Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

What is the advantage of the Post Lean vis-a-vis the Post Load?  Looks like the same amount of area is covered, to me, and it seems that I see more pucks squirt through on Post Lean position because the goalie doesn't get his entire body tight quickly enough.  Saw a goal in yesterday's Washington game like that, actually.

You can push off easier to cover the other side of the net.

What is the advantage of the Post Lean vis-a-vis the Post Load? Looks like the same amount of area is covered, to me, and it seems that I see more pucks squirt through on Post Lean position because the goalie doesn't get his entire body tight quickly enough. Saw a goal in yesterday's Washington game like that, actually.

The post lean allows for a better push for lateral moves. Your leg is down and the skate is against the post so you push off the post. It lets you keep your other arm up in a more ready position too.

The drawback is as you mention. The seal against the post can be suspect and you leave the top of the net open.

I'm debating trying to work the regular VH back into my game for that reason. I think my propensity to use the reverse VH is driving me to spend too much time down on the ice and it's leading to some really weak goals on occasions where I'm trying to slide across when I should be up and square.

Good stuff d4rk.

So I played my first game. I was touched afterwards when the other team named me their player of the game. I am trying to figure out where to put The Golden Pylon.

I am trying to revel in the small victories. I dressed in 15 minutes instead of 30. I put some passes on the tape of my teammate and lifted some pucks off the ice against the boards in the warmup. I didn't fall when climbing over the boards onto the ice, although my first try involved me straddling the boards and putting all my weight in a certain nether spot, nearly shattering Nana's Antique Crystal Gravy Boat. The puck came around the dasher boards in the D zone and I corraled it and swept it pretty forcefully toward the blue line -- but still not out! I really hadn't looked to notice that no one was there except someone from the other team.

The worst time you'll ever love.

Good stuff d4rk.

So I played my first game. I was touched afterwards when the other team named me their player of the game. I am trying to figure out where to put The Golden Pylon.

I am trying to revel in the small victories. I dressed in 15 minutes instead of 30. I put some passes on the tape of my teammate and lifted some pucks off the ice against the boards in the warmup. I didn't fall when climbing over the boards onto the ice, although my first try involved me straddling the boards and putting all my weight in a certain nether spot, nearly shattering Nana's Antique Crystal Gravy Boat. The puck came around the dasher boards in the D zone and I corraled it and swept it pretty forcefully toward the blue line -- but still not out! I really hadn't looked to notice that no one was there except someone from the other team.

The worst time you'll ever love.

Small victories are the name of the game. Glad you had fun.  :thumbsup:

I didn't fall when climbing over the boards onto the ice, although my first try involved me straddling the boards and putting all my weight in a certain nether spot, nearly shattering Nana's Antique Crystal Gravy Boat.

That's all you could find for a cup? In a pinch, use a shoe. I never go over the boards, I always use the door. I pulled my groin or hammy when I used to try it. The compromises of getting older.

That's all you could find for a cup? In a pinch, use a shoe. I never go over the boards, I always use the door. I pulled my groin or hammy when I used to try it. The compromises of getting older.

I tried the door. I was like Costanza trying to undo a bra strap.

Congrats, PA! Like others have said, you won't regret the purchase. 

I'm more of a sleeveless cotton shirt kind of guy, but I can't echo the rest of this enough. You're bag is going to reek if you forget your stuff in it overnight and the smell is pretty tough to get out. Though being the stinky guy is definitely a strategy I've seen used in pickup and it works well. 

And if you think you're bending your knees enough, you're probably half way there!

After reading the GDT, I guess I was lucky that I had a playoff game last night.

I thought about this quote all game and boy did it help. Everything felt better and was easier. :thumbsup:

Here's the thing though. It doesn't seem like the best players and skaters are bending their knees that much. I haven't quite figured this out yet.

Once you see a video of yourself skating, you'll realize that they really are.

Here's the thing though. It doesn't seem like the best players and skaters are bending their knees that much. I haven't quite figured this out yet.

It doesn't have to be much, but think of a straight line from your shoulders to your knees to the balls of your feet.  You bend more when you're turning or skating long ice.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what Ben Scrivens has to say about what makes an elite shooter. Some interesting stuff to add to your bag of tricks...Maybe when he retires, he can become the first goaltender to be a shooting coach.

“First off, everybody in the league can shoot the puck,” Canadiens goalie Ben Scrivens said after Thursday’s morning skate. “Fans watch games and they say: ‘Aw, this guy can’t shoot the puck.’ Everybody in the league can shoot the puck —  they can shoot the puck hard and, within reasonable expectations, they’re all pretty accurate, first line to fourth line. The difference between the elite shooters is how effectively they can get releases off. The guys who can pick their spots without giving any tells to the goalies about where they’re putting it. The less movement you can have pre-shot.

“The big windup is a fossil in today’s game, except for on rare occasions,” Scrivens added. “It’s pretty difficult to beat guys with a big windup or the big stretched out wrist shot. What Chucky does so well is that he’s in a shooting position almost all the time that he has the puck. So he doesn’t tell when he’s going to shoot, so his release starts from the same place that his stick-handling starts and his passing starts. So you never know which one he’s going to do until the puck’s coming down on you.

“Obviously he’s got a great shot, but it’s all the stuff pre-shot that makes him really elite.”

Edited by Marvelo

Here's what Ben Scrivens has to say about what makes an elite shooter. Some interesting stuff to add to your bag of tricks...Maybe when he retires, he can become the first goaltender to be a shooting coach.

Another gem in this thread that made it to my game on the ice.

I was actually thinking about this post last night when I scored a goal in our championship game. I also got another one through the goalie's legs but it hit the post. He had no idea a shot was coming either time. We won 6-4.

The sun is just a little sunnier today.

Went to the leg doc for the final time today- my run in with an errant rut in the ice resulted in this: KcM7gMC.jpg

But hey, I'm back at most things- another month or so I hope to post in here that I'm skating... and by fall I'm hoping to post that I'm back in the game  :wub:

FX your distal fibula otherwise known as the lateral maloleous.

I've been playing at least 4/5 times a week lately. It's really helped me survive this terrible excuse for a winter.

My brother was trying to mimic Eichel's skating style during warm ups and it just looked like he was prancing around frolicking.

By God, he's got it!

Another gem in this thread that made it to my game on the ice.

I was actually thinking about this post last night when I scored a goal in our championship game. I also got another one through the goalie's legs but it hit the post. He had no idea a shot was coming either time. We won 6-4.

The sun is just a little sunnier today.

Thumbs up. Glad it helped. 

• 5 months later...

So I'm on the fence about maybe trying to find a weeknight league here in Buffalo. I don't know much about the leagues around here, and it doesn't look like Anytime Hockey is scheduling skates anymore. 

Does anyone play in a league here that isn't full of a**holes who just want to fight? 

Does anyone play in a league here that isn't full of a**holes who just want to fight?

Ain't this a bitch? I haven't played in 2 years because the only league I can be in is a Tuesday night league full of dumbasses. But, I go to grave shift in 2 weeks! My Sunday nights will now be my hockey nights again! And Monday mornings on grave will suck, but it will be worth it.

Ain't this a bitch? I haven't played in 2 years because the only league I can be in is a Tuesday night league full of dumbasses. But, I go to grave shift in 2 weeks! My Sunday nights will now be my hockey nights again! And Monday mornings on grave will suck, but it will be worth it.

I would keep playing in Rochester on Sunday nights but I'm kinda tired of that grind, and it looks like Josie isn't going to be registering for that league this year. I like those Rochester people but I'd rather have my Sunday nights back. 

This just in Team Jameson crowned DLeague champions of Brewster Ice Arena after a tight but hard skating affair 2-1. North Buffalo (me) scored the first goal on a shot from above the face off circle that found the 5 hole. Just put the puck on net. It skipped off the ice and fooled the goalie. We gave up our only goal short handed... again we should just decline penalties. Nice to finally win one.

Edited by North Buffalo

So I'm on the fence about maybe trying to find a weeknight league here in Buffalo. I don't know much about the leagues around here, and it doesn't look like Anytime Hockey is scheduling skates anymore. 

Bumping this again. Can anyone out there help me out? 

Bumping this again. Can anyone out there help me out? 

I'd be surprised if any league didn't have a population of jackasses.  IME D leagues seemed to be a good place to get in and deal with the fewest jackasses.  When I last played (too many years ago to want to admit), I signed up for one of those D leagues at Holiday Twin, but after one season we broke off on our own with another team and started renting our own ice time at the Buffalo rink on Tacoma on Friday nights.  We played Friday nights like that for several years.

I finally played hockey. They closed the rink in my town for the summer and I finally made it to a drop in. I thought it might take a while to get back into it, but I felt like I was better than I used to be. Like just thinking about hockey for so long without actually playing helped.

Probably not, I was just playing against a lot of kids who aren't that good. But it felt amazing. I don't ever wanna go ~three months without hitting the ice again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.