2014-2015 Roster

Stads

Why would he sign for a year knowing he was going to be pushed out? Better to part ways with Hackett and have Makarov and Lieuwen in Rochester next year.

Probably. But my guess is that the Sabres don't just let him walk. Murray would be smart to keep all three and then talk to other teams about the goalies they have (even Enroth and Neuvirth). Whoever you are getting the best value for considering that player should go and the other four stay.

Why would he sign for a year knowing he was going to be pushed out? Better to part ways with Hackett and have Makarov and Lieuwen in Rochester next year.

He's a restricted free agent. If he doesn't sign, he will have no job at all. A one year deal gets him one year closer to UFA status and gives him another shot of proving himself.

And I'm not sure why this talk about letting him go keeps popping up. The Sabres had 6 goalies under contract last year. 4 already are under contracts and two are RFAs (Hackett, Knapp). Even if they decide to drop down to 5, it'll still be Hackett over Knapp. They're both only 24 and there's certainly more upside in Hackett.

Discourages teams from putting in a waiver claim if he fails to make the team out training camp?

Seems right. I like him but I'm not sure he's worthy of protecting like that but obviously they do.

I would like to point out that this is an example of the things you can do when your owner doesn't care about profit margin. No harm to the team in terms of cap, protects an asset. The only loss is the money when he's playing in the AHL.

I would like to point out that this is an example of the things you can do when your owner doesn't care about profit margin. No harm to the team in terms of cap, protects an asset. The only loss is the money when he's playing in the AHL.

I'm not sure that's true, how does cap hit for a player in the AHL on the two-way vs. one-way work? Does the NHL team take the NHL-salary hit whether the player is making the NHL $800k or AHL $60k (on a two-way)?

I'm not sure that's true, how does cap hit for a player in the AHL on the two-way vs. one-way work? Does the NHL team take the NHL-salary hit whether the player is making the NHL $800k or AHL $60k (on a two-way)?

If a team picks up player for a short term solution and then waives the player to keep him as a black ace in the AHL, they are stuck paying him the NHL rates. In other words they are stuck with a 90 percent markup.

Under $900k, no cap hit while they're playing in the AHL.

Probably. But my guess is that the Sabres don't just let him walk. Murray would be smart to keep all three and then talk to other teams about the goalies they have (even Enroth and Neuvirth). Whoever you are getting the best value for considering that player should go and the other four stay.

Some speculation that Knapp is a goner and Hackett (or Neuvirth or Enroth) will be on the move... http://www.hockeybuz...racts/163/60291

Personally, I like that we have 4 or 5 guys who could viably be the #1 goaltender for the Sabres in the near future. Good to have that sort of competition in the system.

Some speculation that Knapp is a goner and Hackett (or Neuvirth or Enroth) will be on the move... http://www.hockeybuz...racts/163/60291

Personally, I like that we have 4 or 5 guys who could viably be the #1 goaltender for the Sabres in the near future. Good to have that sort of competition in the system.

That article has its fair share of errors. I wouldn't put much weight in what is said there. The Knapp thing is fairly obvious though.

4 or 5 #1s seems pretty optimistic. I'd guess that 4 of them could be NHL regulars, and maybe 3 legit #1s. I just can't believe that any team drafts/acquires nothing but #1 goalies, it's just not possible.

Yea, knapp was pretty much already gone. Realistically there is only one or two guys that has any real NHL potential, though. Guys like Enroth, Neuvirth and Hackett seem like they may top out as career backups. We'll see, though.

Hackett ain't got it.

The team probably needs five goalies under contract, so I guess he could get tendered.

But given what Makarov showed, and what Hackett showed if they get up against the 50-contract ceiling he should go.

STEWART, MITCHELL HOPE TO BOUNCE BACK HEALTHY NEXT SEASON

Sabres new acquisitions played in only 14 games combined after Trade Deadline

The Buffalo Sabres lost 305 man games due to injury last season with 11 players missing the final game of the regular season. For awhile, it seemed like a different player was injured every game.

In the season’s penultimate game alone, the Sabres lost three forwards, a defenseman and a goaltender. In some cases, emergency recalls had to be made for emergency recalls.

Buffalo acquired two players before the NHL Trade Deadline that Sabres fans may not have been able to get a good look at because of injuries.

So what are people's thoughts on this potential line-up for next year?

I like it in that it should create a good environment for the kids and improve the quality of hockey we saw without spoiling our chance to tank.

Stafford/Ennis/Foligno

Stewart/Girgensons/Hodgson

Callahan/2nd overall/Ott

Deslauriers/Larsson/Mitchell/Kaleta

Ehrhoff/Ristolainen

Myers/Orpik

Weber/Pysyk

Enroth/Neuvirth

Our other young defencemen can take turns filling the number seven spot

And we will probably have to substitute other free agents for the veteran trio I have in there.

They are just the best examples of the type of player I'm looking for in those roles.

So what are people's thoughts on this potential line-up for next year?

I like it in that it should create a good environment for the kids and improve the quality of hockey we saw without spoiling our chance to tank.

Stafford/Ennis/Foligno

Stewart/Girgensons/Hodgson

Callahan/2nd overall/Ott

Deslauriers/Larsson/Mitchell/Kaleta

Ehrhoff/Ristolainen

Myers/Orpik

Weber/Pysyk

Enroth/Neuvirth

Our other young defencemen can take turns filling the number seven spot

And we will probably have to substitute other free agents for the veteran trio I have in there.

They are just the best examples of the type of player I'm looking for in those roles.

For the boat load of money we would have to pay to get Callahan here there is no way he'd play on the 3rd line particularly when you have Foligno, Stewart, and Stafford over him. Plus I highly doubt we'll be that active in free agency. I think we may pick up 1 or possibly 2 but even that is pushing it, plus I think Murray is leaning towards letting our #2 pick stay in juniors for another season. I'd definitely be satisfied with that lineup for next season I just don't see it as likely. I'd also like to see Zadarov up with the Sabres since he isn't eligible for the AHL. Edited by Drunkard

With so many right-handed wingers who fit better on the right side it's a little tough. But I'll mock up something.

Acquisition/Ennis/Stewart

Foligno/2nd pick/Hodgson

Conacher/Girgensons/Flynn

Deslauriers/Larsson/Mitchell

Pysyk, Myers, Weber, McBain, and two acquisitions (or one acquisition and one of Risto/McCabe/Zadorov).

That's a lineup without Drew Stafford and Christian Ehrhoff, who I think could definitely be moved.

A few guys that may have a sneaky chance at making the roster are Armia, Grigorenko, Varone, Schaller, Kaleta and Gillies.

Edited by Tankalicious

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I want players who can skate and have skill and the drive to get better. I'm not sold on the german as I would much rather have either one of the Sams. From what I seen with Reinhart in the prospects game he looks solid all around but not flashy. It would have been nice to see Bennett in that game but if his intensity is Gilmour like than what's not to like about the kid. You have to think Colorado is going to be this up and coming team in the years to come and if you look at there big 3 we don't have anything that comes close to that.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I want players who can skate and have skill and the drive to get better. I'm not sold on the german as I would much rather have either one of the Sams. From what I seen with Reinhart in the prospects game he looks solid all around but not flashy. It would have been nice to see Bennett in that game but if his intensity is Gilmour like than what's not to like about the kid. You have to think Colorado is going to be this up and coming team in the years to come and if you look at there big 3 we don't have anything that comes close to that. I'm wondering if Murray is sold on Myers or are they ready to move on. Instead of getting better after his draft year he is done the exact opposite. At times he has looked good and then he goes through times of struggling.

FWIW, Garrioch says

Buffalo GM Tim Murray is open for business. The Senators talked to the Sabres about Stewart, but the asking price was one of the club's top prospects -- including 2013 No. 1 pick Curtis Lazar.

http://www.ottawasun...44e85c2f22de549

Can't imagine that the Sens would give up Lazar.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.