Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

Don't forget to stretch! I'm paying for my own negligence in trying to rush out on the ice and not touching my toes a few times. Pulled muscle in my back--again--and am now on heating pad, aspirin and rest. Hopefully better soon

Good luck on your recovery!

Both of my legs were cramping up by the end. Oh man, I'm not used to exerting myself.

But I'm playing again today, tomorrow, and the next day. Trial by fire for my poooor body.

Hockey hockey hockey!!!

Edited by qwksndmonster

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We lost in the finals Tuesday 4-3 mainly because of a long shot that was knuckling toward me. It bounced right before my stick and hopped over. Ruined an otherwise decent game in goal by me.

Long shots are tough. People who don't tend net seem to discount how hard they are to read and how they can float or do weird things along their trajectory.

I'll take good shots from good shooters in close all day over a floater from the blue line.

Never thought gloves could smell worse than skates, but I was wrong.

You've never smelled my gloves. Woooof.

Never thought gloves could smell worse than skates, but I was wrong.

I got some of those sneaker ball air fresheners and put them in my gloves after playing.  I also occasionally spray my equipment with Fabreeze.  But most important is I hang my gear on a rack in the basement by the dehumidifier.

You've never smelled my gloves. Woooof.

Can confirm. His gloves/gear in general is vile. Eye stinging. An old pair of shoulder pads of his- I considered using them in a halloween costume... oh good lord no. Knew a guy in high school who wore his full goalie pads around school on Halloween once... he was clearing hallways and classrooms. Was ordered to take them off. It was rank.

My gloves were used when I got them. I used to think they reeked, but I'm so used to it now. And the other guys on the bench always smelled worse anyways! 

Can confirm. His gloves/gear in general is vile. Eye stinging. An old pair of shoulder pads of his- I considered using them in a halloween costume... oh good lord no. Knew a guy in high school who wore his full goalie pads around school on Halloween once... he was clearing hallways and classrooms. Was ordered to take them off. It was rank.

My gloves were used when I got them. I used to think they reeked, but I'm so used to it now. And the other guys on the bench always smelled worse anyways!

The best part about your gloves is that they had only ever been worn by an RIT women's team player. There's no way they smelled THAT bad.

The best part about your gloves is that they had only ever been worn by an RIT women's team player. There's no way they smelled THAT bad.

I was young and naive! I didn't know! I didn't know any better! 

Then I played with a guy we nicknamed Trash Dump. And I learned. 

Long shots are tough. People who don't tend net seem to discount how hard they are to read and how they can float or do weird things along their trajectory.

I'll take good shots from good shooters in close all day over a floater from the blue line.

I could see the flat side of the puck on that shot. So imagine the movement of a shot going, say 45-50 mph, flat side forward. And that guy did it again later. Of course this time I over-played it, putting myself out of position briefly.

I could see the flat side of the puck on that shot. So imagine the movement of a shot going, say 45-50 mph, flat side forward. And that guy did it again later. Of course this time I over-played it, putting myself out of position briefly.

Let me guess. This is the guy who isn't that great, but his lack of skill is what makes him difficult to play against because you never know what's going to happen when he touches the puck.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.