Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

Their one-piece goalie skates only go to size 11.5. :(

Back in the 80's Reidell in Red Wing MN made custom skates for goalies. In fact I bought a pair made by, supposedly, the guy who did Gump Worsley's skates. They had the original thick leather scabbards dipped in epoxy. That is what goalie skates were before injection molding. After a few years the leather shell wore down. I called Reidell for another set but the old guy had passed away and no one else knew how to make those skates any more.

A friend suggested I take those old skates to my local Line-X pickup truck bed spray place. They taped up the skate so only the scabbard was showing and sprayed a thick layer of Line-X on them. The result was a skate that weighs about 5 pounds each but able to take a slap shot.  The Line-X guys said they never sprayed a pair of ice skates before.

Anyway I still have those skates but I prefer playing in my old Bauer 1000 Supremes because of the high boot. Goalies wear low boots that require a lot more ankle strength. After years of wearing the high boot skate my ankles got a little lazy. I'm not sure if I could even play in a low boot now. But I may have to if the Bauers ever fail fully.

I missed the last part of you post earlier, but are you talking about Supreme 1000 goalers like this:

44196_55827.jpg

So speaking of skates, I've discovered that I think I have a problem. My last pair of skates were Bauer Vapor X20's in a 10EE. Nothing great but for the level of hockey I play they're fine. So I decided to upgrade last summer and went to some new Vapor X70's in a 10.5EE. I'd always felt like my toes didn't have enough room in the 10, so I figured going up a half size made sense. They didn't feel too big when I bought them, and they still don't really feel too big, but I'm having trouble with the longer blade. When I skate I feel like I'm not getting all of my stride, and sometimes I feel like my control is off. I've had to dial back my intensity a bit when I skate because I'm afraid I won't catch my edge right. It's like I don't have enough control over the tip of the blade.

So I think I'm going to have to go back to a size 10 and put my new skates on eBay. I like them, they seem to fit fine, and my toes aren't as crunched, but I think I'd rather have my toes right up on the toe cap and get my control back.

No matter how long you're in the game, you can still screw up with gear. It appears I've learned a lesson about what I like in a skate.

that really stinks. I had the experience of getting new skates and they were not flush to the ice, but it was great. Could turn so much easier. Could that be it, your old pair had an uneven blade and this one is straight?

1000 Supreme regular skates. Not goalies.

Ah. I was gonna say, I had a pair of Supreme 1000 goalers like that and I NEVER should have gotten rid of them. They were so comfortable. My current Bauers are just too stiff. Taking a looooong time to break in. 

that really stinks. I had the experience of getting new skates and they were not flush to the ice, but it was great. Could turn so much easier. Could that be it, your old pair had an uneven blade and this one is straight?

Nah, these both have the same radius on them. There's nothing wrong with the blade itself. It's just a little too long. I feel like I'm playing in speed skates. I get speed wobbles. I need to go back down a size to get the next size down blade chassis that puts the toe of the blade more under my actual toes, if that makes any sense. 

Ah. I was gonna say, I had a pair of Supreme 1000 goalers like that and I NEVER should have gotten rid of them. They were so comfortable. My current Bauers are just too stiff. Taking a looooong time to break in. 

Nah, these both have the same radius on them. There's nothing wrong with the blade itself. It's just a little too long. I feel like I'm playing in speed skates. I get speed wobbles. I need to go back down a size to get the next size down blade chassis that puts the toe of the blade more under my actual toes, if that makes any sense.

Sure does. Good luck with it, must be frustrating not being able to skate full bore

Sure does. Good luck with it, must be frustrating not being able to skate full bore

I tell you, I didn't notice it much last season until about the last game. I was back on defense most of the time, so I wasn't building up a lot of speed. But I jumped up in the play on a rush when I went to stop I thought I was going to die. I didn't really put much thought into it and in the next session I switched to playing goalie and forgot about it. But josie and I went skating a few months ago and I spent some time playing with my edges and it clicked that my blades were too long and my skates were probably just a tad too big. Back to the smaller skates it is. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jameson won last nite as I scored the winning goal as the 5 shooter in a shootout to advance in the playoffs. barely slid it under their goalies pad thru a lot of crease snow about 4 inches past the goal line.

Regulation ended 1-1 as they scored with 3 seconds left. Refs had it out for us calling 3 penalties in final period to non for them despite some blatant hooks by them on a couple partial break aways. Our whole bench was pissed. However despite the last second goal we played solid D killed the penalties even one in overtime.

Jameson won last nite as I scored the winning goal as the 5 shooter in a shootout to advance in the playoffs. barely slid it under their goalies pad thru a lot of crease snow about 4 inches past the goal line.

Regulation ended 1-1 as they scored with 3 seconds left. Refs had it out for us calling 3 penalties in final period to non for them despite some blatant hooks by them on a couple partial break aways. Our whole bench was pissed. However despite the last second goal we played solid D killed the penalties even one in overtime.

Nice.

I'm exhausted. Good skate last night at Riverworks but I felt like I was stuck in mud. The ice was slow but I can't blame that. I remember why I bought new skates: my old ones are flexed out and I was pronating really bad, which costs power in stride. I guess I have to resolve this skate thing ASAP. Probably need to start wearing a better foot bed these days too.

Nice.

I'm exhausted. Good skate last night at Riverworks but I felt like I was stuck in mud. The ice was slow but I can't blame that. I remember why I bought new skates: my old ones are flexed out and I was pronating really bad, which costs power in stride. I guess I have to resolve this skate thing ASAP. Probably need to start wearing a better foot bed these days too.

Ah the joys of getting old... yeh i was done after the second and no power in my arms after working a double yesterday.

I love you man, but that's a hard pass for me. :P

Yeah this is real. By real I mean real .

Here is my speech I give all applicants (well used to before HR got involved in all interviews):

"It sucks here. It's hot, uncomfortable, fast paced and pressure filled. But at the end of the day, you get a nice paycheck with good benefits. So, you want the job?"

Almost everyone says they can handle it but only about 30% survive more than a few months.

Yeah this ###### is real. By real I mean real ###### ######.

Here is my speech I give all applicants (well used to before HR got involved in all interviews):

"It sucks here. It's hot, uncomfortable, fast paced and pressure filled. But at the end of the day, you get a nice paycheck with good benefits. So, you want the job?"

Almost everyone says they can handle it but only about 30% survive more than a few months.

I was happy with my pay there for sure. The only reason I left was personal ambition and knowing that I was over qualified for the work. If I was looking for a career in manufacturing though, that was as good a job/pathway as any. And the work really wasn't that hard. I'm still grateful you opened the door for me. My current success was a direct result of your helping hand. It's too bad other people don't feel the same about the opportunity to work hard and make a good wage.

(I will say though, that I think things like 3rd shift should be illegal. I think it puts profits before employee health and I despise it. People should be sleeping at night, not working. I can't imagine ever wanting to work those kinds of hours. I was extremely glad other people were willing/desperate enough to do it. I don't think I would have taken the position if I had be offered only 3rd shift.)

Edited by d4rksabre

Yeah this ###### is real. By real I mean real ###### ######.

not a lot of people handle working under pressure well.

I was happy with my pay there for sure. The only reason I left was personal ambition and knowing that I was over qualified for the work. If I was looking for a career in manufacturing though, that was as good a job/pathway as any. And the work really wasn't that hard. I'm still grateful you opened the door for me. My current success was a direct result of your helping hand. It's too bad other people don't feel the same about the opportunity to work hard and make a good wage.

(I will say though, that I think things like 3rd shift should be illegal. I think it puts profits before employee health and I despise it. People should be sleeping at night, not working. I can't imagine ever wanting to work those kinds of hours. I was extremely glad other people were willing/desperate enough to do it. I don't think I would have taken the position if I had be offered only 3rd shift.)

I work a lot of nights, and yeah its not healthy, but no bosses and I can do whatever I want.    Only thing that sucks is that so few of my colleagues are even willing to 6 nights a month.

Night shifts at my job are the busiest and not everyone can handle it.

:huh:

You do realize that there are a lot of processes that need around the clock attention, right?

Or should all furnaces &/or refrigerated &/or vacuum operations be shut down at midnight & restarted at 8 AM?

Not even going to mention that Wildnwooley's "clients" probably wouldn't mind being told to cross their legs for a few hours until the day shift can take over.

:huh:

You do realize that there are a lot of processes that need around the clock attention, right?

Or should all furnaces &/or refrigerated &/or vacuum operations be shut down at midnight & restarted at 8 AM?

Not even going to mention that Wildnwooley's "clients" probably wouldn't mind being told to cross their legs for a few hours until the day shift can take over.

Not to mention my clients. Degenerates need to be able to place bets! It doesn't matter that it's 4am on Xmas eve and the children are waking up wondering where their parents are. Momma needs a new pair of shoes!

Oh, hockey! I get to start playing again in February! Yes! Been playing around with my stick handling in the garage. I still suck at it. And now my forearms are sore because I haven't used those muscles in forever.

Edited by ubkev

Not to mention my clients. Degenerates need to be able to place bets! It doesn't matter that it's 4am on Xmas eve and the children are waking up wondering where their parents are. Momma needs a new pair of shoes!

Oh, hockey! I get to start playing again in February! Yes! Been playing around with my stick handling in the garage. I still suck at it. And now my forearms are sore because I haven't used those muscles in forever.

:lol:

Gotta find a way to get Santa to put presents under the tree. Them elves don't work cheap. ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.