OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

Maybe not; here's the same twitter account, citing the same source, 45 minutes earlier:

Hockey Tracker@Hockey_tracker 1h

TSN reports the #Sabres would target Stone, Puempel, Borowiecki & Claesson if they decide to flip Chris Stewart to the #Senators

This account is an aggregate. They don't report their own stuff. They just list what experts are saying.

Every championship team needs most, if not all of these components

1. Good to solid goal tending

2. A number one center

3. At least one good line wings + centers

4. A decent second line

5. A shutdown defensive pair

Not lets look at what is left of the Sabres:

1. Was the strength of the team until yesterday. Now the cupboard is bare for 2-4 years.baring a trade

2. Never, EVER seems to get addressed by this team since Drury left. Prospects might emerge, but they are years away. Not only do they not have a Number 1 center, but they don't have a number 2.

3. If they ship out Moulson, then that essentially mean Ennis at center with Stafford and Stewart (assuming he stays). That line does not scare anyone.

4. All they have is AHL parts for this.

5. Folks on here are now talking about shipping the defense out of town too. So assuming Ehrhoff is next to go, that leaves Myers and Pysk. If Myers joins the out of town express, then there is clearly nothing left.

This need to drive it down to the studs is maddening to me. Eventually, you need to add some talent back that is more than an AHL rookie.

I agree with those that say NO MORE DRAFT PICKS. I want NHL-ready talent.

Edited by wjag

I have no idea why people aren't happy with this trade. The last few days, consensus was talking down what we could get for Miller.

So far so good.

Murray said he did this in 2 stages. Miller 1st then Ott. For Miller, a UFA, you Halak, Stewart, and a conditional 1st. The Blues were 5-2 to win the Western Conference BEFORE the trade. That means there is a 40% chance they will be in the conference finals. Add the prospect of Miller resigning and it is probably better than a coinflip you get the 2014 1st rounder. Halak is an average starter and is worth a 2nd in his own right. Stewart has plenty of value. He is still young and it's pretty funny watching him get dismissed. He is 2 years younger than Stafford, and has 15 less goals than him in 120 less games...is bigger, and has a history of playing physical. That's 4 reasons he is better than Stafford in general. He's better than Steve Ott, except for consistency of leadership. I would be absolutely fine if he was a Sabre going forward, especially under Nolan.

Stewart is a gifted chirper.....but Otter is the master.

Ott gives you a lot....a draw, an edge, versatility....you could line him up in any of the 12 forward spots for a short stretch.

Stewart could get hot, but he'd have the same problem in Buffalo any power forward is going to have, nobody to feed him the puck.

So that is only going to exacerbate his inconsistency. Sorry GoDD....I don't think you get to keep him. He gets flipped.

I love the fact that we set the market for once, did it out west where we can feel more comfortable making further trades, and got fair value at the very least.

Me too. It's refreshing. However, Murray needed to set the market. He's got so many pieces to move he had to get it moving.

Edited by X. Benedict

But that player is not anyone that would make or break a deal at all. He's a no body and probability won't even play in NHL

I'm assuming you know nothing about Hoffman and don't understand how the NHL draft/prospects work? Sure he was drafted late, but he appears to have worked his way beyond his draft status.

So far so good.

Stewart is a gifted chirper.....but Otter is the master.

Ott gives you a lot....a draw, an edge, versatility....you could line him up in any of the 12 forward spots for a short stretch.

Stewart could get hot, but he'd have the same problem in Buffalo any power forward is going to have, nobody to feed him the puck.

So that is only going to exacerbate his inconsistency. Sorry GoDD....I don't think you get to keep him. He gets flipped.

Me too. It's refreshing. However, Murray needed to set the market. He's got so many pieces to move he had to get it moving.

I know he needed to get it moving...we needed to do this last February and June as well, but never did!

I don't mind if Stewart is flipped. Just weird seing him talked down. For all the love of Marcus Foligno, Stewart IS Marcus Foligno, but with 10+ more goals per year potential and proven ability to take on heavyweights. I understand he is inconsistent, which is why StL is smart for swapping him out for OTT. I would do the same thing if I were a GM....say...like trading Stafford for Gary Roberts in 2007???????

Very good take.

GO SABRES!!!

Thanks...I'm just fine with the trade. Pretty fair.

I have no idea why people aren't happy with this trade. The last few days, consensus was talking down what we could get for Miller.

Murray said he did this in 2 stages. Miller 1st then Ott. For Miller, a UFA, you Halak, Stewart, and a conditional 1st. The Blues were 5-2 to win the Western Conference BEFORE the trade. That means there is a 40% chance they will be in the conference finals. Add the prospect of Miller resigning and it is probably better than a coinflip you get the 2014 1st rounder. Halak is an average starter and is worth a 2nd in his own right. Stewart has plenty of value. He is still young and it's pretty funny watching him get dismissed. He is 2 years younger than Stafford, and has 15 less goals than him in 120 less games...is bigger, and has a history of playing physical. That's 4 reasons he is better than Stafford in general. He's better than Steve Ott, except for consistency of leadership. I would be absolutely fine if he was a Sabre going forward, especially under Nolan.

For Ott you got a 2015 1st round pick, and a recent 2nd rounder who dropped because of injury. Both of these trades were in-line, or better than expected on a value basis, and you got first jump by setting the market. We all know the UFAs were gone. By doing this early, not only does it increase the pressure on teams like ANA, LA and Vancouver to do something and possibly overpay for guys like Ehrhoff, Myers, Moulson....but it now allows Murray free-time to actually explore and work on potential hockey trades that were not automatic. It's a lot harder pondering shipping out guys like Myers, Hodgson or Foligno when you are spending the last few days and hours trying to squeeze blood out of a rock on the guys who HAVE to be moved. Now...maybe you spend 3 days going back and forth with Anaheim in a controlled process. You weren't going to get Gibson for Miller...but how about Myers being involved?

I love the fact that we set the market for once, did it out west where we can feel more comfortable making further trades, and got fair value at the very least.

Good post.

Which is why you move him now....

He's had a history of being fragile. Let some other team play out the risk/reward scenario. We are lucky he is back from the abyss. Be happy if he has real value, because 3 months ago his contract probably made him close to untradeable.

Remember....Murray is like a consultant coming into a company at this point. These aren't his guys, and unless he loved someone before he got here, the most efficient move is for him to maximize value and acquire players or picks that will turn into players that HE loves. It's time to convert into Murray Currency....

Well, he also may have decided he liked somebody (like Myers) once he got here. Just because he's not married to the guys he inherited doesn't mean he automatically wants to unload them all.

I'm assuming you know nothing about Hoffman and don't understand how the NHL draft/prospects work? Sure he was drafted late, but he appears to have worked his way beyond his draft status.

Take it easy on the tone.

That's what I had supposed. So it's TSN that can't make up its mind?

Likely that more than one reporter talked about it. One probably insists that they really want Hoffman, another probably has heard more names.

Why would we want Hoffamn? Where does he fit what does he bring we can't get out of Flynn or some other mediocre player?

He's a prospect. We don't completely know what we can get out of him. Just like every other prospect. You obviously have an educated guess based on his playing style and performance up to this point, but to argue that he doesn't fit and is a "nobody" is just off the mark.

He's a prospect. We don't completely know what we can get out of him. Just like every other prospect. You obviously have an educated guess based on his playing style and performance up to this point, but to argue that he doesn't fit and is a "nobody" is just off the mark.

That and Tim Murray has 20 years as a talent evaluator which counts for something. If he brings the kid in there's a good reason for it.

Why would we want Hoffamn? Where does he fit what does he bring we can't get out of Flynn or some other mediocre player?

There is quite a different ceiling between Hoffman and Flynn. One was undrafted, the other won the Selke Memorial Trophy and was the QMJHL MVP.

I just watched the goodbye presser. Brought a tear to my eye. I would love to get one or both of those guys back in free agency, although I don't expect it.

I never thought I'd get over the Brian Campbell trade either. I didn't think he would either. Everyone moved on. Probably the same will happen here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.