Mr Ryan Miller....

spndnchz

You're going to find the analysis I'm working on to be quite interesting in this regard, I guarantee it.

Oh, say it in your deep voice, please. PLEASE.

Not what I mean; I mean that his attitude seems to improve when there's something other than a tenth-place finish on the line. I don't recall him having a bad attitude in playoff seasons, for example. In seasons where management clearly didn't give him a competitive team to work with (so there's nothing to play for), his attitude worsens.

I should give credit where due, too; this isn't my theory, it's something I picked up from Hoppe (I think) or one of the GR guys (but I think Hoppe).

Yeah, I dunno. You'd think going into 2011-12, Terry's first full season, after an offseason orgiastic feast of spending, that Miller would have been atop his game. First half of the season, not so much. A little over 3.0 GAA before the All-Star Break.

The other interesting change in Miller as he has angled for the Olympic team is that his routine of throwing his teammates under the proverbial bus has ceased and desisted. That Miller, too, will make its return next season, if not after the Olympics. Another major reason to shed yourself of the guy.

Playing in the NHL for his beloved Buffalo is not enough? Come on.

Why is it a select few still refuse to accept this as truth?

Why is it a select few still refuse to accept this as truth?

I don't know. It's not necessarily a slam on Miller. It's almost quaint, a professional athlete who cares more about country than the team he mercenaries for. And, yeah, I'm making mercenary a verb, and I better not get called into the abuses thread for an in-person with ink.

I don't know. It's not necessarily a slam on Miller. It's almost quaint, a professional athlete who cares more about country than the team he mercenaries for. And, yeah, I'm making mercenary a verb, and I better not get called into the abuses thread for an in-person with ink.

Not quaint at all....

In the hierarchy of hockey dreams....it goes like this

1. Lift Lord Stanley's Cup

2. Win Olympic Gold Medal for Country

Except when you are a Euro....it is reversed.

The love of a particular club team or city really is far down the list unless you grew up in that city.

Not quaint at all....

In the hierarchy of hockey dreams....it goes like this

1. Lift Lord Stanley's Cup

2. Win Olympic Gold Medal for Country

Except when you are a Euro....it is reversed.

Amen.

Tallinder was a monster playing in the Worlds last season. He brings 70% effort relative during the regular season. Don Cherry has some merit in his North America love.

Whether or not Miller is better during Olympic years may be up for debate, but let's say it's true. Why is this seen as a negative against him?

We've been told it's near impossible to keep that level of focus up for that long, so I don't hold that against him. Why don't we look at it like, "We get to enjoy an above average goalie, and during Olympic years, he's even better."?

I understand why that generally is true. And maybe you didn't hear the interview that I did which would lead you to not believe me. But it seemed quite clear. Obviously a plan can change but this plan looks set and stating otherwise is the real fabrication imo. All these thoughts of being competitive next year are just one of the stages of denial as posted above. I suggest watching the interview in the murray thread . Then give us your interpretation. Honestly not meant to be snarky. I'm curious how it could be in tree expected any nn other way

Auto correct. Interpreted not In tree expected

I agree, and took it the same way.

"We are already 1/2 - 3/4 of the way there, why not finish it? We have people who have been a part of it already before (Patrick). We have loads of draft picks and prospects, and the best way for us to get elite talent is in the draft. Once we get it, it becomes easier to get the Free Agents (especially the ones from the area, ie: Cally & Kane) to come to Buffalo and play with said elite players. At that point we can use the extra pieces to bring in proven talent and put us over the top. This is the best way to ensure we are competitive every year, not competing for 8th place and mediocrity." (That is how I interpreted it.)

I think the best way to look at this...Murray would rather bottom-out and trade these assets for pieces to have a chance at TWO "Elite" players in the drafts ('14 & '15), than dump younger pieces for veterans to chase 8th place this/next year.

And I am fully, 100%, on board with this idea...it is time we get something to be proud of, on and off the ice...year in, year out.

On with the tank...

Edited by DJshnooks

Whether or not Miller is better during Olympic years may be up for debate, but let's say it's true. Why is this seen as a negative against him?

We've been told it's near impossible to keep that level of focus up for that long, so I don't hold that against him. Why don't we look at it like, "We get to enjoy an above average goalie, and during Olympic years, he's even better."?

There's merit to assertion based on what I'm seeing so far in my number crunching.

Jesus H. Christ, with the buildup you're giving this, this better be some Good Will Hunting ######.

I kid. I'm looking forward to your work.

I don't expect it to be quite that interesting, but I think we'll at least have a solid basis for future discussion.

The tank is not complete, at the very least, until we draft first or second overall in 2014.

I am prepared to tank until the 2015 draft.

Yeah this. Part of me wants Miller traded and then the other half is saying what could we get for him. A top prospect and a first would be great but the first is going to be real late . It's going to be interesting to see what Murray has in store. I notice Miller plays great in Olympic years so he upped his trade value at least!

Hey, if they can make a noun out of "compete", then you are certainly entitled to make a verb out of mercenary.

GO SABRES!!!

Chances of winning the cup are higher.... It's given out yearly.... The Olympics only happen every 4 years and you arent guaranteed a spot on the roster.

Personally I'd rather win gold

The Stanley cup may be given out every year but I'm think it is more difficult to win. 4 best of seven series after an 82 game season and

Unlike the Olympics, there is more equality between all the teams. The Olympics have only 9different countries that have won medals in ice hockey, this is if you combine the Germany's and Czech republic with Czechoslovakia (probably wrong to do but) so really there are certain countries that if you are from you have an ex Ellen's shot of winning a medal at the Olympics. Out of that 6countries have won gold and great Britain did in 1936... So if you play for one of those 5 countries you have a good shot.

One of my wife's friends gave her "50 Shades of Grey" as a gift. How should I interpret that? As an invitation to hot lesbian action?

Yes, hot lesbian action should happen.

One of my wife's friends gave her "50 Shades of Grey" as a gift. How should I interpret that? As an invitation to hot lesbian action?

I don't know how you should interpret it, but you'd better start eating your Wheaties. If she starts reading that book, you're going to need some energy.

d4rk, are the computers at CERN finished compiling your statistics yet?

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.