• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

One would be enough to screw us in the draft. I pray it waits until 2016.

They have the investors and Key Arena is a capable temporary home. That won't be an issue.

Maybe you haven't been following it all as closely as me (because, having been to Seattle, that place would love hockey), but there are already reports that an announcement on their expansion team is due soon (as in by the end of this season) as they are close to deciding between multiple investors.

Key Arena is very small and would require the loss of seats to make it NHL rink size.. It would be by far the smallest venue in the NHL

15,177 for ice hockey games

""The sightlines, however, benefitted the SuperSonics at the expense of the junior Thunderbirds, with a scoreboard that was significantly off-center in a hockey configuration, hanging over one blue line instead of the center-ice faceoff circle."""

So I think it's about time I step out of denial and admit what I think is the horrible truth: we are not getting McDavid OR Eichel. With the talk really getting hotter on a Seattle expansion in 2015, they'll get the first pick. They'll likely want to expand to an even 32 (Quebec City) which means those two teams will have a coin flip that will decide who gets the first two picks.

We'll be tanking for the third overall pick next year.

Would the Current NHL Owners who maybe have a chance to win the NHL Draft Lottery in 2015 allow two brand new franchises to start with Mc David and Eichel almost guaranteeing them success for the next decade?

Then again with the amount of money an expansion fee brings in who knows.

Edited by BRAWNDO

The Lindros case was a good one to point out, and gives a little more comfort to assuage the fears of sabres fans that McDavid would be snatched up by expansion Seattle in 2015. Precedent says the worst team gets the franchise player ahead of an expansion franchise.

Well, except for 1970...there's precedent against, too!

What really would be funny is after all of this the kids come up next year and do well enough to end up 15th in nhl :D

Those of you that think this will never happen, Some of them are capable of that, we better keep them down another year.

I think this is a very real possibility. Maybe not 15th but something like 8th or 10th from the bottom. Even if they traded the Hoff I'm not convinced Risto, Zad, Myers (he's finally found his game again) and Pysyk won't be a decent top 4 that is superior to this club's current top 4. The real issue is whether we sign a decent goaltender. I really don't think Enroth can get the job done over the course of a full season.

Of course. One presumption was that the teams that suck this year will substantially suck next year as well. I haven't seen much improvement from them.

You're also assuming that these teams are completely clueless about McDavid and would trade away their chance at drafting him.

I'm not comfortable putting all my eggs into the McDavid basket. What happens if he busts his knee and misses a season? What happens if he starts off his career with a few concussions? What happens if he turns into a disgruntled pro athlete and the second his contract lets him go, he catches the first flight out of BFLO?

I'm much more comfortable building a solid TEAM with the several draft picks we have. We have enough picks now. Let's keep what little we have left, focus on the draft, focus on re-signing Ott and let's get this show on the road. This means keeping Ehrhoff and Myers.

FWIW, the Sabres still only have one first round pick this year.

True, I was going along the supposition that we'd get one more from the deadline and another from the Blues. Having 10% of the 1st round would be nuts

oh and i can definately see Seatle and Q city being added by 2015 draft, they have the arena's , just need some financial backing wich won't be much of an issue in either city and we have 32 teams :D

Getting Mcdavid would be great, but to be honest, Crosby/malkin have only won it once while everyone thought they would have 3 times by now.

Edited by Heimdall

I'm not comfortable putting all my eggs into the McDavid basket. What happens if he busts his knee and misses a season? What happens if he starts off his career with a few concussions I? What happens if he turns into a disgruntled pro athlete and the second his contract lets him go, he catches the first flight out of BFLO?

I'm much more comfortable building a solid TEAM with the several draft picks we have. We have enough picks now. Let's keep what little we have left, focus on the draft, focus on re-signing Ott and let's get this show on the road. This means keeping Ehrhoff and Myers.

Agreed!!

Edited by sicknfla

I'm not comfortable putting all my eggs into the McDavid basket. What happens if he busts his knee and misses a season? What happens if he starts off his career with a few concussions? What happens if he turns into a disgruntled pro athlete and the second his contract lets him go, he catches the first flight out of BFLO?

The exact same thing that happens when any of these unfortunate incidents happen to your best players acquired through massive UFA contracts or future-sacrificing trades: you're screwed. If McDavid busts, or is great but suffers debilitating injuries, that would suck. If we trade Ristolainen, a 1st and a 2nd for Ryan Kesler and his hip and shoulder proceed to explode again, is that any less sucky just because it's a proven player? Nope.

The exact same thing that happens when any of these unfortunate incidents happen to your best players acquired through massive UFA contracts or future-sacrificing trades: you're screwed. If McDavid busts, or is great but suffers debilitating injuries, that would suck. If we trade Ristolainen, a 1st and a 2nd for Ryan Kesler and his hip and shoulder proceed to explode again, is that any less sucky just because it's a proven player? Nope.

Of course it does. However Ristolainen and Kesler aren't on the same level as the McDavid comparisons to Crosby as a generational superstar; the type of player that you completely build around. I don't want my team to be focusing completely on one player, especially considering the risks of the draft lotto where we might not even get that pick and we tanked 2014-15 on purpose. As much as it didn't work under Darcy, I still believe that in today's hockey the most successful teams are ones that build around a core.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

We are 2.5 days removed from trading both the goalie and the team's captain and you think there's a lack of activity?

No, I just want to get past the bad taste in my mouth that's PLF (and maybe TN if he keeps whining about what happened to his dear friend).

Of course it does. However Ristolainen and Kesler aren't on the same level as the McDavid comparisons to Crosby as a generational superstar; the type of player that you completely build around. I don't want my team to be focusing completely on one player, especially considering the risks of the draft lotto where we might not even get that pick and we tanked 2014-15 on purpose. As much as it didn't work under Darcy, I still believe that in today's hockey the most successful teams are ones that build around a core.

Prefect example is everyones new favorite team - the Blues. How did they build that team? I don't recall it taking a 2 1/2 year tank to do so. Sure they had some lean years but i am pretty sure it was always under the mindset to get better. This mindset to suck balls for 2 1/2 years is really getting old.

Prefect example is everyones new favorite team - the Blues. How did they build that team? I don't recall it taking a 2 1/2 year tank to do so. Sure they had some lean years but i am pretty sure it was always under the mindset to get better. This mindset to suck balls for 2 1/2 years is really getting old.

Right, it doesn't take that long. ESPECIALLY when you have unlimited cash, a TON of cap room and 10-13 top two round draft picks in the next two years. They have everything at their disposal to do this as quickly as possible without sacrificing any long term success.

I'm not comfortable putting all my eggs into the McDavid basket. What happens if ...

The exact same thing that happens when any of these unfortunate incidents happen to your best players ..

Correct.

Plus, if you do what I mentioned, you get not just McDavid, you get 2/3/4 outstanding other players in that draft class, which could end up being the best draft class for any team ever. So even if one or two guys bust/injure/disgruntle, you still got some outstanding players. And they'll all develop together. That'd be a sweet team.

I think that's better than trading your players to decent teams, ending up with so-so 1st round draft picks and attempting to trade 2/3/4 of those picks up to get McDavid (which probably isn't possible anyways). Trade the players to ###### teams, paying some premium or not getting as much in return with that great 1st rounder. Then win the lottery or don't, you still get one year where you possibly got an entire line of great players. UFAs will still exist in the future for building out the rest of the team.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Let's look at some teams that finished in the bottom 5 of league standings over the past decade or so:

In 2005-2006, the bottom 5 were Boston, Washington, Chicago, Pitt, and St. Louis. 3 of those teams are in the top 4 of the league this year. The following year you have Chicago, and Washington again in the bottom 5, along with LA and Philly. Then LA again finishing tied for last in the entire league in 07-08. 08-09, LA again was in the bottom 5 along with Colorado. Colorado then finished 2nd to last in 10-11'. And just two years ago Anaheim was in the bottom 5 again, last year Colorado next to last.

Anaheim, Chicago, St. Louis, Pitt, Colorado, and LA make up 6 of the top 7 teams in the league this year.

Bottoming out works if you draft wisely, and a quick turnaround is not out of the question. It doesn't have to be a 5 year plan, it can be 2 or 3 if you manage your roster correctly and draft well.

Let's look at some teams that finished in the bottom 5 of league standings over the past decade or so:

In 2005-2006, the bottom 5 were Boston, Washington, Chicago, Pitt, and St. Louis. 3 of those teams are in the top 4 of the league this year. The following year you have Chicago, and Washington again in the bottom 5, along with LA and Philly. Then LA again finishing tied for last in the entire league in 07-08. 08-09, LA again was in the bottom 5 along with Colorado. Colorado then finished 2nd to last in 10-11'. And just two years ago Anaheim was in the bottom 5 again, last year Colorado next to last.

Anaheim, Chicago, St. Louis, Pitt, Colorado, and LA make up 6 of the top 7 teams in the league this year.

Bottoming out works if you draft wisely, and a quick turnaround is not out of the question. It doesn't have to be a 5 year plan, it can be 2 or 3 if you manage your roster correctly and draft well.

Are you agreeing with me?

On the expansion talk we had:

Michael Russo@Russostrib 4m

Bettman says he continues to get #nhl expansion interest from Seattle, Vegas, Kansas City, Quebec City

I think expansion is inevitable. Seattle is a lock. The other is almost 100% going to be QC, though.

I personally know for a fact that the NHL is willing to go to Vegas. It's really the arena that is holding that city back. That's not to say as soon as they get an arena a team is immediately moving there. I just know, firsthand, that they already told at least one ownership group that they are open to having a team there. And this was a few years ago. Unless something changed in the interim.

All of the youngsters should spend one more season in the AHL or juniors next year. Play well for their team, play in all situations, maybe play for a championship. The Sabres should end up with pick 1 or 2 in the draft again. The following season the youngsters come up, the Sabres get a couple of decent free agents and attempt to make the playoffs. The tank is over and with good drafting and a little luck the playoffs are a possibility. But not next year. Stay the course. Tank one more year.

What really would be funny is after all of this the kids come up next year and do well enough to end up 15th in nhl :D

Those of you that think this will never happen, Some of them are capable of that, we better keep them down another year.

I personally know for a fact that the NHL is willing to go to Vegas. It's really the arena that is holding that city back. That's not to say as soon as they get an arena a team is immediately moving there. I just know, firsthand, that they already told at least one ownership group that they are open to having a team there. And this was a few years ago. Unless something changed in the interim.

There is currently a group preparing to build a $1.2 billion sports stadium there in hopes to attract the NBA, probably the NHL as well.

I live in Las Vegas and we don't have enough to get a team here. That would be pure stupidity if they expand to Las Vegas. The pro team we have draws on 2000-7000 and I'm being generous on the 7,000. I lived in Buffalo for my first 16 years and have watched Las Vegas expand but the only market I see happening and that is a long shot is the NBA.

Edited by SabresBillsFan