Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

We lost 3-2 tonight. I would have preferred to win, but it was a great game against classy dudes. What a blast. I love hockey when it's good. Even the refs were good (I think I just threw up a little in my mouth).

Randall, I remember when I was first learning to skate, one day I couldn't hockey stop, the next day I could. It just happened. You gotta just skate as much as possible.

I haven't read this thread, but here's a simple one I bet

How do I learn to stop staring at the puck and look up ice instead?

One thing that I have advised kids to do is get a shooting mat (or use a stick handling ball) and practice stick handling while watching TV.  They have a tendency to get glued to the TV and after awhile the feel becomes more natural.  If they stop looking at the TV when its on and only stare at the ball/puck then it's a win.. not for hockey skills but at least they aren't glued to the damn screen anymore. :)

Not sure why the question marks. The issue is that they advertise skate and shoot or stick-n-puck and 15 guys show up who want to play. I'm not going to make a stink.

The ??? after practice was a nod to Allen Iverson's famous practice rant. An attempt at humor.

As for stick-n-puck, most rinks I've been to don't allow pick up games at stick-n-puck.

We lost 3-2 tonight. I would have preferred to win, but it was a great game against classy dudes. What a blast. I ###### love hockey when it's good. Even the refs were good (I think I just threw up a little in my mouth).

Randall, I remember when I was first learning to skate, one day I couldn't hockey stop, the next day I could. It just happened. You gotta just skate as much as possible.

I'm hoping that I find myself much closer to ice rinks wherever I end up this fall. I'm the type of guy that would go to every open skate possible if a rink was down the street. Right now it's 20-30 minutes of driving before getting to do hockey-less skating with 500 other people on the ice, so it just doesn't happen too often.

It all comes from blading. I swear, if you saw me play roller hockey you'd laugh when I told you my ice skating is pitiful. It's so irritating. The crossover skill transferred instantly and everything else is completely foreign, and since i only get on ice 3-5 times a year there has been no progress at all

As d4rk once said, welcome to the group of people who run with knives on their feet. Or something. He said it better. It's hard. If you can do crossovers both ways you're in an elite group of human beings.

I'm hoping that I find myself much closer to ice rinks wherever I end up this fall. I'm the type of guy that would go to every open skate possible if a rink was down the street. Right now it's 20-30 minutes of driving before getting to do hockey-less skating with 500 other people on the ice, so it just doesn't happen too often.

Morning and afternoon open skates during the week could be your friend. The times I've been to the North Buffalo Rink, it's been pretty quiet. Maybe 10-15 people.

Had some incredible nights on the ponds and games last night and tonight.

One night was with some old friends under the moon and stars on a giant reservior. I'm not a religious person, but it was a spiritual experience.

Tonight was the inaugural game for my family's team. We lost, but it was an absolute blast. Can't wait to see how much better everyone gets now that we have a team with a great attitude towards learning players.

One night was with some old friends under the moon and stars on a giant reservior. I'm not a religious person, but it was a spiritual experience.

Tonight was the inaugural game for my family's team. We lost, but it was an absolute blast. Can't wait to see how much better everyone gets now that we have a team with a great attitude towards learning players.

Awesome, dude. 

Envious, new season doesn't really get going till next week... hoping for an outdoor game.

Edited by North Buffalo

Best method of learning to stop, imo. is to simply do a lot of steep turning in both directions. Just go straight and then start turning, do it a lot, you will feel the blade biting into the ice. You feel the skate bite into the ice and after that it becomes way more natural to feel the bite to stop. 

Yup. It's all about muscle memory and blade feel. Stopping is something I didn't practice so much as I just sort of accidentally learned how to do. All of a sudden during a game I would know how to stop better than I did before. It's about confidence in what you're feeling through the bottom of your feet. 

Not how i was taught not a big jump and at first we were just standing still. But yeah that is how she taught us. Before doing that she had us balancing on one foot and scraping out with inside edge of the other blade.

Edited by North Buffalo

Awesome.

This is my heaven...(not that I get to experience it yet)

iceskating-pondhockey.jpg

I had an idea for a Bender Hockey League. I googled it and of course it's been done a million times. One of the league sites I visited showed a great team name: The No Regretzkys. Best name ever.

How bout, The Peter North Stars.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.