Mr Ryan Miller....

spndnchz

Robviously. Yes. Exactly.

We don't need to tank next season, but this years tank is far from complete.

Keep in mind we are either going to have 2 top 5 picks this season. Or the isle pick next year. How awesome if we made the playoffs AND got McDavid?

Something about miller.

:lol:

The tank is not complete, at the very least, until we draft first or second overall in 2014.

Retaining Miller doesn't necessarily imply that the tank is off, but it does likely mean that a) we won't have as many picks and b) we might have to try harder to lose.

I am prepared to tank until the 2015 draft.

"The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That's the time to listen to every fear you can imagine. When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead!"

Go look at seymon varlamovs numbers then come back and explain to me what Colorado would want with miller.

I look at many teams and players numbers. Varlamov lacks some experience in the big game realm and Colorado's defense is porous at times. A net minder that can steel games would be worth it's weight in gold to a club such as them. As I stated, it's just a hunch. I don't follow the pack the way many do, so to speak, I form my own opinions then put them out there.

Edit: Oh, and I firmly believe this is Miller's last season in Buffalo. Nothing short of him re-signing prior to the Olympics would have me believe other wise. I suspect many fans haven't been able to wrap their heads around the fact that indeed, he is already gone they just don't know it yet. Unfortunately, they will be disappointed,

Edited by HopefulFuture

Five Stages of Grief: 1. Denial 2. Anger 3. Bargaining 4. Depression 5. Acceptance.

The only thing sadder than fans rooting for a tank is fans someone convincing themselves the tank is complete. It's like deciding you're going to go on a diet and then deciding mission accomplished because didn't that salad last week count just as much as a diet?

The Sabres have never tanked. This is their fourth year in a row where they've started horribly and then begun to climb out of that mid-season.

2010-2011: Start horribly, draft 16th.

2011-2012: Start horribly, draft 12th.

2012-2013: Start horribly, draft 8th.

2013-2014: Start horribly, draft ???.

What we have to show for this so far is: Armia (so-so in the AHL), Catenacci (barely exists in the AHL) , Jacobs (who?), Grigorenko (has had success in the Q and a good WJC), Girgensons (awesome but needs to protect himself if he wants a long career), McCabe (hasn't turned pro yet), Kea (???), Ullmark (let's see what he can do in North America in late 2015), Risto (so far so good), Zadorov (so far so good), and a 2013 grab bag of a forwards that *might* be good but probably won't be superstars (Compher, Hurley, Bailey, Baptiste, and Possler).

Not a bad haul, but I'm still not seeing a franchise player to lead us back to the playoffs in there. And by "franchise player", I'm not even talking about a Crosby. I just mean someone to lead the team, and to count on when the game is on the line. I guess maybe Myers if continues his resurgence. Maybe Girgensons if he doesn't get himself killed.

Complete the tank this year and a first overall pick means they're getting a player with more potential than anyone they've drafted since Pierre Turgeon (1987). Add that guy and suddenly this whole blueprint (no hashtag) snaps into focus. Unfortunately, draft 4th, 5th, or 6th this year (which seems likely) and we're looking at another Grignorenko-level prospect. Who knows?

As for next year, I hope they start off hot and we hope they hang in there for the playoffs. Anything is better than another year of "Start horribly, and hope they finish horribly." Four is plenty.

Based on that.....

2013-2014: Start horribly, draft 4th.

2014-2015: Start horribly, draft 1st.

I'd be perfectly fine with that.

Trade Miller,

He's already sold his condo. He's riding out the end of his Buffalo Sabres journey, there can be no doubt in anyone's mind. You get what you can for him and move along with the rebuild. Re-signing him is not an option in my humble opinion and letting him walk to UFA would be insane with 0 return.

As for teams to trade with, St. Louis is the most spoken of, but I'd wager that Philly, Washington and even Colorado would generate some interest in Miller. Just a hunch on all of those listed.

Murray all but said we are going for a high pick next year. He said there are was to manipulate your standings at the trade deadline to insure a higher draft pick. And also that next year holds the elite talent and that they are looking to get said talent. Embrace the tank next year. It is happening. Which imo means miller is gone. This has been stated. Keep calm and carry on. Mcdavid 2014

Murray all but said we are going for a high pick next year. He said there are was to manipulate your standings at the trade deadline to insure a higher draft pick. And also that next year holds the elite talent and that they are looking to get said talent. Embrace the tank next year. It is happening. Which imo means miller is gone. This has been stated. Keep calm and carry on. Mcdavid 2014

He did not say that! He said that if you were in the right position you could manipulate the standings by dumping at the deadline but never said they were tanking next year.

Miller should be traded. He'll be 34 in July, his best days are clearly behind him, his performance will only start a slow and steady decline with each season. And he's the most visible, highest profile tie to the old Regier/Ruff regime. In Roman times, when a new emperor came to power, he purged just about everyone. T-Pegs tried to be a little too kind and gentle, which makes the pain linger. Better to end it quickly.

He did not say that! He said that if you were in the right position you could manipulate the standings by dumping at the deadline but never said they were tanking next year.

my interpretation of what he said was this..." we are selling our players. Molson, ott, miller because we can get these same character guys back via FA. We are going to tank next year as well and make a run for a top pick. Then we will add some FAs and make some trades of our prospects to bring in solid talent. We dont want to be tanking for many years. But one more is well worth it. We want a cup. And this seems like the most solid route to it. If people are upset about tanking....play fantasy hockey. " Again just my opinion but it seemed pretty obvious they plan to tank one.more year and then begin to put the pieces in place to START being competitive. Understandingn it may take ano th er year or two to become truly competitive. Embrace the tank. Go sabres

Looks like we are in the right position now to manipulate the standings.

thank you. Agreed

Miller should be traded. He'll be 34 in July, his best days are clearly behind him, his performance will only start a slow and steady decline with each season. And he's the most visible, highest profile tie to the old Regier/Ruff regime. In Roman times, when a new emperor came to power, he purged just about everyone. T-Pegs tried to be a little too kind and gentle, which makes the pain linger. Better to end it quickly.

"Clearly"? His play hasn't even begun to drop off yet and you're comfortable making that statement?

"Clearly"? His play hasn't even begun to drop off yet and you're comfortable making that statement?

No it hasn't, it has actually picked up. You are right, but, I guarantee you he is not as good next year as he is this year. He won't be as good post Olympics either because he will be pouting from not playing. Miller seems to be cyclical. Olympics ring a bell, they happen once every 4 years. That will be the next time you see an increase in his play which will have dropped off after this year. Then again it may not as he will be pushing 38.

Edited by BocceBall

No it hasn't, it has actually picked up. You are right, but, I guarantee you he is not as good next year as he is this year. He won't be as good post Olympics either because he will be pouting from not playing. Miller seems to be cyclical. Olympics ring a bell, they happen once every 4 years. That will be the next time you see an increase in his play which will have dropped off after this year. Then again it may not as he will be pushing 38.

Maybe it's not the Olympics (that's been disabused with the stats, anyway). Maybe he needs something to play for.

my interpretation of what he said was this..." we are selling our players. Molson, ott, miller because we can get these same character guys back via FA. We are going to tank next year as well and make a run for a top pick. Then we will add some FAs and make some trades of our prospects to bring in solid talent. We dont want to be tanking for many years. But one more is well worth it. We want a cup. And this seems like the most solid route to it. If people are upset about tanking....play fantasy hockey. " Again just my opinion but it seemed pretty obvious they plan to tank one.more year and then begin to put the pieces in place to START being competitive. Understandingn it may take ano th er year or two to become truly competitive. Embrace the tank. Go sabres

thank you. Agreed

And that is the biggest problem with the Internet. People mis interpret, mis understand or just plain fabricate what they read or hear and then repeat it as fact so often that other people start believing it as well.

He's good, but I want this circus to be over.... Get what you can for him and move along.

Also that pretty nice save he made last night, I think it was umburger, it was shot right back into him which made the save look better than it was...I'm not a miller hater.... And i don't think enroth is the answer at #1 but I think we need to take a shot and see at least.

Worst that happens is our GT sucks and we draft better next year..... Win/win

The other interesting change in Miller as he has angled for the Olympic team is that his routine of throwing his teammates under the proverbial bus has ceased and desisted. That Miller, too, will make its return next season, if not after the Olympics. Another major reason to shed yourself of the guy.

Maybe it's not the Olympics (that's been disabused with the stats, anyway). Maybe he needs something to play for.

Playing in the NHL for his beloved Buffalo is not enough? Come on.

The other interesting change in Miller as he has angled for the Olympic team is that his routine of throwing his teammates under the proverbial bus has ceased and desisted. That Miller, too, will make its return next season, if not after the Olympics. Another major reason to shed yourself of the guy.

Playing in the NHL for his beloved Buffalo is not enough? Come on.

Not what I mean; I mean that his attitude seems to improve when there's something other than a tenth-place finish on the line. I don't recall him having a bad attitude in playoff seasons, for example. In seasons where management clearly didn't give him a competitive team to work with (so there's nothing to play for), his attitude worsens.

I should give credit where due, too; this isn't my theory, it's something I picked up from Hoppe (I think) or one of the GR guys (but I think Hoppe).

Edited by Eleven

He's good, but I want this circus to be over.... Get what you can for him and move along.

Also that pretty nice save he made last night, I think it was umburger, it was shot right back into him which made the save look better than it was...I'm not a miller hater.... And i don't think enroth is the answer at #1 but I think we need to take a shot and see at least.

Worst that happens is our GT sucks and we draft better next year..... Win/win

Exactly. Some people embrace both the tank and keeping Miller. You can't have both. The tank will take 3-5 years to be completed. Miller will be 37-39. Come on people were are smarter than this.

Do we really spend all this time to build a team of high draft picks and eventually top FA's only to have our GT be in his upper 30's? You think PLF and TM are that stupid? I don't care how good he is playing right now or if he wins a gold medal. He is not the GT to be on this cup contending team we are dreaming about. We have way to far to go in the rebuild and management knows this. Ryan Miller will be a average to below average GT by the time we are able to truly compete.

Absolutely agree. Maintain the path, do not waiver, there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel and I'm counting on it being a cup contending team.

And that is the biggest problem with the Internet. People mis interpret, mis understand or just plain fabricate what they read or hear and then repeat it as fact so often that other people start believing it as well.

I understand why that generally is true. And maybe you didn't hear the interview that I did which would lead you to not believe me. But it seemed quite clear. Obviously a plan can change but this plan looks set and stating otherwise is the real fabrication imo. All these thoughts of being competitive next year are just one of the stages of denial as posted above. I suggest watching the interview in the murray thread . Then give us your interpretation. Honestly not meant to be snarky. I'm curious how it could be in tree expected any nn other way

Auto correct. Interpreted not In tree expected

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.