Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

The center ice circle needs to be shaped like a burger.  If they can turn a car dealer's face into a center ice circle in Boston, Rochester can turn one into a burger.

Or a garbage plate

True, not much else you can do. 

Varies quite a bit. Sometimes some poor attendence but usually mostly beginners and a few old timers. 

buy pair of inline hockey skates and skate as much as possible, while it won't build ankle strength as quick as ice, it will help speed things along. Also it will help you know what your stride should feel like on crossovers bc it will provide a little more stability. 

I've never managed to do a crossover, either on ice or inlines. :)

Or a garbage plate

I've never managed to do a crossover, either on ice or inlines. :)

Ok try this... skate forward, get up to medium speed, then using only your left foot (pick up your right) turn left on the ice. the more comfortbale you get... go a little faster, you'll start to lean out over your edge as you build confidence on your edges. 

if you don't feel strong enough yet, do some home exercises,  do air squats with your skates on, blade guards too : ) dont need to lace them too tight.  Start building leg and core strength. 

• 2 weeks later...

Also kind of an aside, but the other goalie last night had to be in his mid-late 50s and was just absolutely ripped. And had a pacemaker. He said he goes to the gym almost every day and plays hockey at least four nights a week.

I'll keep saying it: hockey is a lifetime sport.

I started trying to improve my puck control by learning how to tap the puck instead of keeping it on my stick. So I stand in a spot and turn in a circle--both ways--and tap the puck ahead of me. So I barely touch it but it ends up where I will be. I actually did a spin in a game and tapped the puck three times to spin around and find an open guy for a scoring chance, while the opposition player was swinging at the puck but I kept it one tap ahead of him. Helps in a lot of situations. Tap the puck and they can't hit it as easily and if they check your stick you can free your stick in time to catch up to the puck. Hope that makes sense 

I fear my brief career playing super low level beer league hockey may be over or nearly so.

Game got chippy last night and their giant 6'6" dman slammed me as hard as he could into the boards a few into the 3rd. I'm half his size. He swore he didn't mean to, but me laying motionless on the ice for a few minutes was apparently the spark for the powder keg everyone had been looking for. Rest of the game (which I sat out since there was double of everything) was a mess, strung with brawls and racial epithets (guy who slammed me was colored). I got some good sexist comments thrown at me on my very first shift. 

Handshake line- one of their guys refused to shake my hand. I was being held up partially by two of my teammates. He said the c word as he sailed by. Apparently he felt I'd cheap shotted him on the ice (a night like that and he was mad at me? I never go after people!) and faked being slammed heavily into the boards. 

I'm there to have fun. I don't care that much about winning. we won in overtime, and i could care less. I wanted to play with the guys, keep up, hang out with my friends, play some puck and have a beer. But other teams seem to just target me because they know it'll cause my guys to go nuts. 

It's painful, embarrassing, enraging, and I can't afford more head injuries. No matter how defensive I skate, it's going to happen- it's the sad reality I'm beginning to come to terms with. 

I think I'm ready to find a women's league and to hell with all those lesser endowed testosterone enraged . Call me a but it's not worth my health and energy. 

I fear my brief career playing super low level beer league hockey may be over or nearly so.

Game got chippy last night and their giant 6'6" dman slammed me as hard as he could into the boards a few into the 3rd. I'm half his size. He swore he didn't mean to, but me laying motionless on the ice for a few minutes was apparently the spark for the powder keg everyone had been looking for. Rest of the game (which I sat out since there was double of everything) was a mess, strung with brawls and racial epithets (guy who slammed me was colored). I got some good sexist comments thrown at me on my very first shift. 

Handshake line- one of their guys refused to shake my hand. I was being held up partially by two of my teammates. He said the c word as he sailed by. Apparently he felt I'd cheap shotted him on the ice (a night like that and he was mad at me? I never go after people!) and faked being slammed heavily into the boards. 

I'm there to have fun. I don't care that much about winning. we won in overtime, and i could care less. I wanted to play with the guys, keep up, hang out with my friends, play some puck and have a beer. But other teams seem to just target me because they know it'll cause my guys to go nuts. 

It's painful, embarrassing, enraging, and I can't afford more head injuries. No matter how defensive I skate, it's going to happen- it's the sad reality I'm beginning to come to terms with. 

I think I'm ready to find a women's league and to hell with all those lesser endowed testosterone enraged ######. Call me a ###### but it's not worth my health and energy. 

There's nothing about this post that makes me happy.  Okay.. one thing.. that you want to have fun playing.

That's just an awful story.  

Jees, Josey, that sucks.  Take care of your head.  My son had 3 concussions in about a 2 year time span and the 3rd one messed him up badly for over 3 weeks.  And he started having migraines that he still gets today (this was about 5 years ago).

And if you insist on continuing to play, find a league where folks are looking for more fun and less competition.

I think I'm ready to find a women's league and to hell with all those lesser endowed testosterone enraged ######. Call me a ###### but it's not worth my health and energy. 

Are there refs for these games?  It sounds like they really blew it for a couple of reasons:

1. It almost sounds like the type of game they should have stopped

2. There definitely shouldn't be a handshake line if it was as ugly the picture you painted (insert comment here about you never painting ugly pictures)

And I hear you about this type of game driving you away.  We had back to back games 4 years ago where opponents taking things far too seriously led to a pair of knee surgeries, one of which was me.  I came back after that, but I had very little desire and walked away after one more season.  Those completely ruin things.

There's nothing about this post that makes me happy. Okay.. one thing.. that you want to have fun playing.

That's just an awful story.

Unfortunately it's stuff like this that turned me away from leagues where anyone actually keeps score. And the lower the league, the worse the attitudes. Just a bunch of man babies.

There were refs. They were also making cruddy comments. My guys were more vocal, so we got more penalties. It was a gong show. There's always a handshake line in this league. I think some people enjoy it because it's the big chance to get a brawl going. Which of course happened last night. 

This is my 3rd head smacker. It's not as bad as my last one (which was an accident- guy didn't mean to hit me, we collided and his mass won over me haha) which had me screwed up for a good month. But I'm definitely not completely normal. Not much to do except avoid making it worse. 

The attitude though. I like to sit on the bench and crack jokes to loosen everyone up. Everyone showed up drunk last night (10pm call time) and ready to party. After the first shift of lovely comments at my feminine nature I was too cranky to crack wise. Just went from there. 

I have a job. I have a life. I play once a week. I'm not here for the scouts, I'm not here to throw my weight around. I'm here to cheer over goals and catch a few assists myself. I'll go back to my zamboni league where everyone's friends and it's mostly just relaxed playing/learning. Or join a lady's league, where at least if someone decides to run me, they're closer to me in size/power. 

Seriously. The more I think about it, the angrier I get. And that's a toxic attitude that's not safe for playing.

We played a much better team last week and they murdered us. But no one played dirty. They were respectful. First team we played was way worse than us- I got me a nice slash on the wrist for my trouble. But yeah, I don't feel like finding out about the rest of it. Good thing I'm only a sub for the team- I won't feel too guilty not showing up. 

"Colored"? 

1950 called. It wants its word back.

:devil:

sorry. I never know which is more PC. 

He had "black ice" on his jersey. But if you call him that he screams at you and calls you a little bitch and asks if you want to drop the gloves. Apparently this happens against every team he plays against. 

Whatever. Black. Darker skinned. Of african descent. I don't care what skin color he had, he was an idiot. My teammates were not in the right to call him other terms, and I told them so. Lot of stupidity last night. 

sorry. I never know which is more PC. 

He had "black ice" on his jersey. But if you call him that he screams at you and calls you a little bitch and asks if you want to drop the gloves. Apparently this happens against every team he plays against. 

Whatever. Black. Darker skinned. Of african descent. I don't care what skin color he had, he was an idiot. My teammates were not in the right to call him other terms, and I told them so. Lot of stupidity last night. 

Just funnin'. I hate those kind of jackasses. One of the reasons I like playing in the higher divisions, even if they may be a bit over my ability. They might be a little more physical, but it's rarely dirty.

Just funnin'. I hate those kind of jackasses. One of the reasons I like playing in the higher divisions, even if they may be a bit over my ability. They might be a little more physical, but it's rarely dirty.

This is what I always did. It's just not much of an option for Jo.

Sounds like it was a bad night.

Refs aren't doing their jobs.  Captains aren't doing their jobs.  Slurs should result in suspensions.  Fighting should result in suspensions.

Submit a written complaint to the league.  Try to give them a chance to correct it.  If they fail to act or at least hand down guidance to the captains, feel free to walk.  Also, if this is a USA Hockey league, feel free to write the local Hockey Officials Association (NYSHOA?) with your concerns about the referees' failure or success in addressing racial and gender slurs.  If they aren't USA Hockey refs, urge your cheap-ass league to use USA Hockey refs.

Try not to be automatically turned off to coed hockey, but do feel free to avoid scumbag teams and leagues and seek out clean, fun teams and leagues.

Unfortunately, once you're past the lowest level rookie/beginner leagues, the next level of adult hockey has two types: the "we're here to develop as players, have fun, and play clean" type teams and leagues and the "we think hockey is inherently dirty and it's eye for an eye because we don't know any better" type league.  The latter is vengeful, belligerent, commonly disrespectful to the game, and often unsportsmanlike with opponents.  This is most potently evidenced in the slurs and brawl at the handshake line.

Have hope, though. Alternatives do exist, and good, fun, respectful hockey is worth seeking out.  I've also noticed as you go to higher levels of hockey, the unsportsmanlike nonsense tends to be reduced, as players more often know how to play hard without playing dirty or disrespectfully.  It's not universally true, but it does trend that way.  I'm not sure how old you are, but also consider senior leagues (35+, 40+, 45+, etc)- they should be old enough to know better, and many of them are banged up worse than you are.

Physics, I've seen far too many of the "I'm 55 years old and weight 350 pounds, this is the year I get drafted" type of guys.  I'm not sure where they fall in the types of leagues you outlined.  That's really the only way to describe many of the people I played against in Boston.  They seem to actually think they still have a shot.  I know Boston has their reputation for scumbaggery, but I have a hard time believing it's just them.

Sounds like it was a bad night.

Refs aren't doing their jobs.  Captains aren't doing their jobs.  Slurs should result in suspensions.  Fighting should result in suspensions.

Submit a written complaint to the league.  Try to give them a chance to correct it.  If they fail to act or at least hand down guidance to the captains, feel free to walk.  Also, if this is a USA Hockey league, feel free to write the local Hockey Officials Association (NYSHOA?) with your concerns about the referees' failure or success in addressing racial and gender slurs.  If they aren't USA Hockey refs, urge your cheap-ass league to use USA Hockey refs.

Try not to be automatically turned off to coed hockey, but do feel free to avoid scumbag teams and leagues and seek out clean, fun teams and leagues.

Unfortunately, once you're past the lowest level rookie/beginner leagues, the next level of adult hockey has two types: the "we're here to develop as players, have fun, and play clean" type teams and leagues and the "we think hockey is inherently dirty and it's eye for an eye because we don't know any better" type league.  The latter is vengeful, belligerent, commonly disrespectful to the game, and often unsportsmanlike with opponents.  This is most potently evidenced in the slurs and brawl at the handshake line.

Have hope, though. Alternatives do exist, and good, fun, respectful hockey is worth seeking out.  I've also noticed as you go to higher levels of hockey, the unsportsmanlike nonsense tends to be reduced, as players more often know how to play hard without playing dirty or disrespectfully.  It's not universally true, but it does trend that way.  I'm not sure how old you are, but also consider senior leagues (35+, 40+, 45+, etc)- they should be old enough to know better, and many of them are banged up worse than you are.

That's some good advice. I'll see what I can do. A girl on the other team works for the rink. This happens all the time, people complain, not much happens. It kinda comes and goes in waves. 

I hate being the whiny girl too. I try so hard to be strong and brush it off but damn, man, I'm getting hurt out there. 

I'm 25 and pretty new to hockey (figure skater before, hockey for about 2-3 years now). I'm not good. I have 5 goals and maybe 20 assists to my name. I'm not particularly fast. I can't play up a league. 

in the fall, thomas creek's zamboni league will have another session and I'll join Intermediate with people I know/like. No score, drills before the game- I think I belong there. I love playing co-ed. I love my guys. I love shooting the breeze and drinking with them. Some are my age, some are dad squad. I'd miss that with all ladies, I admit it. 

Just think I'm done with this league. It's always been kinda dirty- I just got the brunt of it last night. 

Physics, I've seen far too many of the "I'm 55 years old and weight 350 pounds, this is the year I get drafted" type of guys.  I'm not sure where they fall in the types of leagues you outlined.  That's really the only way to describe many of the people I played against in Boston.  They seem to actually think they still have a shot.  I know Boston has their reputation for scumbaggery, but I have a hard time believing it's just them.

Oh, I know they exist.  I watched one of my captains split that guy's nose open on Sunday.

Gennnnnerally, speaking, I haven't run into that type of player in the leagues that are limited to seniors, though.  But I haven't played many Massholes either.

I hate being the whiny girl too. I try so hard to be strong and brush it off but damn, man, I'm getting hurt out there. 

Has nothing to do with it.  Your opponents (and teammates?) are being unsportsmanlike .  And if someone (refs? league?) doesn't curb it, some will get hurt, not from an accident, but from an on-ice malicious act.

Oh, I know they exist.  I watched one of my captains split that guy's nose open on Sunday.

Gennnnnerally, speaking, I haven't run into that type of player in the leagues that are limited to seniors, though.  But I haven't played many Massholes either.

Has nothing to do with it.  Your opponents (and teammates?) are being unsportsmanlike ######.  And if someone (refs? league?) doesn't curb it, some will get hurt, not from an accident, but from an on-ice malicious act.

It's a Rochester problem. I've never played in a league here that wasn't this way. The only way to have fun playing hockey in this town is to play non-league. Zamboni leagues are good, or leagues where they play games but there aren't standings or actual teams. Village Sports runs some leagues like that. I've always just found people to play with who rent ice. 

The only way you could drag me back into a real league here is if I had the opportunity to be on the ice with Josie in order to handle these problems. I want nothing to do with it otherwise. 

It's a Rochester problem. I've never played in a league here that wasn't this way. The only way to have fun playing hockey in this town is to play non-league. Zamboni leagues are good, or leagues where they play games but there aren't standings or actual teams. Village Sports runs some leagues like that. I've always just found people to play with who rent ice. 

The only way you could drag me back into a real league here is if I had the opportunity to be on the ice with Josie in order to handle these problems. I want nothing to do with it otherwise. 

What the heck is a Zamboni league? I've never heard this term before today.

What the heck is a Zamboni league? I've never heard this term before today.

It's like half lessons/instruction, half scrimmage. It's the perfect way to get into playing hockey if you've never played before. They have a couple different levels at Thomas Creek here and in my opinion is the best way to get some beginner to intermediate level play without too much stupid stuff. 

For the record, the reason they even offer things like Zamboni is because the local rinks don't manage their beer leagues in a manner that allows those leagues to be safe for new players or players who just want to have fun. The Zamboni league is a symptom of the problem affecting leagues all over Rochester. 

Yeah. I have no problem playing the Zamboni leagues. They've been good to me. Sure, there's the occasional kerfuffle- we had some bad eggs in a session back in Spring- but it's much better policed. I've called and gotten players banned for being idiots before. So apparently they all just go to the other leagues. 

There's a weird ego/pride thing with the Zamboni v beer league. Somehow you're just not "tough" or "good" if you don't play beer. Yeah well, cool. I was asked to sub, I have a neat jersey, achievement unlocked. My teammates respect me and say I've improved a ton. Good enough I guess. 

I always get the "which one's your bf?" chirp on the ice. Fun answer when d4rk isn't there is "none of them". Here on my own, idiots.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.