Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

If they're looking into it I assume they will overturn because it's absolute. If it were a goal even in the dying seconds of the third then I'm not sure what they would do... Being overtime is sudden death I think it'd be reversed. Hoping this one is to make tomorrow's Pittsburgh Ottawa game even more interesting.

Bob McKenzie just posted his end-of-season Coach's Poll...

20 out of 20 voted Carey Price for the Hart, Ovechkin second.

Calder: 8 to Johnny Hockey, 7 to Aaron Ekblad and 5 to Filip Forsberg.

(To me this one is wrong after number one and all on hype. Ekblad has less points in 17 more games than Dman John Klingberg of Dallas. Their stat lines are extremely close otherwise)

Norris: 8 to Karlsson, 4 to Doughty, 2 to She's Weber and Josi, and 1 to Subban, Giordano, Suter and Keith.

Stanley Cup: 11 to the Rangers, 3 to Anaheim and Los Angeles each, 2 to St. Louis and 1 to Chicago.

On who they hope wins the lottery: 7 chose Buffalo, 6 chose Arizona, 3 chose Toronto, 1 chose Columbus and 1 chose "whoever has the lowest odds."

http://www.tsn.ca/end-of-season-honours-and-mcdavid-1.249213

Edited by Tank

McKenzie:  Edmonton Could Have Two Shots at McDavid

Edmonton is in posession of Pit's first rounder, which would be a meager lottery pick, supposing the Penguins miss the playoffs.  An outside chance at getting both McDavid and a 3-5 overall pick is a nice thought.

In our court, Ottawa still has a chance to bump the Islanders, but OTT would need to win out while NYI collects zero points.  Pittsburgh and Detroit would also each have to win 2 out these last 3 to make that happen.  St Louis, of course, has clinched.

Edit: in the case NYI gets slammed out of the playoff race and then wins the lottery, we could instantly get both McDavid and EIchel.  If that's not bonerrific draft thinking, I'm not sure what is.  According to SportsClub Stats, the Islanders have a 99.9% chance of making the playoffs (not sure I believe it to that precision), making the chance we get McDavid and Eichel about 1 or 2 in 100000, if we succeed in our quest for 30th.

I'm saying there's a chance.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

McKenzie:  Edmonton Could Have Two Shots at McDavid

Edmonton is in posession of Pit's first rounder, which would be a meager lottery pick, supposing the Penguins miss the playoffs.  An outside chance at getting both McDavid and a 3-5 overall pick is a nice thought.

In our court, Ottawa still has a chance to bump the Islanders, but OTT would need to win out while NYI collects zero points.  Pittsburgh and Detroit would also each have to win 2 out these last 3 to make that happen.  St Louis, of course, has clinched.

Edit: in the case NYI gets slammed out of the playoff race and then wins the lottery, we could instantly get both McDavid and EIchel.  If that's not bonerrific draft thinking, I'm not sure what is.  According to SportsClub Stats, the Islanders have a 99.9% chance of making the playoffs (not sure I believe it to that precision), making the chance we get McDavid and Eichel about 1 or 2 in 100000, if we succeed in our quest for 30th.

I'm saying there's a chance.

Well, Edmonton getting McDavid with that hail mary slot in the lottery would at least be slightly more palatable than Pittsburgh getting him.

Pure speculation/fantasy land talk, but Hockey Central discussing the changes that would come in Pitt if they are bounced early/miss the playoffs and Malkin is mentioned. "do you trade him for a nice package? Or maybe the Leafs and Penguins work something out involving Malkin and Kessel?"

Thoughts? 

Pure speculation/fantasy land talk, but Hockey Central discussing the changes that would come in Pitt if they are bounced early/miss the playoffs and Malkin is mentioned. "do you trade him for a nice package? Or maybe the Leafs and Penguins work something out involving Malkin and Kessel?"

Thoughts?

While I'm not FrankenMalkin's biggest fan, I think he's twice the player Kessel is. Better be a whole lot more going back to the Pens.

Thoughts? 

I can't see the Penguins trading either of their big 2 ... Crosby and Malkin.

I think they will tinker with the supporting cast and possibly trade Fleury.  I think this will happen whether, or not, they make the playoffs.  They are just not scrappy enough, even for the less-scrappy Eastern Conference.

While I'm not FrankenMalkin's biggest fan, I think he's twice the player Kessel is. Better be a whole lot more going back to the Pens.

Kessel would be the last type of player they need too IMO, not a good trade there. If I'm the Pens and want to trade Malkin away, I look at LA as a partner.

I can't see the Penguins trading either of their big 2 ... Crosby and Malkin.

I think they will tinker with the supporting cast and possibly trade Fleury.  I think this will happen whether, or not, they make the playoffs.  They are just not scrappy enough, even for the less-scrappy Eastern Conference.

I agree they're not scrappy enough, but Malkin can be had for the right price IMO. He's a little injury prone, and his return could be huge. The Penguins are the only team that can afford moving a player like Malkin because they have Crosby, so they could really make out by trading him. Ship him and Kunitz off in the offseason and come out with a totally different look in 2016.

Fleury doesn't convince as playoff caliber, but he's far from their problem this year. I think it's what you mentioned and many others have said, they can't compete physically and get rattled. Add that with a big decline in offense this year and it's been big problems for them 

I think the appeal to trading Malkin would be you could dump millions off the books while acquiring young talented forwards on cost controlled RFA deals who could give Crosby the actual support cast he needs.  Imagine if Landeskog or Toffoli or some other young yet highly talented winger got to play with him.  I would trade Malkin because I think the return would make it worth it.  I think Malkin and Crosby have done all they can do together.  Pittsburgh seems to lack the ability to draft quality players so maybe they can trade for some good young guys. The price for Malkin would be huge though. 

Ottawa and Pittsburgh are playing, Ottawa is 2pts outside the playoffs and Pitts is 2 pts ahead of them.  It's like a one game playoff.  Ottawa's gt just got bumped but they counted the goal.  This one should be good.

Annnnddd it's 3-0

I think the appeal to trading Malkin would be you could dump millions off the books while acquiring young talented forwards on cost controlled RFA deals who could give Crosby the actual support cast he needs. Imagine if Landeskog or Toffoli or some other young yet highly talented winger got to play with him. I would trade Malkin because I think the return would make it worth it. I think Malkin and Crosby have done all they can do together. Pittsburgh seems to lack the ability to draft quality players so maybe they can trade for some good young guys. The price for Malkin would be huge though.

Completely stupid here but who says no:

To LA: Malkin, Fleury

To Pitt: Jonathan Quick, Tyler Toffoli

I feel like both say no because LA seeks to need Quick for any chance at success but Malkin might make them that much more talented and they've got a defensive system to protect Fleury when he falters. On Pittsburgh's side you might want more.

If they weren't in the same conference I would say maybe King Henrik for Malkin while the Rangers ride Talbot.

None of this is remotely likely but it's fun to think about.

Annnnddd it's 3-0

Looks like both NYI and the Pens will clinch (?) tonight.

EDIT:

Actually that is correct this isn't the CHL thread.

Also, looks like NYR will clinch the Presidents' Trophy and top seed in the East tonight.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Completely stupid here but who says no:

To LA: Malkin, Fleury

To Pitt: Jonathan Quick, Tyler Toffoli

I feel like both say no because LA seeks to need Quick for any chance at success but Malkin might make them that much more talented and they've got a defensive system to protect Fleury when he falters. On Pittsburgh's side you might want more.

If they weren't in the same conference I would say maybe King Henrik for Malkin while the Rangers ride Talbot.

None of this is remotely likely but it's fun to think about.

Toffoli is definitely the center-piece for Pitt in any deal involving LA, though I think you're right in that LA won't move Quick. Maybe something like...

To LA: Malkin (another piece)

To Pitt: Toffoli, Muzzen, Martin Jones

Another possibility I really like (or at least would be really fun hockey wise) is Malkin centering Ovechkin.

To Washington: Malkin

To Pitt: Tom Wilson, Kuznetsov, Joel Ward.(prospects/picks)

Wilson and Ward give Pittsburgh the grit they desperately need, and Malkin provides a great 1-2 center punch in Washington.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.