Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Those aren't worry beads.

You sicko!

Depends on who gets 'em.

I'm not worried about Carolina anymore.  The Maple Leafs are 12 ahead with a guaranteed tie breaker and if the Sabres get 13+, they'd likely be passing us for 27th, anyway.  I'd just prefer that they not be sticking around.  Now, if I were an Oilers fan (and maybe a Yotes fan), I'd definitely be concerned about them.

And, on some real, "Around the NHL" news: the Hamburglar got flame-broiled by the Rangers tonight.

Here's a bit about the Detroit player development system. They hold guys in the minors til they're over-ripe, not like Zadorov for example.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/two-over-ripened-red-wings-weigh-in-on-the-teams-developmental-philosophy

Nashville does the same.  Guys normally get 2-4 seasons in Milwaukee before getting a full time spot on the big club.  Same system in both places (which I think most teams do now).  So rookies play at a high level from the get-go.

Contrast that with the Edmonton philosophy, which has been a disaster.  That's why I cringe when everyone wants to rush our kids into the lineup.  Personally, I'd like to see Reinhart get time down on the farm in Rochester before playing in Buffalo.  Kid needs to learn the physical side of the game before being ready for the NHL.  That was obvious in his 9 game stint this year.

Weird scheduling quirk I just noticed:

Ottawa played the Rangers tonight and then go on to play Toronto, Florida, Detroit, Tampa and Washington.

Boston's next six games? The Rangers, Canes, Florida, Detroit, Toronto and Washington.

Aside from one opponent they have the exact same schedule over six games.

Nashville does the same.  Guys normally get 2-4 seasons in Milwaukee before getting a full time spot on the big club.  Same system in both places (which I think most teams do now).  So rookies play at a high level from the get-go.

Contrast that with the Edmonton philosophy, which has been a disaster.  That's why I cringe when everyone wants to rush our kids into the lineup.  Personally, I'd like to see Reinhart get time down on the farm in Rochester before playing in Buffalo.  Kid needs to learn the physical side of the game before being ready for the NHL.  That was obvious in his 9 game stint this year.

Early this year I expected Sam to spend most of next season in Ra-cha-cha. Now, I'd put it 40/60 Ra-cha-cha/Sabres. Primarily because he seems to be the only bright spot on his Junior squad and his WJC performance. Both Larsson & 'Mike' are showing they belong in the show and unless something goes kerplewy, they'll have 1 other young center that will be on the NHL roster which is why I've only altered my prediction to giving Sam a slightly less than 50% chance of being on the big club this next year.

I expect he starts out in Ra-cha-cha but is almost always the default call-up until he locks in.

Early this year I expected Sam to spend most of next season in Ra-cha-cha. Now, I'd put it 40/60 Ra-cha-cha/Sabres. Primarily because he seems to be the only bright spot on his Junior squad and his WJC performance. Both Larsson & 'Mike' are showing they belong in the show and unless something goes kerplewy, they'll have 1 other young center that will be on the NHL roster which is why I've only altered my prediction to giving Sam a slightly less than 50% chance of being on the big club this next year.

I expect he starts out in Ra-cha-cha but is almost always the default call-up until he locks in.

Sorry, are you thinking he starts in Rochester but plays 60 percent of the year on the big club? Just trying to reconcile those numbers. I'm probably just reading it wrong..

For my part, I'm thinking 75% that Sam starts and stays with Sabres next year, that's my guess!

Sorry, are you thinking he starts in Rochester but plays 60 percent of the year on the big club? Just trying to reconcile those numbers. I'm probably just reading it wrong..

For my part, I'm thinking 75% that Sam starts and stays with Sabres next year, that's my guess!

Oops. Meant 60/40. :bag:

Oops. Meant 60/40. :bag:

Thanks for clarifying! 

Ya, I could see it going either way. I think he will probably be ready to come in and play, but I wouldn't be strictly opposed to him starting in Rochester, and going from there. Depends how the line-up shakes out and we won't know that until training camp. 

When I think of next year's training camp, it makes me happy. No more of this hoping for loses stuff next season. Everyone will want wins!

Edited by Thorny

Buffalo needs to rush players' development because they don't have any good players on the big club to hold them down on the farm. This is what happened to Kane and Bogosian when they were on the Thrashers. They got big minutes as youngsters and they've become chronically injured because at first they were regulars; immature boys playing a man's game.  I know Buffalo's desperate but they have to bring them up when they're over-ripe, not when they're still green. Unless Buffalo holds their young players back like Detroit has I expect them to ruin their young players in one way or another.

Edited by 716

Seriously, the Sabres all but have 30th locked up. I feel almost content after last night's game.

It's not done yet.  I would say when the Sabres have 2 games left, if they still have a +4 lead, then you can feel content.  It's not over until the fat lady sings.

SiZzlEmIsTEr, on 27 Mar 2015 - 3:30 PM, said:

It's not done yet. I would say when the Sabres have 2 games left, if they still have a +4 lead, then you can feel content. It's not over until the fat lady sings.

Correct that it isn't done yet. But it will be as soon as the Yotes pick up / the Sabres lose 10 more points (out of 30 available) and when the Eulers pick up / the Sabres lose 9 more points (out of 32 available). Not sure that it'll take 6 more Sabres games to get there.

Correct that it isn't done yet. But it will be as soon as the Yotes pick up / the Sabres lose 10 more points (out of 30 available) and when the Eulers pick up / the Sabres lose 9 more points (out of 32 available). Not sure that it'll take 6 more Sabres games to get there.

Well, I wonder what the other teams in the league think of all of this, and if they plan on "contributing" to it.  They can easily derail the tank as much as a team not in the playoffs can mess with playoff slots.

Well, I wonder what the other teams in the league think of all of this, and if they plan on "contributing" to it.  They can easily derail the tank as much as a team not in the playoffs can mess with playoff slots.

What, are you suggesting that the Blackhawks are going to intentionally throw their game on the 3rd?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.