Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

Yeah. I have no problem playing the Zamboni leagues. They've been good to me. Sure, there's the occasional kerfuffle- we had some bad eggs in a session back in Spring- but it's much better policed. I've called and gotten players banned for being idiots before. So apparently they all just go to the other leagues. 

There's a weird ego/pride thing with the Zamboni v beer league. Somehow you're just not "tough" or "good" if you don't play beer. Yeah well, cool. I was asked to sub, I have a neat jersey, achievement unlocked. My teammates respect me and say I've improved a ton. Good enough I guess. 

I always get the "which one's your bf?" chirp on the ice. Fun answer when d4rk isn't there is "none of them". Here on my own, idiots.

They wouldn't like it if I was there.  :angry:

I play in 2 leagues here in fabulous northeast Pennsylvania. One is run by the WBS Penguins and the other is run by another rink one town over. There is a large crossover of players playing in both leagues.

The league at the Ice Box is chippy, there's a little fighting and everyone thinks they are playing for their next million dollar contact. 35 year olds show up in their city College intermural hockey jerseys, instead of their team jersey.

The league run by the baby pens is amazing. 3 penalties in a game and you're tossed. Fight in a game and you're banned for life. Everyone shows up to play hockey and drink beer. The minute things get chippy, the refs throw everyone in the bad box. They do a nice job of keeping everything under control.

I hate that I can't play anymore.

Unfortunately it's stuff like this that turned me away from leagues where anyone actually keeps score. And the lower the league, the worse the attitudes. Just a bunch of man babies.

I'm on the fence about returning the Sunday D-league I play in at the BurgerPlex.  Most of it is now competition with my son's hockey schedule but some of it is being sick of the losers we play against.  There are a handful of really good teams and by really good I mean the kind of teams you love to play against.  They aren't jerks, they are there to have fun.  But so many are overwhelmed by players who are angry at life.

That's some good advice. I'll see what I can do. A girl on the other team works for the rink. This ###### happens all the time, people complain, not much happens. It kinda comes and goes in waves. 

I hate being the whiny girl too. I try so hard to be strong and brush it off but damn, man, I'm getting hurt out there. 

I'm 25 and pretty new to hockey (figure skater before, hockey for about 2-3 years now). I'm not good. I have 5 goals and maybe 20 assists to my name. I'm not particularly fast. I can't play up a league. 

in the fall, thomas creek's zamboni league will have another session and I'll join Intermediate with people I know/like. No score, drills before the game- I think I belong there. I love playing co-ed. I love my guys. I love shooting the breeze and drinking with them. Some are my age, some are dad squad. I'd miss that with all ladies, I admit it. 

Just think I'm done with this league. It's always been kinda dirty- I just got the brunt of it last night. 

I think if enough reports end up being sent to media sources, etc. about the allowance of racist and sexist commentary in games things might change.  But who knows..  As I said above, I am thinking about moving out of the Sunday league.  I've been asked to play in Scottsville but I'm not sold on that either.  Gotta find somewhere to play.  I'm not certain I could play a zamboni league.  Not sure if I'd be considered too skilled or not.

It's a Rochester problem. I've never played in a league here that wasn't this way. The only way to have fun playing hockey in this town is to play non-league. Zamboni leagues are good, or leagues where they play games but there aren't standings or actual teams. Village Sports runs some leagues like that. I've always just found people to play with who rent ice. 

The only way you could drag me back into a real league here is if I had the opportunity to be on the ice with Josie in order to handle these problems. I want nothing to do with it otherwise. 

Now we're talking... renting ice.. I'm in. :)

• 3 months later...

I already feel like I'm in mid winter form and October isn't even half over.  My two teams played one another tonight.  We played on the ice that the Jackals use, so that was nice.  My brother and I split up and played against one another.  On my first shift I picked off one of his passes and then got a screen shot through him that almost beat the goalie over his shoulder.  My team ended up winning like 13-1... I eventually started checking my own teammates and shooting on my own goalie.  Game was a blast.

Best part was that I got to skate for a full half hour before and after my game because all the zamboni guys are players too.  Before the game I even got to skate around the rink holding my nephew.

Getting an entire ECHL arena to yourself for a topless cooldown skate is a spiritual experience.  I love hockey.  I love hockey.

Oh, and you know when you have a song stuck in your head for an entire hockey game?  This:

What a great song. JT is a triple threat. I love hockey.

Edited by qwksndmonster

My celly is always the sword sheath. I don't do the Max Pac twirl though. Just simple. But it hast to be simple when you can't dangle. I have 2 skills, I can skate and I can shoot. Do not, under any circumstances, allow me to handle the puck.

I miss being able to play every week.

My season starts next week and I can't f'n wait. I'm carrying 25 fewer pounds since I last played and am really interested to see how different it feels.

It's going to be great. In a sport where a few ounces of weight can make a difference, 25lbs is going to make you feel amazing. 

I had a beauty coast to coast top corner glove side snipe on Sunday night. I readily admit that I never score goals because I have no puck skills, but in that one shift I somehow put all the pieces together. I think I even did the Eichel celebration.

In my cooldown skate I had a drag-snipe that hit the upper right post.  I instinctively did the Eichel.

(all my sick goals are while I'm practicing)

Edited by qwksndmonster

It's going to be great. In a sport where a few ounces of weight can make a difference, 25lbs is going to make you feel amazing. 

That's what I'm hoping. Although, I'll probably get moved from in front of the net a little more easily. Oh, well. A small price to pay for not breathing heavy just going up a flight of stairs.

That's what I'm hoping. Although, I'll probably get moved from in front of the net a little more easily. Oh, well. A small price to pay for not breathing heavy just going up a flight of stairs.

Just gotta dig in a little more. Get those skates done at 3/8" or something  :P

You are a hunched monster that lives between the pipes.

:ph34r:

Subbed the other night and had the pure joy of playing a bunch of McQuaid hockey graduates in a D league level game.  I mean, if they really belong at that level McQuaid must suck at hockey.  But anyway.. scored a shortie after driving into the zone and then laying it back to my forward who covered the rush.  Managed to deflect it with my skate while busting butt back to cover D.  

So imagine me skating away from the goal and having the other team spend a few minutes trying to convince the ref that I kicked the puck into the net (from the high slot no less).

Sorry, the shutout was gone.  Also.. play at your own level.. and the trash talking.. holy cow...

So yea.. point of the story?  The beer after the game tasted good.

Subbed the other night and had the pure joy of playing a bunch of McQuaid hockey graduates in a D league level game.  I mean, if they really belong at that level McQuaid must suck at hockey.  But anyway.. scored a shortie after driving into the zone and then laying it back to my forward who covered the rush.  Managed to deflect it with my skate while busting butt back to cover D.  

So imagine me skating away from the goal and having the other team spend a few minutes trying to convince the ref that I kicked the puck into the net (from the high slot no less).

Sorry, the shutout was gone.  Also.. play at your own level.. and the trash talking.. holy cow...

So yea.. point of the story?  The beer after the game tasted good.

This sounds like a summary of the average beer league game.

Got an email about fifteen minutes before my lunch break that there was a pickup game in the basketball court behind our parking lot. What a blast, and they do it every week.

The only problem is that I didn't have a change of clothes so now I have to stew in my own sauce for the next two hours. Oh, well. It was worth it.

Had a goal and assist in my game on Monday! The guy I assisted returned the favor, we won 3 - 0, our goalie stopped at least 3 breakaways.

The league I'm playing in now only has 2 teams and we scramble the teams up each week. It's like super beginner league.

A group of us are starting a team to play at a new rink that's opening up to be the San Diego Gulls practice facility. We have our first game of that season this Sunday, I can't wait to check it out, sounds like they put in real NHL boards from the Ducks arena.

Edited by skaught

Had a goal and assist in my game on Monday! The guy I assisted returned the favor, we won 3 - 0, our goalie stopped at least 3 breakaways.

The league I'm playing in now only has 2 teams and we scramble the teams up each week. It's like super beginner league.

A group of us are starting a team to play at a new rink that's opening up to be the San Diego Gulls practice facility. Sounds like we have our first game of that season this Sunday, I can't wait to check it out, sounds like they put in real NHL boards from the Ducks arena.

I play at the WBS Penguins practice facility. You'll really enjoy it. It's so nice to have really good ice to play on. Only trouble for my is worrying about getting shot walking through the parking lot, as the rink is in the worst ghetto in Wilkes Barre. San Diego must be nicer lol.

I play at the WBS Penguins practice facility. You'll really enjoy it. It's so nice to have really good ice to play on. Only trouble for my is worrying about getting shot walking through the parking lot, as the rink is in the worst ghetto in Wilkes Barre. San Diego must be nicer lol.

Yeah, can't wait to try out some good ice, definitely don't have to worry about getting shot, it's in a fancy industrial park surrounded by an expensive suburban neighborhood...It's about a 30 minute drive for me though.

• 1 month later...

I guess I'll provide status updates here on Josie and her broken leg. A 6 inch incision, a plate, and 4 screws later she is apparently out of surgery and into the recovery part of her hospital stay today. He father is there reporting news back to me and the rest of the family. I expect when she's feeling better she'll provide x-ray updates and whatnot. 

I guess I'll provide status updates here on Josie and her broken leg. A 6 inch incision, a plate, and 4 screws later she is apparently out of surgery and into the recovery part of her hospital stay today. He father is there reporting news back to me and the rest of the family. I expect when she's feeling better she'll provide x-ray updates and whatnot.

May she have the most enjoyable drugs the hospital has to offer.

Sorry to hear, again good drugs and plates are better than orig. P.S. Now you have a bionic woman!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.