• Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

:huh: :blink:

the guy logs 24+ minutes a night and has been one of if not the most consistent D-man since he came here!

And I don't think we need to get rid of everybody to stay in any McDavid lottery. With the roster we'll have after this trade deadline, barring any huge offseason signings, we should still be in contention. Ehrhoff is a piece I wouldn't mind keeping around as a consistent piece to our backend.

Exactly. And he's the kind of player that will be playing 24+ minutes when he's 38 years old too.

If Detroit is going to look into a guy like Ehrhoff, discussions should probably start with a guy like Nyquist. At some point Buffalo is going to need to add NHL ready but still lower priced guys like this. Reunite him with Flynn and walk your way to the cup. :lol:

Nyquist or Tatar are who I'm looking at in a trade to Detroit.

Nyquist or Tatar are who I'm looking at in a trade to Detroit.

It starts and ends with Ehrhoff for Drew miller Straight up.

Drew comes to Buffalo, is assigned the number 30 and it allows the Sabres to look good to its fans because all of the Miller Jerseys out there won't go to waste and can still be worn

It starts and ends with Ehrhoff for Drew miller Straight up.

Drew comes to Buffalo, is assigned the number 30 and it allows the Sabres to look good to its fans because all of the Miller Jerseys out there won't go to waste and can still be worn

I am pretty sure you could wear a Miller jersey now and no one would mind.

I am pretty sure you could wear a Miller jersey now and no one would mind.

Well you could wear it with a black armband........

Still, it would be a nice gesture by the front office during these tough times to do something for the fans and help them out so they don't end up having to get all new jerseys.......

Ehrhoff has underperformed. He's bad defensively. I'm fine with moving him.

Don't forget Connor McDavid is the end-game here folks. Stay the course.

You know I don't mean to single anyone out or anything but I have been seeing this a lot and it pisses me off. I said all last year we should tank. We should trade away everything and tank for MacKinnon. It was a short season, deep draft, perfect opportunity to do it. Now this year after sucking for the entirety of the season I am having ppl say this periodically "Don't forget we all gotta take next year for McDavid, stay the course/next year is the real tank/don't waiver"... are you fracking joking with me?

Stop ppl. We all understand about McDavid. We also know about Eichel. Just please stop saying these cliche bs lines about "Hanging in their and staying the course".

NO! NO! NO! JUST STOP!! We have enough picks, we have enough cap room, we have enough money. Let's have some semblance of a team going forward!

I agree but many here want to suck for a couple of more years

Ehrhoff has underperformed. He's bad defensively. I'm fine with moving him.

Don't forget Connor McDavid is the end-game here folks. Stay the course.

Life is too short to continuously suck.

Keep in mind that Connor McDavid is that good. A once in 5-10 years type of player (at least according to Don Cherry in the D&C yesterday).

But expecting to load up on picks and trading picks at draft time to get that #1 overall pick is extremely unlikely. So what we need to do is target the teams that suck and acquire their 1st round picks to increase the chance of winning the lottery. I'm talking about guys like Ehrhoff to Edmonton for their pick (and more) and some combination of Stafford, Stewart and/or Moulson to Florida (and some other details) for theirs. New York will hopefully defer (and still suck balls).

That would give us, at the current standings:

Buffalo 25%

Edmonton 18.8%

Florida 14.2%

New York 10.7%

That totals to a 68.7% chance of winning the lottery for McDavid, plus whatever else we got back in trades, plus a guarantee for four of the top five players in a strong draft (regardless of lottery).

I think it's really, really aggressive, but definitely not impossible. And I like Ehrhoff.

edit: I forgot about Calgary, but ###### Calgary. We could trade to them as well and make it totally ridiculous at 76.9% and five of the top six players, or if we didn't, it'd be down to only 66.1%.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Keep in mind that Connor McDavid is that good. A once in 5-10 years type of player (at least according to Don Cherry in the D&C yesterday).

But expecting to load up on picks and trading picks at draft time to get that #1 overall pick is extremely unlikely. So what we need to do is target the teams that suck and acquire their 1st round picks to increase the chance of winning the lottery. I'm talking about guys like Ehrhoff to Edmonton for their pick (and more) and some combination of Stafford, Stewart and/or Moulson to Florida (and some other details) for theirs. New York will hopefully defer (and still suck balls).

That would give us, at the current standings:

Buffalo 25%

Edmonton 18.8%

Florida 14.2%

New York 10.7%

That totals to a 68.7% chance of winning the lottery for McDavid, plus whatever else we got back in trades, plus a guarantee for four of the top five players in a strong draft (regardless of lottery).

I think it's really, really aggressive, but definitely not impossible. And I like Ehrhoff.

edit: I forgot about Calgary, but ###### Calgary. We could trade to them as well and make it totally ridiculous at 76.9% and five of the top six players, or if we didn't, it'd be down to only 66.1%.

You do know that McDavid is next year, right?

So I think it's about time I step out of denial and admit what I think is the horrible truth: we are not getting McDavid OR Eichel. With the talk really getting hotter on a Seattle expansion in 2015, they'll get the first pick. They'll likely want to expand to an even 32 (Quebec City) which means those two teams will have a coin flip that will decide who gets the first two picks.

We'll be tanking for the third overall pick next year.

I agree but many here want to suck for a couple of more years.

Alternative interpretation: given the moves that have already been made, the team is going to be bad for a couple years. The question is do you want to suck enough to have a good chance at a generational talent, or suck a little less for a snowball's chance in hell at a generational talent. Paying Paul Stastny to be a #1 center and trading Ristolainen and a 2nd for Callahan doesn't make this team competitive. If we could undo all of the moves dating back to before last season's deadline, you could make the case a few more supplemental moves could get the team in the conversation. But seeing as that's not possible, may as well acknowledge reality.

You do know that McDavid is next year, right?

Of course. One presumption was that the teams that suck this year will substantially suck next year as well. I haven't seen much improvement from them.

With the talk really getting hotter on a Seattle expansion in 2015, they'll get the first pick.

Oh, ###### that.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

So I think it's about time I step out of denial and admit what I think is the horrible truth: we are not getting McDavid OR Eichel. With the talk really getting hotter on a Seattle expansion in 2015, they'll get the first pick. They'll likely want to expand to an even 32 (Quebec City) which means those two teams will have a coin flip that will decide who gets the first two picks.

I remain very skeptical they have two franchises open for business within the calendar year.

That would be incredibly unfortunate bordering on unfair. All 30 teams have been looking at the 2015 draft as the draft where the next Crosby can be obtained. I think there would be some major controversy and angry owners if the NHL expanded for this draft.

Plus, doesn't it usually take a few years of rumblings before any expansion even takes place? I have heard very little. That and the talent level of the NHL is already pretty diluted, the competition would get way worse with another 60ish NHL jobs available.

I remain very skeptical they have two franchises open for business within the calendar year.

Agreed. This is for another thread, but I think Seattle's next, but they need a new building and investors. Key Arena could suffice in the short term, but a deal would have to be in place for new digs for the league to get there. I think it's more likely that another franchise gets moved there, thereby not forcing an expansion draft.

Even if that happens, and I don't think it will, there's precedent for allowing the worst team to go ahead and pick before the expansion team does. In fact, it happened right here in Buffalo, when the "next one" was Eric Lindros. The league was not about to screw Quebec over, and San Jose picked second.

One would be enough to screw us in the draft. I pray it waits until 2016.

Agreed. This is for another thread, but I think Seattle's next, but they need a new building and investors. Key Arena could suffice in the short term, but a deal would have to be in place for new digs for the league to get there. I think it's more likely that another franchise gets moved there, thereby not forcing an expansion draft.

They have the investors and Key Arena is a capable temporary home. That won't be an issue.

Maybe you haven't been following it all as closely as me (because, having been to Seattle, that place would love hockey), but there are already reports that an announcement on their expansion team is due soon (as in by the end of this season) as they are close to deciding between multiple investors.

Edited by Tankalicious

Even if that happens, and I don't think it will, there's precedent for allowing the worst team to go ahead and pick before the expansion team does. In fact, it happened right here in Buffalo, when the "next one" was Eric Lindros. The league was not about to screw Quebec over, and San Jose picked second.

The Lindros case was a good one to point out, and gives a little more comfort to assuage the fears of sabres fans that McDavid would be snatched up by expansion Seattle in 2015. Precedent says the worst team gets the franchise player ahead of an expansion franchise.