Trade Deadline 2014

LGR4GM

If I understand recapture properly (and I may well not)..it still sucks for you guys if he retires early.

I saw this tweet earlier. I don't understand how Luongo's contract would apply to the rules of the new CBA. Seems to me it shouldn't be retroactive since the contract was made with the previous CBA guidelines.

James MirtleVerified account@mirtle

Here are the cap penalties from Roberto Luongo's contract for the Canucks if he retires early. Could be really ugly pic.twitter.com/0dNIQAipg6

Bh6uzX3CcAQFnWt.png

CAP ADVANTAGE RECAPTURE (Roberto Luongo Rule)

Teams receiving a “cap advantage” from long-term contracts — defined as seven years or more for contracts signed prior to the January 2013 CBA — will be penalized in the event the player retires or “defects” from the NHL before the contract expires. A team receives a “cap advantage” when the player’s actual salary exceeds his cap hit in a given year.

Following retirement/defection, the “advantage” will be “recaptured” and charged against the club’s cap in equal amounts each year until the contract expires. This penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from the contract — ie. a traded contract — except in the event that the trade occurred prior to the new CBA coming into place in January 2013.

[ Edit: June 2, 2013 ] Teams do not receive a credit for net negative cap benefit (where cap hit exceeds salary over the course of the contract prior to retirement). However, in calculating net “cap advantage,” teams do receive a credit for seasons in which cap hit exceeds salary.

Please note, contracts that fall under the "over-35" rule do not qualify for cap benefit recapture, the NHL has confirmed. In these cases, the team is charged with the player's full cap hit.

Also note, the 2013 CBA defines "Long-Term Contracts" in Section 50.5 © (ii) (A) (P. 265) as any contract entered into prior to the execution date of the agreement that has a term in excess of six years, meaning all contracts signed after the lockout are not subject to recapture penalties.

LINK: CapGeek Recapture Calculator »

As wrong as the contracts were with Luongo, DiPietro and Kovalchuk........... they found the loopholes and they exploited the loopholes. The NHL addressed it so those would no longer exist. I just don't think it's right that Vancouver should be penalized because the followed the rules of the previous CBA.

This probably doesn't belong in this thread. Not sure where to put it though.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

WATCH LIVE: Tradecenter deadline coverage

TradeCentre ’14 features an impressive team of analysts and insiders offering the most robust League-wide trade deadline coverage.

Ah the WWE has come to the trade deadline... can we get some reverb in there an increasing volume! :P

WATCH LIVE: Tradecenter deadline coverage

TradeCentre ’14 features an impressive team of analysts and insiders offering the most robust League-wide trade deadline coverage.

Oh yeah, I gots some Marty up in here!

And the guitarist singing the "Bobby Lu Bobby Lu" song is hilarious.

Edited by Eleven

We could pair him with Chris Stewart. I hear that's worked before.

Works for me, too. I saw all I needed to see of him Monday night. Having him out there was like giving the Stars a gift PP. He would quickly rival Leino in "sinking feeling in the guts" seeing him out there.

Works for me, too. I saw all I needed to see of him Monday night. Having him out there was like giving the Stars a gift PP. He would quickly rival Leino in "sinking feeling in the guts" seeing him out there.

I felt the same way. Maybe he picks it up if he's not traded?

Although, no one will ever rival Leino in any 'tank' catagory.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.