OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

This is a very good deal for the Sabres. They get a decent prospect, a 1st round pick and a potential additional 1st round. Halak is a piece to be moved later.

At 26 years old, an extension for Stewart should become a priority. He has all the attributes a team looks for. This is a guy I can see part of something special when this team is taking that step to contender status 3-4 years from now.

Good job by TM. Looking forward to more moves.

I agree with all of this, I'm in no hurray to trade Stewart. Could end up like lupal for the leafs where a change of scenery got this guy back to his previous high form.

Didn't the blues trade a bunch to pry him out of Colorado just a couple I years ago?

Edited by Derrico

I think we'll have to beat offers, not match them. I also think he resigns by the time free agency starts. Hopefully before the time that the condition on the pick is up.

Tough to say without seeing exactly how the conditions are written but it appears neither Miller nor St. Louis has any motivation to get the deal done before the deadline that would send Buffalo more compensation. It seems more likely they'd agree in principle then sign the paperwork after the deadline.

Perhaps that would just mean a 1st the following year instead of the current year though.

I'm assuming after reading his limited comments after the trade was announced.

He seemed a little angry to me, as well.

I'll admit it. I'm sad. I like Miller. I like Ott. I hope they win and will root for them in the playoffs.

I also really hate this season,… F'n hate it. Of all the seasons I've hated before, I hate this one the most. Players leaving, players staying, draft picks, prospects, etc. I just don't care and it has nothing to do with the actual game of hockey. But what I hate the most is that I'm not supposed to root for my team to win, but can't root for them to lose either, because that just feels dirty. There is almost no reason to watch and find that I'm only doing it out of habit or duty and not because I really want to.

Edited by SwampD

I also really hate this season,… F'n hate it. Of all the seasons I've hated before, I hate this one the most. Players leaving, players staying, draft picks, prospects, etc. I just don't care and it has nothing to do with the actual game of hockey. But what I hate the most is that I'm not supposed to root for my team to win, but can't root for them to lose either, because that just feels dirty. There is almost no reason to watch and find that I'm only doing it out of habit or duty and not because I really want to.

I'm somewhat on the opposite side as you. I'm really surprised how little it bothers me that the team is terrible, and how not mad I am that Miller and Ott (and Vanek) are gone. I don't know if it's a change of perspective with being married and whatnot, or just all those years of watching the Bills has trained me for it.

Years ago, I asked around here if people would rather have a competitive team year in, year out but never win it all, or a terrible team that led to a cup. I agreed more with the former at the time, but now I'm fine with the latter too.

Edited by MattPie

I'm a rubbernecker passing an accident sight. I don't want to see the carnage but something inside of me compels me to have a little look. I'm actually enjoying the teardown because make no mistake about it the old group from management down just couldn't get it done. Out with the old in with the new. I've also despised Darcy Regier and his style for so long now that Tim Murray is a breath of fresh air. So lets do this and be done with it. 3 years goes by regardless if you're sitting on your hands or actually going through the steps that'll put you in a position to succeed. I've fully bought into the notion of short term pain for long term gain. Go Sabres !

Years ago, I asked around here if people would rather have a competitive team year in, year out but never win it all, or a terrible team that led to a cup. I agreed more with the former at the time, but now I'm fine with the latter too.

If you aren't in it for the entertainment then you're just wasting your time. So, whatever path leads to the most joy is the right path in my mind.

I can't watch and root for my team to suck, it strikes me as antithetical to sports.

Watch and root for the team to get better. we need to lose 10 more games. The best case is if the Isles take their pick this year. Then next year we can root for the Sabres to win and invade Brooklyn with our tanks.

Haylak is a good goalie at 28, hope we can sign him long term. Ott is a FA at the end of this season if he wants to come back here. Great job by Murray ! Hope Miller signs with the Blues beyond this season, would make the 3rd pick into another 1st if I read it right.

I wonder if there are further conditions on the pick. If they don't make the west finals and Miller signs after the draft is it a 16 first?

Wouldn't it have to be?

Otherwise Stl would just wait until the day after the draft to sign him.

Haylak is a good goalie at 28, hope we can sign him long term. Ott is a FA at the end of this season if he wants to come back here. Great job by Murray ! Hope Miller signs with the Blues beyond this season, would make the 3rd pick into another 1st if I read it right.

After just saying a week ago that be values larger goalies there is no way Murray is going into the future with two small ones.

Edited by Tankalicious

Anybody opposed to Pegula building a statue out front of Hasek and Miller in a few years?

Yes. I don't think Hasek as excellent as he was deserves a statue. The way he engineered his way out of town was ugly and left me bitter about him. I'm not sure I ever saw a player bully an organization like that before or since. Neither Miller or Hasek have won cups here. That's what statues are all about...legends, multiple cups, dynasties. I don't think a French Connection statue was deserved either...maybe Gilbert Perreault but that's it.

Edited by 716

I just learned that he has a $4.1M cap hit for next season. I think he'll be here but I hope I'm wrong.

That didn't stop teams from being seriously interested leading up the our move to acquire him, and I don't think that'll change. Sure, we can't retain salary on him but maybe a team has a guy that's making 2-3 next year that we can take on.

Yep.

And yep.

From where I am sitting this trade netted us a support player that wasn't deemed good enough for a Cup contender, a prospect that may or may not be worthy of a late 1st round pick (in other words a 50/50 shot to make the NHL) that we won't know much about at the NHL level for probably 3 years, and two picks that won't come to fruition for at least 3-4 years.

I know we needed to get something for these guys but a downgrade over Ott, a mediocre goalie that likely won't want to be here on July 1,, a prospect with a 50/50 shot of making the NHL, and two picks doesn't excite me at all.

Gonna have to be worked into something that is 1. a little more immediate, and 2. higher potential for me to give this move much love at all.

With respect, what did you expect the market value to be at the deadline for Miller and Ott? Ott is a 3rd line player on a good team, that's historically around a 1st or two 2nds or a 2nd and bleh prospect. We really didn't know what Miller's value was going to end up at, but many of us seemed to believe his trade value wouldn't come close to his hockey value. We ended up with a mid-level prospect, a top-6 roster player (maybe not on a good team, but I think there's something there), a certain 1st, and a very possible 1st. It may not be blow your doors off awesome, but it was more than I expected, and at least fair in my estimation.

I do you're selling Stewart short by saying he's a downgrade from Ott. He's definitely different, but I don't think I'd go with "downgrade" as the descriptor. He clearly doesn't bring that veteran leadership and he's a downgrade defensively, but he's also a significantly better offensive player. And he's a better fighter, so there! :)

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Well I slept on this trade instead of freaking out. Here is the thing, Halak very likely will be traded again for something. There is no reason for Murray to keep him past Wednesday. Stewart is still being rumored to Ottawa. So if I have our new GM pegged right, which I think I do, Halak will get flipped to Minnesota or Philly for X. Stewart I think does end up in Ottawa and I am not sure what we get out of that but Zibanejad was mentioned by McKenzie yesterday.

Ryan Miller and Steve Ott could actually net us, 2 firsts, a prospect, top prospect (ottawa) and Philly/Minn trade. If TM pulls all that off depending on what else he gets... could be amazing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.