2014-2015 Roster

Stads

Couldn't disagree more. They have a fake salary cap that's in place solely to make more money for the league. It kills the competition because the rich owners rule everything.

My point was about on-court rules, not the off-court economic structure...and I don't entirely agree with your point on that anyway.

Hey, I used the sports real name once this month. That should count for something. And as for the rules, why actually create separate ones when you can just ignore the already existing ones when the stars are involved?

Alright, I laughed. I suppose in that sense the NHL is consistent since it ignores its existing rules pretty consistently!

My point was about on-court rules, not the off-court economic structure...and I don't entirely agree with your point on that anyway.

I don't agree with your point on on-court or off-court. The NBA is just a disaster in all aspects. I still watch, but the league is pretty pathetic right now. On the court the league/refs decide who the superstars are. They can maul other players with no consequence, but touch them and you're going to get called for it.

This is what one of the late-season game lineups looks like with players Murray has said will be gone scratched out:

D'Agostini - Ennis - Stafford

Hodgson - Girgensons - Stewart

Foligno - Flynn - Mitchell

Scott - Ellis - Conacher

Ehrhoff - Risto

Tallinder - Weber

McCabe - McBain

Enroth - Neuvirth

If they were to go with the exact same lineup then there is still a need for two wingers and a dman... They could easily fill those holes with Larsson, Deslauriers (will probably be in the lineup) and Pysyk. So they really already have a lineup in place if they really want to just focus on the draft next season.

This is what one of the late-season game lineups looks like with players Murray has said will be gone scratched out:

D'Agostini - Ennis - Stafford

Hodgson - Girgensons - Stewart

Foligno - Flynn - Mitchell

Scott - Ellis - Conacher

Ehrhoff - Risto

Tallinder - Weber

McCabe - McBain

Enroth - Neuvirth

If they were to go with the exact same lineup then there is still a need for two wingers and a dman... They could easily fill those holes with Larsson, Deslauriers (will probably be in the lineup) and Pysyk. So they really already have a lineup in place if they really want to just focus on the draft next season.

How far from the cap floor does that lineup get us?

Dudacek is really close on the $34.5 mill.

They can get to $40 mill with Ennis and Foligno. That'll mean about $10 mill short, but guys like Ellis, Flynn, McCabe and Risto could likely and easily be replaced by a few free agents/acquisition that cost a bit more. Like Scuderi would get them nearly $3 mill more to about $43 mill. That would leave $7 mill for three or four guys. Won't be that hard.

It'll get interesting if they do end up moving guys like Ehrhoff, Stafford and Stewart. They may insist on bringing on guys like Havlat for the year.

The more I look at it, the more it makes sense to throw silly money at Callahan.

If we are going to blow off millions, may as well blow it on a guy who can actually help and may actually consider coming.

Funny, I view it the opposite. If he'd sign a 3-4 year deal I'd be fine with it...but if it takes 6-7? No thanks, those later years when he's inevitably useless are when we'll want money to compete.

And Scott does?

You don't have to drop the gloves to stand up for a teammate... Or elbow somebody in the head.

really? He didn't elbow anyone in the head in order to stick up for his teammates, and it's not that he always needs to drop the gloves, it's the ability to occasionally drop the gloves and not get his ass kicked (i.e. Weber?) I'm not saying we need John Scott, but we need someone who can fight the Orr's and Thornton's and Lucic's on occasion. I would hope they also have a little more skill than John Scott.

EDIT: and Girgenson's is not that player.

Edited by dEnnis the Menace

Part of what you said is my basic point... John Scott is no loss for this team. He's a general negative (shoot, with the tank that might be a good thing). We need players who can get physical and play the game at a high level. Or at least a level above the worst in all of hockey.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.