). It also should make the act of directing the puck w/ one's skate w/ intent to score safer for all the surrounding pkayers as if the skate kicks up, it's not a goal.

Wouldn't that be a deflection and not a kick? I'm not certain a player could kick at the puck without lifting a part of his blade off the ice.

Sure he could.  Try it with your shoes on a floor, and then think about how much slicker the ice is.

What he said.

Basically it would allow guys to make a soccer pass to try to get the puck in the net but they couldn't wind up nor have a follow through so large it takes the skate off the ice.

One gray area that springs up is a defenseman drilling the guy causing his foot to lift. In that case, just ottomh, I'd suggest the goal shouldn't count and the player should have gotten his stick on it. & if the D-man committed a penalty, then there's a powerplay; if not, we've added a bit more clean contact to the game. That's a good thing, right?

Which is essentially what I'd said yesterday, in my original post in this thread on the subject:

Yes, needing to have the entire skate on the ice through the whole motion will on occassion cause a deflected goal off a player skating near the crease waived off; don't really see that as a huge problem as the rule would be extremely clear and not open to interpretation (if you need to magnify the skate in the replay to see if it was off the ice, then it was on the ice). It also should make the act of directing the puck w/ one's skate w/ intent to score safer for all the surrounding pkayers as if the skate kicks up, it's not a goal.

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing this as advocating safety. I think it does the opposite. It tells players that they are allowed to kick the puck into the net. When players are desperate around the net there would be far more cases of players getting kicked and skates coming up regardless of the rule. It's like the high stick rule... Guys don't not do it just because it's a rule. They want to put the puck in the net and let it get figured out after.

Probably put him in the top 5 for assists on our team that season

(T-21st of 39)

Skaters with equal or fewer assists for the Sabres that year: Ellis, Ristolainen, Sulzer, Omark, Grigorenko, Varone, Ruhwedel, Konopka, Porter, McCabe, Tropp, Scott, Deslaurier, Adam, Mitchell, Zadorov, McNabb, Stewart, Kaleta.

Goals off skates should be allowed, period. The idea that it's unsafe otherwise makes no sense. Players still do it so safety has nothing to do with it. As it is now, it's just a disallowed goal. So does disallowing a goal make it safer? 

It's ok for a defender to kick the puck away from goal, is this a safer motion than a forward kicking toward a goal? 

Take away the grey area and make goals legal off skates, period. Safety has nothing to do with it. 

Good to see my helmet at least has one star! d4rk would never have let me buy it/wear it if he hadn't believed it was the safest out there. I got a helluva concussion a couple months ago, but I guess everyone just says, "imagine if you hadn't been wearing it or had a cheapo one on". Turns out the cheapo one might've been better according to these studies!  

There was an article in Motorcyclist around 10 years ago that found the same thing. Look below for the whole helmet-stiffness-acceleration discussion, but essentially the expensive helmets were focused on managing high-energy collisions which meant they were less than ideal at managing the much more common low-mid energy impacts.

I'm a little perplexed that the manufacturers seem to think the goal of helmets is to prevent skull fractures. Who the hell gets skull fractures anymore? Didn't forcing players to wear helmets pretty much solve that? 

I think hockey helmets are primarily, as others have said, for keeping sharp, hard, and/or fast moving objects from cracking the skull. I haven't picked up a hockey helmet in a very long time, but from the looks of them on the TV it doesn't look like they have the space to manage the energy in head-other player or head-immovable object collision.

Maybe we can resurrect that long thread about helmets (and the guy that refused to believe that wrapping a soft layer on the outside would help) if we want more detail, but in essence every helmet is compromise in terms of concussions. The designer has to look at the space he has to work with, the weight of the head, and the expected velocity the head will be stopped from. Without getting too math-y, the longer the distance the head has to slow down, the better; that's why the great-gazoo helmets are generally more protective. The issue is, if you can only really optimize for a narrow range of velocity. If a helmet is ideal for stopping a head from 25 MPH to 0, if the head hits at 30 MPH it will compress all the foam and contact the plastic (bad news). The less thought of issue is if the head hits at 10 MPH, the foam isn't going to compress all the way so the head experiences more force than would be ideal (it's being stopped in a shorter distance, so the force goes up).

They're going to face a ton of resistance from the players. That's the problem. Hockey is a very image oriented sport. The players don't want to look stupid, so they opt to wear helmets like mine even though there are lids out there that offer better. 

As adults, we often have the option to look stupid or risk being stupid for a long time. :(

Jersey changes for the upcoming season:

Arizona is getting new home and roads, may get a new logo. Likely to mix in their old styling

Washington is getting a new alternate, likely a red version of what they have now

Colorado and Buffalo are dropping their thirds

Isles are getting a new alternate as they move to Brooklyn

Anaheim is getting a new third

Jersey changes for the upcoming season:

Arizona is getting new home and roads, may get a new logo. Likely to mix in their old styling

Washington is getting a new alternate, likely a red version of what they have now

Colorado and Buffalo are dropping their thirds

Isles are getting a new alternate as they move to Brooklyn

Anaheim is getting a new third

I like Arizona's a lot right now, it's one of my favorite in the league.

The Isle's and Duck's could be interesting, though again I like the Ducks and Colorado's 3rds as they are right now. I imagine the Duck's will throw back to the Mighty era

There damn well better be.  I don't know how anyone could argue against that being a case of assault.

Here is the story.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/andre-deveaux-s-arrest-ordered-after-on-ice-attack-in-sweden-1.3016543

I love how they, even in Sweden, have to say "wanted on suspicion of assault".

No suspension for #canucks Alex Burrows. Can't say the same for #jets Dustin Byfuglien. No final decision yet. #tvasports

Retweet
Favorite
More

Byfuglien didn't mean to fall on him with his stick across the back of his head; he was trying to hold himself up so he didn't fall on top of the Rangers player.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.