Leino needs to go!

Wyldnwoody44

I was at the game and people were actually cheering his name "Let's Go Leino!" And they gave him a standing-O when he came out for the shootout. Everytime he had the puck fans shouted "shoooot!!" Sabres fans gave him more support than you would expect and he still refused to shoot the puck or score, and his shootout attempt was a hilariously bad representation of his entire Sabres career.

PTR

I was told by an insider (I won't say who to protect them) that I should not be surprised to see Leino stay for next season, and that there may be a few surprise moves (wouldn't tell me what yet). That's all I'm going to say on the matter but I didn't want a bunch of you to be uber shocked.

I can't see any circumstance where keeping Leino helps the team moving forward.

I was at the game and people were actually cheering his name "Let's Go Leino!" And they gave him a standing-O when he came out for the shootout. Everytime he had the puck fans shouted "shoooot!!" Sabres fans gave him more support than you would expect and he still refused to shoot the puck or score, and his shootout attempt was a hilariously bad representation of his entire Sabres career.

PTR

I don't think it was as much in support as it was he's become a joke and people were getting in on the comedic routine, known as Ville Leino.

I suggest that Leino becomes the default avatar for SabreSpace. Timmy was good, but he's been gone and it's time to find a new symbol for futility.

VilleLeinovv.jpg

I was told by an insider (I won't say who to protect them) that I should not be surprised to see Leino stay for next season, and that there may be a few surprise moves (wouldn't tell me what yet). That's all I'm going to say on the matter but I didn't want a bunch of you to be uber shocked.

McDAVID!

I don't think it was as much in support as it was he's become a joke and people were getting in on the comedic routine, known as Ville Leino.

I suggest that Leino becomes the default avatar for SabreSpace. Timmy was good, but he's been gone and it's time to find a new symbol for futility.

VilleLeinovv.jpg

Agree on all counts.

McDAVID!

McDavid is precisely why we must use a compliance buyout on him. We need a certain amount of help from the hockey gods, and allowing Leino to eat cap space and play is a slap in the face.

On a more serious note, it's now or never to get Leino off the books, and even though it's unlikely, it's possible we'll need that cap some in the next three years. Also, and more importantly, I don't want him as a veteran presence around our kids.

Why would I want Leino to go? he is perfect for my 2014-15 Sabres, plus we need his salary to hit the floor. The Sabres are going to have to pay a few players next year on short term deals.

TankStrong.

This has been a bu##sh#t statement since 2014 began. Please stop perpetuating this stupidity.

Sabres Payroll 2014-15 assuming Leino is bought out - I've given Ennis and Foligno hefty raises and brought back Scott and D'Agostini. Still should be around $12 million short and need at least 5 more guys.

One solution will be to break the bank and over pay Callahan. not sure who else you can bring in.

any other thoughts? you do have to get to the cap floor - that is a fact.

Forwards Cody Hodgson 4250000 Chris Stewart 4150000 Drew Stafford 4000000 Torrey Mitchell 1900000 Z. Girgensons 894167 Brian Flynn 637500 Matt Ellis 550000 Tyler Ennis 4000000 Marcus Foligno 2000000 John Scott 750000 Matt D'Agostini 550000 Defence Tyler Myers 5500000 C. Ehrhoff 4000000 Mike Weber 1666667 R. Ristolainen 925000 Jake McCabe 925000 Michal Nequvirth 2500000 Jhonas Enroth 1250000 40448334

A lot of lame posts coming up in this thread over the last page...

My inside source (me) tells me that it is completely false that we NEED Leino's contract to get to the floor. My inside source (me) also tells me that being extremely vague so you can come back later and say "I TOLD YOU I HAVE SOURCES!" is so lame.

A lot of lame posts coming up in this thread over the last page...

My inside source (me) tells me that it is completely false that we NEED Leino's contract to get to the floor. My inside source (me) also tells me that being extremely vague so you can come back later and say "I TOLD YOU I HAVE SOURCES!" is so lame.

I just read the last page. I haven't seen anyone claim that they have sources saying that. I think the notion that the Sabres don't need Leino's contract is based on some calculations that other posters have done, and not on anonymous sources.

Sabres Payroll 2014-15 assuming Leino is bought out - I've given Ennis and Foligno hefty raises and brought back Scott and D'Agostini. Still should be around $12 million short and need at least 5 more guys.

One solution will be to break the bank and over pay Callahan. not sure who else you can bring in.

any other thoughts? you do have to get to the cap floor - that is a fact.

Forwards Cody Hodgson 4250000 Chris Stewart 4150000 Drew Stafford 4000000 Torrey Mitchell 1900000 Z. Girgensons 894167 Brian Flynn 637500 Matt Ellis 550000 Tyler Ennis 4000000 Marcus Foligno 2000000 John Scott 750000 Matt D'Agostini 550000 Defence Tyler Myers 5500000 C. Ehrhoff 4000000 Mike Weber 1666667 R. Ristolainen 925000 Jake McCabe 925000 Michal Nequvirth 2500000 Jhonas Enroth 1250000 40448334

Any UFA in the league is better than Leino at $4.5M.

Literally any player.

I just read the last page. I haven't seen anyone claim that they have sources saying that. I think the notion that the Sabres don't need Leino's contract is based on some calculations that other posters have done, and not on anonymous sources.

I didn't say anybody said they have sources saying we need the contract. The source thing was a joke about the guy who did say that. Then somebody else said they need his contract...

I didn't say anybody said they have sources saying we need the contract. The source thing was a joke about the guy who did say that. Then somebody else said they need his contract...

I don't understand your reaction here. dEnnis is not a rumor monger or someone known for throwing "inside source" BS out there. He's also one of the smarter posters on this forum. I'm not sure he'd come out with this kind of information if he didn't think there was some credibility to it.

I don't understand your reaction here. dEnnis is not a rumor monger or someone known for throwing "inside source" BS out there. He's also one of the smarter posters on this forum. I'm not sure he'd come out with this kind of information if he didn't think there was some credibility to it.

Yes, this. Some people here actually do have contacts in certain places. It's not like the wookie posted it or someone like that.

Tim Murray has said publicly he is not at all concerned about reaching the cap floor. I assume he has a plan. I cannot imagine any scenario where Leino is part of that plan. They may still not be good next year, but I fully expect the roster to be completely purged of consistent under achievers. If you want to start to establish a certain style of play and mentality, which they do, Leino has to go.

The whole idea of keeping Leino next year to hit cap floor is ludicrous. Isn't this the only time where the Sabres can buy him out? Do people actually want this guy taking up cap space after next year (when the team is actually going to need all the money possible for free agents)? There is no chance in hell Leino is on this team next year if in fact this is a one time buyout. If not, and they can buy him out AFTER next year, fine.

The whole idea of keeping Leino next year to hit cap floor is ludicrous. Isn't this the only time where the Sabres can buy him out? Do people actually want this guy taking up cap space after next year (when the team is actually going to need all the money possible for free agents)? There is no chance in hell Leino is on this team next year if in fact this is a one time buyout. If not, and they can buy him out AFTER next year, fine.

You have it right; it's now or never for a cap-free buyout.

I didn't say they needed him to hit the floor, I'm saying my friend on the inside told me that I shouldn't be surprised to see him still in a Sabres uniform next year. There was no other context with it other than GMTM has a lot of plans and Leino isn't in the longterm but he may need to be in the short term.

Yes, this. Some people here actually do have contacts in certain places. It's not like the wookie posted it or someone like that.

thanks guys. My contact is within the organization but I can't say where (and no, it ain't concessions), and they are someone I grew up with in Buffalo and trust with my life. take from it what you will. if they're wrong than so be it, but they haven't been wrong before with anything else they've told me (and btw, they wouldn't tell me anything about Patty L)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.