Leino needs to go!

Wyldnwoody44

My two cents is Leino didn't work out in Detroit and had some success with a playoff team Flyers. And he didn't work out in Buffalo. I think some players function best as a complimentary piece to an overall puzzle that's pretty much in place and I think Leino is that kind of player. I don't see him as any kind of leader.

The Sabres the last few years have been in a freefall, especially since Pegula took over.With all Leino's injuries, he's now in a tough position as a lame duck. It would be nice if he could put a good string of games together for the fans but overall I just think he's too fragile and should retire from the NHL and just go back to Europe for his own good and just return rest of the salary, no questions asked.

Edited by 716

See the guy giving the puck away all the time? That's him.

What? You mean you aren't supposed to pass the puck two feet, into your teammate's feet, using the same strength you would use to complete the pass were he 40 feet away?

Short, hard, passes. That's the key. :)

He is THE WORST player in the league and must be gone. I'm a little shocked he is getting regular ice time under Nolan. That doesn't jibe with the preaching's of Ted.

His ice time did get cut last night, he's averaged around 15 minutes, but he had less than 10 minutes yesterday.

What? You mean you aren't supposed to pass the puck two feet, into your teammate's feet, using the same strength you would use to complete the pass were he 40 feet away?

Short, hard, passes. That's the key. :)

To be fair to Leino, he doesn't always pass into his teammates skates, he hits their chest a lot too.

Leino's salary is $4.5 million per year. He's currently the 2nd highest paid Sabre - behind Tyler Myers.

Here's some fun math - This is Leino's 3rd year, so the Sabres have paid $13,500,000 for him so far, and he's scored a total of 10 goals in 3 years.

Let's assume he doesn't score before the end of the season. So the Sabres basically paid $1,350,000 for each of those 10 goals. I wonder if any offensive player in the history of the NHL has an average cost per goal over multiple seasons that's this high? :lol:

He's a little more cost effective if you use points instead of goals. He's got 43 points so far in his 3 seasons with Buffalo

Assuming no more points this year, that works out to $314,000 per point.

What a deal, huh? Gotta hand it to that "Hockey Genius" Regier.

Edited by Jsixspd

So I was wondering, does not buying out Leino keep the Sabres above the Cap floor? Or if the Sabres do buy him out and sign some reasonable free agents that have a chance down the road to be valuable would that be a better strategy. I am not sure if you consider Tank Nation and finishing last year.

Keeping Leino and Stafford probably does insure the Sabres suck next year. Wouldn't it be better to buy them out later next year and are there any prohibitions on the timing of a buyout?

So I was wondering, does not buying out Leino keep the Sabres above the Cap floor? Or if the Sabres do buy him out and sign some reasonable free agents that have a chance down the road to be valuable would that be a better strategy. I am not sure if you consider Tank Nation and finishing last year.

Keeping Leino and Stafford probably does insure the Sabres suck next year. Wouldn't it be better to buy them out later next year and are there any prohibitions on the timing of a buyout?

I'd rather give the $4 mill to player that looks like they are trying. I'm sure somebody will take Terry's money.

0 goals through 49 games! That is hard to do unless you're pretty much never around the net.

Some Sabres who have more goals than Ville this year: Nikita Zadorov, John Scott, Luke Adam, Rasmus Ristolainen, Phil Varone, CodyMac, Pysyk, Grigorenko, Tallinder, Matt Ellis, ....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.