• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

You dont think the best scoring winger in the NHL would get the max deal? What world do you live in? Parise got it.......

Parise was a UFA when he signed it, Stamkos was an RFA. And be careful when looking at salary structure vs. cap hit. No way Parise signs a deal with a 12 mil cap hit now that there's term limits.

Oh, and Stamkos is a center, at best the 3rd best in the league behind Crosby and Malkin. So yes, I think it's completely insane to think he'd get a new deal for $2.5MM more than Malkin if the deal were signed right now.

No he doesnt really kill penalties. He's on the PK less than Stafford, Girgs, and Clarke freaking macarthur. He's 150th on PK time for all forwards in the NHL.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ryan+callahan+penalty+kill&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

People sure talk about his penalty killing a lot for a guy that doesnt do it.

He has been hurt therefore not practicing with the unit which is why he isnt on it much currently. He is an incredible penalty killer and an awesome two day player.

Parise was a UFA when he signed it, Stamkos was an RFA. And be careful when looking at salary structure vs. cap hit. No way Parise signs a deal with a 12 mil cap hit now that there's term limits.

Oh, and Stamkos is a center, at best the 3rd best in the league behind Crosby and Malkin. So yes, I think it's completely insane to think he'd get a new deal for $2.5MM more than Malkin if the deal were signed right now.

He could easily get a max deal........ It isnt even a debate. I dont know why you think that he couldnt. Malkin took a small pay cut on an extension a sweetheart deal with one of the best teams in the league. Where he plays with the best player in the league.

Edited by FolignosJock

No he isnt. Callahan kills penalties as well. Also why are people making RC out to be TC. He isnt hurt that much so get over this year.....

since 2006/07 he has played more then 60 games in a season only 3 times (81 in 08/09, 77 in 09/10, and 76 in 11/12). He has 1 other seasons where he hit 60 games (10/11)

this year he is on pace for 65 games

While he is not Timmy when it comes to fragility, he still misses chunks of time for injuries and as he ages, I doubt thats going to get much better

since 2006/07 he has played more then 60 games in a season only 3 times (81 in 08/09, 77 in 09/10, and 76 in 11/12). He has 1 other seasons where he hit 60 games (10/11)

this year he is on pace for 65 games

While he is not Timmy when it comes to fragility, he still misses chunks of time for injuries and as he ages, I doubt thats going to get much better

He became a full time player in 08/09...... the other season you are including was lockout shortened......... So he has played at least 60 games in each and every season........

No you analyze/predict/project......

No, you are hoping/assuming/Praying that the cap just continues to go up

I don't think anyone is predicting that cap will continue to climb substantially after this years one time jump due to the cut back they did from the lockout

Its unlikely its going to go down but the increase from year to year after this offseason will be more in line with what the increases were year to year prior to the lockout.

No, you are hoping/assuming/Praying that the cap just continues to go up

I don't think anyone is predicting that cap will continue to climb substantially after this years one time jump due to the cut back they did from the lockout

Its unlikely its going to go down but the increase from year to year after this offseason will be more in line with what the increases were year to year prior to the lockout.

So you are telling me that it is going to continue to go up but arguing about how much? I am saying it is going up every year for the foreseeable future and so are you! Stop arguing with yourself.

Which is still only 3/4ths of a season

Hahahah he has played 60 games just once in his career. All of last year, an 81 game season a 77 game season and this year where he is projected to play 65 games....

So he has played in 330/375 games.

so he plays in roughly 90% of the games in his career. He isnt injury prone and it isnt a reason not to sign him.

it wont hurt them in the least! It will be an even better deal when the cap hits 100m. It is only going up. That deal will look like a steal in 2-3 years.

This deal we are talking is jordan staal money. Which is right where he belongs.

The reason the cap is going up so much is because of the new deal the NHL signed for the TV contract. We can't count on that every year. My guess is that after we hit 70mil this year it takes another 5 years to get from their to 80mil. It will level off and may stop. A smart GM with this crappy team isn't going to handcuff himself like that.

You saw what happened to the Sabres after Black Sunday, yes?

Would it have been worth letting TC and Max go in order to keep Drury (that's at his UFA cost -- never mind the way TG/LQ butchered the opportunity to keep him for much less)?

Remember that UFAs always cost too much. But if you're going to spend on a UFA, it's better to spend $7MM on a guy who "should" be worth $4.5MM than it is to spend $4.5MM on a guy who is worth $1MM (like Darcy did repeatedly).

So You would rather do exactly what Darcy did which is pay wingers more money than any of your centers and then be a crappy team for 7 years because you have crappy centers? If Callahan was a center I might be on board but until he becomes one I am not at that price. He would be the highest paid guy on the team and he isn't worth it.

To be fair, it was reported he is looking for $6 mil per.

http://prohockeytalk...g-33m-over-six/

Okay that is what he wants from NYR not what I think we would have to pay him to get him.

Edited by LGR4GM

it wont hurt them in the least! It will be an even better deal when the cap hits 100m. It is only going up. That deal will look like a steal in 2-3 years.

Holy ######! How much are beers at the arena when we get to that point?

The reason the cap is going up so much is because of the new deal the NHL signed for the TV contract. We can't count on that every year. My guess is that after we hit 70mil this year it takes another 5 years to get from their to 80mil. It will level off and may stop. A smart GM with this crappy team isn't going to handcuff himself like that.

So You would rather do exactly what Darcy did which is pay wingers more money than any of your centers and then be a crappy team for 7 years because you have crappy centers? If Callahan was a center I might be on board but until he becomes one I am not at that price. He would be the highest payed guy on the team and he isn't worth it.

Okay that is what he wants from NYR not what I think we would have to pay him to get him.

If it hits 80 million this is still a great deal.80 million is being very cautious

So you are telling me that it is going to continue to go up but arguing about how much? I am saying it is going up every year for the foreseeable future and so are you! Stop arguing with yourself.

My point was that after this one time jump in the cap, theres no idea how much of an increase (if any) there will be year to year. To say that overpaying for someone this year will be no problem cause the cap will increase year to year is just not true if the cap is only increasing a few million from year to year

He has missed 54 games to date since 2008-09.

Exactly. This is not injury prone at all! The dude is hardly ever hurt!

My point was that after this one time jump in the cap, theres no idea how much of an increase (if any) there will be year to year. To say that overpaying for someone this year will be no problem cause the cap will increase year to year is just not true if the cap is only increasing a few million from year to year

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/how-the-nhls-salary-cap-could-hit-90-million/article7029575/

Projecting the cap to be around 90 million when his deal will be ending. Which will make him an absolute steal for the last 3-4 years of the deal...thats at 7 per, if we could get him at 6 or 6.5 it is even better

It is if the deal is seven years long..... .

Edited by FolignosJock

If it hits 80 million this is still a great deal.80 million is being very cautious

You think paying your 2nd/3rd line RW 11% of your cap space is a great deal? Are you Darcy Regier?

No new tv contracts for a bit.

You think paying your 2nd/3rd line RW 11% of your cap space is a great deal? Are you Darcy Regier?

What? he makes a higher percentage than that currently on a team that still has the money to have elite talent.... So yes that is a good deal.

And where is that team right now? Looking at dumping him cause they don't want to pay him what you say he is worth even with the increase in the cap

They cant pay him! They cant afford him because they decided to keep their goalie and sign the truly expensive free agents. We arent doing that! We are getting rid of the goalie.....

They would love to but the Richards deal has hamstrung them

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ny-rangers-blackhawks-pending-salary-cap-ruin-under-152721636.html

Edited by FolignosJock

What? he makes a higher percentage than that currently on a team that still has the money to have elite talent.... So yes that is a good deal.

Hold on a second, You are seriously trying to compare Ryan Callahan's salary to the current Cap which is lower than when he signed his deal and artificially low because of the new CBA?

The math when he signed that deal was 6.74% of the cap. If the cap hits 71mil and he signs for 7mil his hit will be 9.86% of the cap. So you are saying he is worth a 3.12% against the cap increase?

It will be around 8-9 percent depending on if we can get him for a between 6-7 mil. It is a very good deal. It is a deal that the Rangers would make if they didnt already have 33 percent of their cap invested in three players.

Hold on a second, You are seriously trying to compare Ryan Callahan's salary to the current Cap which is lower than when he signed his deal and artificially low because of the new CBA?

The math when he signed that deal was 6.74% of the cap. If the cap hits 71mil and he signs for 7mil his hit will be 9.86% of the cap. So you are saying he is worth a 3.12% against the cap increase?

Yes he is easily worth that small pay increase. Especially on a team with millions of cap space to play with for the next 3-4 years.

If that cap hits 80 by the end of the deal which is a low estimate he will be at 7.5% to 8.75% of the cap which is where he is at right now. If it goes to 90 which is what most projections say he will be at 6.6 to 7.7% of the cap. It is a very fair deal.

Edited by FolignosJock

yeah thats because he signed his deal in 2009! He would get 12 million easy right now.

http://www.capgeek.com/leaders/

What? that's how much Malkin, Datsyuk etc are making. Stamkos is only making 8. Yet 7x7 is a deal for a checking line winger???

and Stamkos was an RFA when he signed his deal. Like Foligno said, put those guys on the open market today and see what they get.