2014-2015 Roster

Stads

Given Murray's talk about focusing on improving the bottom six to give the kids some support, here's a sobering thought:

Stafford Stewart Ennis and Hodgson will almost certainly be in our top six next year and its unlikely we will add anyone significantly better.

Mitchell will have a spot on the fourth line and Kaleta should be given a shot to join him.

Zemgus, Foligno, Conacher and maybe the guy we pick at 2 will be asked to challenge for top nine spots.

And I expect at least two legitimate NHL players to be added through free agency and/or trade.

Larsson, Deslauriers and Flynn are the kids most likely to see bottom six work.

Unless Armia or Griorenko surprises, or Zemgus and Foligno take major leaps, it's going to be very, very hard to score goals.

Agreed, reinforcing TANK II, or for those of you who don't like the rehash of that name... how about the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes.

What I currently live through with the Sabres, I would compare with one of the best triologies of all time.

First there was "A new hope" with the firing of Regier and the hiring of Patty.

Then after Lafontaine resigned I felt like in "The mediocrity strikes back"

Next season it may be more like "The return of the tanks".

When we are succesful, hopefully McDavid will use his force for us the season after next season.

What I currently live through with the Sabres, I would compare with one of the best triologies of all time.

When we are succesful, hopefully McDavid will use his force for us the season after next season.

Murray says LA is his model. I guess that is a thumbs up to Dean Lombardi's approach to team building.

Assuming it doesn't continue on to "The Phantom Goal Scorer" (Leino, *cough cough*) Then I'd be okay with this.

I don't know if it has been discussed yet, but i figured this would be a good spot to ask:

How important could it be for this franchise to just bring back Ott first thing July 1? If Steve is willing to come back does that make other vet FA's listen and see what we have here? If we have a great draft does that help at all? I would think with Terrys bargaining power and the way this organization treats its players, some bigger names might be willing to listen if a guy like Ott is willing to come back.

Personally i see a higher chance of Moulson coming back than Ott, then again both said they liked it in buffalo. But Ott has alot of "friends" from dallas in st louis at the moment.

Given Murray's talk about focusing on improving the bottom six to give the kids some support, here's a sobering thought:

Stafford Stewart Ennis and Hodgson will almost certainly be in our top six next year and its unlikely we will add anyone significantly better.

Mitchell will have a spot on the fourth line and Kaleta should be given a shot to join him.

Zemgus, Foligno, Conacher and maybe the guy we pick at 2 will be asked to challenge for top nine spots.

And I expect at least two legitimate NHL players to be added through free agency and/or trade.

Unless Armia or Grigorenko surprises, or Zemgus and Foligno take major leaps, it's going to be very, very hard to score goals.

I agree with all of this, but am still (unrealistically) hoping for Callahan and/or another top 6 forward to be brought in over the summer.

I think the cold, hard truth is that the plan is to stink again next year in order to get McDavid or Eichel while the kids gain another year of seasoning, and then commence team-building in earnest.

Murray says LA is his model. I guess that is a thumbs up to Dean Lombardi's approach to team building.

How would you describe that model/approach?

In looking at their team makeup this playoffs, it looks like of their top 15 skaters (in terms of ice time) -- which includes every skater averaging over 14 minutes of ice time -- 8 are imports and 7 are homegrown.

However, their top 4 skaters in terms of ice time -- including their top 3 defensemen and their #1 center, plus their goalie -- are all home-grown.

In terms of scoring, 6 of their top 9 are home-grown, but #s 2, 3 and 4 are imports.

How would you describe that model/approach?

In looking at their team makeup this playoffs, it looks like of their top 15 skaters (in terms of ice time) -- which includes every skater averaging over 14 minutes of ice time -- 8 are imports and 7 are homegrown.

However, their top 4 skaters in terms of ice time -- including their top 3 defensemen and their #1 center, plus their goalie -- are all home-grown.

In terms of scoring, 6 of their top 9 are home-grown, but #s 2, 3 and 4 are imports.

I think Murray meant the composition of size and playing style. But I thought he may have been referring to acquisitions as well.

More of a hockey trade than a free agency route to complete that roster.

Edited by X. Benedict

I think Murray meant the composition of size and playing style. But I thought he may have been referring to acquisitions as well.

More of a hockey trade than a free agency route to complete that roster.

I would agree that it goes towards playing style, but also, much in the mold of Punch, having a willingness to make any move that makes the team better at the end of the day.

If Lombardi is TM's role model, I like him more. (I was already leaning that way.)

There are obviously going to be changes made to this roster before the start of next season. I have no idea what the free agency plan is or if they might make any draft day trades. I thought I'd try to guess the opening night roster for next season. I know I'm going to be way off, but here goes nothing:

Forwards

Hodgson- Girgensons- Stafford ( Really hope he gets traded and we sign Callahan or some other free agent)

Ennis- Reinhardt or Bennett- Stewart

Foligno- Flynn- Conacher

No clue on 4th line (hopefully doesn't include John Scott)

Defense:

Ehrhoff, Myers, Ristolainen, Pysyk, Weber, Zadorov

I realize the line combinations will be much different, but I tried to predict which forwards might be on the team.

I don't believe any of the youngsters see much NHL time, and certainly not our 2nd overall pick this draft.

It'll be a full on tank for McDavid.

I don't believe any of the youngsters see much NHL time, and certainly not our 2nd overall pick this draft.

It'll be a full on tank for McDavid.

Interesting, I had heard people think that our pick this year might not make it with the big club. I'd be interested in seeing what everyone else thinks we should\will do with our pick this upcoming season.

The Kings have one main goal in evaluating players... they look for players who are strong on the puck (per Darryl Sutter on SiriusXM NHL radio last week). They want guys who can carry and hold the puck in traffic without panicking. They want guys who can't easily be stripped of the puck in the corners. They don't necessarily target bigger, more physical guys, but often size correlates with being strong on the puck.

The above is why I still think there is a chance we take Draisaitl in the draft. He is a big kid who can work the corners and is hard to strip the puck from.

On another note, today there was a discussion on NHL radio about what a pleasant surprise CoHo was at left wing at the world championships. Sounds like that'll be his permanent position going forward (perhaps with Zemgus in the middle?).

Edited by Potato

The Kings have one main goal in evaluating players... they look for players who are strong on the puck (per Darryl Sutter on SiriusXM NHL radio last week). They want guys who can carry and hold the puck in traffic without panicking. They want guys who can't easily be stripped of the puck in the corners. They don't necessarily target bigger, more physical guys, but often size correlates with being strong on the puck.

The above is why I still think there is a chance we take Draisaitl in the draft. He is a big kid who can work the corners and is hard to strip the puck from.

That's why I've been talking about Draisaitl as a possibility.

SABRES SIGN DESLAURIERS

The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed forward Nicolas Deslauriers to a two-year contract.

Deslauriers (6’1”, 230 lbs., 2/22/91) was acquired from the Los Angeles Kings along with Hudson Fasching on March 5, 2014. He made his NHL debut with the Sabres and finished the season by playing 17 of the club's last 20 games.

"Nick was able to step in and compete in every situation we put him in," said Sabres general manager Tim Murray. "We're confident that he will be an important part of our organization going forward."

Prior to being acquired by the Sabres, Deslauriers led the Manchester Monarchs, the AHL affiliate of the Kings, in goals (18) and shots (217). He finished the AHL season with 42 points (19+23) in 65 games in his first professional season as a forward and added two points (1+1) in five playoff games with the Amerks.

Unless Armia or Grigorenko surprises, or Zemgus and Foligno take major leaps, it's going to be very, very hard to score goals.

I can't buy this post, respectfully, of course. The reason being that I can't see how much more of a leap Zemgus needs to make. His coach was already implied he's captain material.

This post also seems to be predicated on the expectancies of the prior administration. Murray has already made some left-field moves; I really don't think we can predict what this guy is going to do. From the little I have seen so far, though, I will say flat out that Foligno, Hodgson and Kaleta are not the kind of players Murray wants to keep around, and I can see Nolan not having the patience for them, either.

Kaleta is a different case than the former two, but I have my doubts he will be around.

If memory serves, Black has already said they all but plan to tank again, and Murray has danced around the topic. But I wonder, they have so much cap room, and have to reach the floor, I don't see Murray over-paying crappy players willingly. Maybe, though, if the hockey people in the club can swallow another year of intentional garbage hockey for the sake of the future - a concept Murray never seems comfortable with when asked about it.

Edited by sizzlemeister

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.