OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

I'm thinking that I might buy a ticket to the Blues/Coyotes game for tomorrow and wear my Sabres classic jersey. I want to see Miller and Ott do well and win a cup. Off to check ticket availability....yes...there are always tickets available in Phoenix.

When evaluating Chris Stewart and his future with the Sabres may I remind all who the head coach is of the Sabres. IMO, Chris Stewart's size and game makes him the prototypical Ted Nolan player.

The Blues will be my non-Sabres playoff team this year. I wish all the best to Miller & Ott.

Well I slept on this trade instead of freaking out. Here is the thing, Halak very likely will be traded again for something. There is no reason for Murray to keep him past Wednesday. Stewart is still being rumored to Ottawa. So if I have our new GM pegged right, which I think I do, Halak will get flipped to Minnesota or Philly for X. Stewart I think does end up in Ottawa and I am not sure what we get out of that but Zibanejad was mentioned by McKenzie yesterday.

Ryan Miller and Steve Ott could actually net us, 2 firsts, a prospect, top prospect (ottawa) and Philly/Minn trade. If TM pulls all that off depending on what else he gets... could be amazing.

I like Stewart, but if he can be flipped for a Zibanejad I'd be OK with that. A 20 year with size that I can see as a 20-30 goal scorer in the future.

Edited by deluca67

I agree....

Foligno wears 82...Ennis 65....Myers 57....are they going anywhere soon?

Ennis is actually 63, but those players were assigned those numbers as young guys brought up in the organization, where chris stewart is already an established player, so the scenarios are different, and thus the number 80 intriguing.

I agree....

Those were all issued as temporary numbers while the players proved their ability to stick in the NHL. They just happened to keep them (Foligno said he was changing to 17 the offseason prior to the lockout but it never happened probably because of the lockout).

Giving a temporary number to a permanent NHL player isn't a good sign for him. Makes you wonder if they even asked him what he wants. 25 is Grigorenko's so they just seemed to throw a random number on him. Obviously he could change his number once he gets back home like Michael Del Zotto did with Nashville, though.

Also, you're not getting Zibenijad for Stewart.

I agree....

Foligno I could see. Ennis, sure why not. Myers if the return is good. TM has already said as much when he said he's listening to other GMs to see if we have anything they need. I'm thinking he's going through his sock drawer and checking for holes. Time to get some new socks.

Real happy with this trade. Miller was a good pro and although I didn't care for his attitude, he was a good player for this team. Ott I hope returns.

Onwards and upwards. Love the jersey, not the player wearing it.

Now stop winning so much boys!!!!

Last night I wasn't sold on the trade. I thought they could have gotten more for miller and ott. After thinking it over I think it was fair for both teams and Miller. They took care of Miller by trading him to a team that has a legitimate chance to win a cup. I think that looks good on the franchise. If the conditional pick becomes a 1st, Murray won round one.

Real happy with this trade. Miller was a good pro and although I didn't care for his attitude, he was a good player for this team. Ott I hope returns.

Onwards and upwards. Love the jersey, not the player wearing it.

Now stop winning so much boys!!!!

I know we needed to get something for these guys but a downgrade over Ott, a mediocre goalie that likely won't want to be here on July 1,, a prospect with a 50/50 shot of making the NHL, and two picks doesn't excite me at all.

Gonna have to be worked into something that is 1. a little more immediate, and 2. higher potential for me to give this move much love at all.

Like you said, we needed to get something. If both players walked in FA, it would have been bad.

I think the potential in 2 firsts, a prospect that TM might be high on, plus whatever we might get for Halak and Stewart is an excellent haul compared to getting nothing at all.

That didn't stop teams from being seriously interested leading up the our move to acquire him, and I don't think that'll change. Sure, we can't retain salary on him but maybe a team has a guy that's making 2-3 next year that we can take on.

Was anyone besides Ottawa interested?

With respect, what did you expect the market value to be at the deadline for Miller and Ott? Ott is a 3rd line player on a good team, that's historically around a 1st or two 2nds or a 2nd and bleh prospect. We really didn't know what Miller's value was going to end up at, but many of us seemed to believe his trade value wouldn't come close to his hockey value. We ended up with a mid-level prospect, a top-6 roster player (maybe not on a good team, but I think there's something there), a certain 1st, and a very possible 1st. It may not be blow your doors off awesome, but it was more than I expected, and at least fair in my estimation.

I do you're selling Stewart short by saying he's a downgrade from Ott. He's definitely different, but I don't think I'd go with "downgrade" as the descriptor. He clearly doesn't bring that veteran leadership and he's a downgrade defensively, but he's also a significantly better offensive player. And he's a better fighter, so there! :)

I expected that moving a top 5ish in the league goalie and a top flight 3rd line / decent 2nd line LW with grit, faceoff ability, and oodles of leadership to a legit Stanley Cup contender would get us something more immediate than a prospect that is still a couple years out and two picks that won't see the light of FnC for at least 3 years. Hell, the prospect we did get isn't even among StL's top 3 prospects.

We got alot. But I'm not interested in equating numbers of return with quality of return. I'd rather see one ready-for-primetime player that was at the top of their prospect pool than a pile that looks like Drew Stafford heavy and 3 guys with a 50/50 shot of contributing in the NHL.

*IF* all this works out we aren't going to see any gain from it for another 4 friggin years. I guess that is my issue with the trade results. I can stomach another year. Not exactly willing, but, you know. But I don't want picks. No more fecking picks. we need players ready to play.

I expected that moving a top 5ish in the league goalie and a top flight 3rd line / decent 2nd line LW with grit, faceoff ability, and oodles of leadership to a legit Stanley Cup contender would get us something more immediate than a prospect that is still a couple years out and two picks that won't see the light of FnC for at least 3 years. Hell, the prospect we did get isn't even among StL's top 3 prospects.

We got alot. But I'm not interested in equating numbers of return with quality of return. I'd rather see one ready-for-primetime player that was at the top of their prospect pool than a pile that looks like Drew Stafford heavy and 3 guys with a 50/50 shot of contributing in the NHL.

*IF* all this works out we aren't going to see any gain from it for another 4 friggin years. I guess that is my issue with the trade results. I can stomach another year. Not exactly willing, but, you know. But I don't want picks. No more fecking picks. we need players ready to play.

Really depends on if we can flip Halak and Stewart (and if that is even the plan).

If we trade both of them for a 2nd round pick each (doesn't seem crazy), then our return is a 2015 1st, three 2nds (one being Carrier), and either a 2014 1st or a 2016 3rd.

And hopefully Murray has something more inventive up his sleeve than just moving Halak and Stewart for one draft pick each. We need a lot more trades by Wednesday.

I have to agree we need some players that can play now but you also need some vets around to help with the young guys. If Murray is such a great talent evaluator then he is gonna want to have as many picks as possible in order to pick certain players. But here is my real question. I'm sure someone might have mention this already but what if the blues don't make the WCF's and then decide to sign Miller after the draft? What happens to that pick? Is it just a third in 2016?

Really depends on if we can flip Halak and Stewart (and if that is even the plan).

If we trade both of them for a 2nd round pick each (doesn't seem crazy), then our return is a 2015 1st, three 2nds (one being Carrier), and either a 2014 1st or a 2016 3rd.

And hopefully Murray has something more inventive up his sleeve than just moving Halak and Stewart for one draft pick each. We need a lot more trades by Wednesday.

NO! MORE! PICKS! FFS!

The trade deadline is next Wednesday and it is too early to draw conclusions just yet. Here are some preliminary thoughts on the trade market.

First of all, I am rooting for the Blues to sign Miller so that the 2016 3rd rounder becomes a 2014 1st rounder.

Secondly, I think there is a fair chance that Ott can be re-signed by the Sabres in the summer. He was the captain and GM Murray has already stated that he loves this type of player. Money will be no object and the Sabres have to spend anyway.

Thirdly, William Carrier looks like a very good prospect on the left wing (an area of need for the organization)

Fourthly, Chris Stewart has a decent chance of being a very good player if Buffalo keeps him. However, I think he will be traded for 2 additional young prospects. Halak will most likely become a free agent and sign elsewhere, but will be serviceable the remainder of the year. I think there is only a small chance he will be traded before the deadline due to the limited market for goalies.

In addition, I think the key point to remember is that St. Louis is taking almost all the risk. The Sabres were going to lose both players to free agency and get nothing in return. The Blues have surrendered very good assets with the potential of receiving nothing in July. Unless the Blues win the Cup or re-sign one or both players, they are the big losers in the deal. If they win the Cup, then they are the big winners. The odds of them winning the Cup are not great.

If the Sabres can get something significant for Moulson and something respectable for players like Halak, Tallinder, Sulzer, and McCormick, then this painful season might yield a significant long term jackpot. Tim Murray is in position to look like a hero by trading away assets accumulated by Darcy Regier.

Understandably, a lot of Sabres fans are very disappointed in the team this season, but I am extremely excited for the future of this team in a couple years. The groundwork is being laid for a championship quality team. Let's see what happens before the deadline.

But they can trade those for even more picks, weave. By 2021, they'll have ALL the picks! And John Scott will still be on the roster.

Hey, Stewart is a legit roster player in return, and you're looking to get rid of him ASAP! :P

(Joking of course, I know you don't want another pick in return)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.