• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

Assuming your prognosis is correct, then the rebuild is doomed to fail before it starts taking off.

I'm just being realistic about the hit rate for picks/prospects turning into NHL players as good as Moulson is. That hit rate is pretty GD low.

I'm fine with trading good players that don't want to be here -- the Sabres had no choice but to trade Miller and Vanek, and they did a good job in those trades. But trading good players just for the sake of trading them? Why?

I'm just being realistic about the hit rate for picks/prospects turning into NHL players as good as Moulson is. That hit rate is pretty GD low.

I'm fine with trading good players that don't want to be here -- the Sabres had no choice but to trade Miller and Vanek, and they did a good job in those trades. But trading good players just for the sake of trading them? Why?

If we got Toffoli it may be worth the trade but I definitely understand where you are coming from.

Even if we land Toffoli from LA, his ceiling is probably right around a 25 goal scorer. Which is Moulson right now. And he's not even assured to hit his ceiling. Wheels meet spin.

Chris Nichols also retweeted this. Seems to be somewhat legit. If this is the case I would expect a decent return.

If all he did was retweet Brooks, it doesn't make anything any more credible. I want at least one other independent source.

Amen.

Kinda disappointed to hear about Moulson. Here's a 25+ goal scorer and solid citizen who is interested in staying, and the Sabres aren't interested? Why? Because they'd rather have a pick or a prospect who might, but probably won't, be as good as Moulson in 3-5 years?

Also, Brooksie is slightly more credible than Garrioch, but only slightly.

I agree. Great locker room guy. Is one of relatively few guys who can consistently score goals in this league. Is an elite power play goal scorer. Is only 30 years old. Why not take a shot at signing him long-term? We already have an absurd number of picks and prospects. It'd be nice to keep at least a couple of guys who can actually play the game at a high level...

If all he did was retweet Brooks, it doesn't make anything any more credible. I want at least one other independent source.

I would too but the fact another credible source feels okay retweeting does lend some credibility.

Even if we land Toffoli from LA, his ceiling is probably right around a 25 goal scorer. Which is Moulson right now. And he's not even assured to hit his ceiling. Wheels meet spin.

Like I said I would keep Moulson unless an offer blew me away. I would have also signed him to a deal making him more than a rental. It will be interesting to see it shake out.

I agree. Great locker room guy. Is one of relatively few guys who can consistently score goals in this league. Is an elite power play goal scorer. Is only 30 years old. Why not take a shot at signing him long-term? We already have an absurd number of picks and prospects. It'd be nice to keep at least a couple of guys who can actually play the game at a high level...

But we can always have more!!!!!!!

......And remember, the goal is McDavid ;) !

Actually, if someone credible is willing to re-tweet what someone else has said, I would say it does increase the credibility of the original comment

You would expect/hope that someone credible wouldn't put their credibility on the line re-tweeting a comment from some nobody that has a good chance of not being truth

Fine, and, again, if the hit rate is that bad, then the Sabres are doomed. It will take years and years to get out of the basement, if they do at all.

Someone somewhere has a spreadsheet saying it's a good idea.

Edited by sizzlemeister

But we can always have more!!!!!!!

......And remember, the goal is McDavid ;) !

Actually, if someone credible is willing to re-tweet what someone else has said, I would say it does increase the credibility of the original comment

You would expect/hope that someone credible wouldn't put their credibility on the line re-tweeting a comment from some nobody that has a good chance of not being truth

Adam, a man famous for his credibility, said, "Ben said the sky is green."

Adam's statement does not make Ben's statement any more or less likely to be true.

Anyway. Clemmensen on waivers now. Is he decent enough to be the Sabres' backup?

After seeing the comment from Moulson about no negotiations being had between him and the Sabres, I really wonder how true any of the talk was about the Sabres attempting to re-sign any of their players (or getting an idea where they stand with a rebuild) before trying to move them. Did TM actually have discussions with Miller about the possibility of him being willing to stay? How about Ott? Or has his view since he was brought on been that everyone, especially those with expiring contracts are trade chips that will be moved

Adam, a man famous for his credibility, said, "Ben said the sky is green."

Adam's statement does not make Ben's statement any more or less likely to be true.

Anyway. Clemmensen on waivers now. Is he decent enough to be the Sabres' backup?

But would Adam be willing to put his credibility on the line by agreeing with what Ben said?

Clemmensen is too old and not really an upgrade over what they currently have in Rochester, like Dubnyk, I would pass

When you ask for, and get, a new, aggressive GM, this is part of the deal.

All new and aggressive GMs gut their franchises of all its current talent for Lotto Tickets and potential future talent?

I want my GM to be aggressive and willing to make moves, and I have no problem with him dealing away talent, but I want them to do it while trying to improve the current roster while keeping an eye on the future.

Clemmensen is too old and not really an upgrade over what they currently have in Rochester, like Dubnyk, I would pass

But, if they want to keep "what they currently have in Rochester" in Rochester to let the Amerks continue their push for a Calder Cup, then is he good enough to fill the opening?

Edited by carpandean

After seeing the comment from Moulson about no negotiations being had between him and the Sabres, I really wonder how true any of the talk was about the Sabres attempting to re-sign any of their players (or getting an idea where they stand with a rebuild) before trying to move them. Did TM actually have discussions with Miller about the possibility of him being willing to stay? How about Ott? Or has his view since he was brought on been that everyone, especially those with expiring contracts are trade chips that will be moved

It has been widely reported, and acknowledged by Miller, that he did have discussions with the team. Apparently no formal contract was offered, just trying to gauge his interest in committing to stay. Miller was also public about his lack of certainty in wanting to stay. I suspect if he had expressed a strong preference for resigning now, that would probably have happened, but Miller was not interested. It is less clear on Ott.

There is nothing preventing the Sabres from making offers to Moulson and Ott come July 1, if they want to resign either, and nothing preventing them from agreeing to come back if that is what they want. Cashing in the chips now is the right thing to do for the team, IMO.

I'm wondering if they had any talks with any of the unrestricted free agents. To me I'm sure some of this might have led to LaFontaine wanting to resign. You want players to come here but you offer no contracts to the one's that are already here. Makes no sense.

All new and aggressive GMs gut their franchises of all its current talent for Lotto Tickets and potential future talent?

I want my GM to be aggressive and willing to make moves, and I have no problem with him dealing away talent, but I want them to do it while trying to improve the current roster while keeping an eye on the future.

Well, then, go hire yourself a GM. This team and this GM have a different idea than a lot of people here, obviously.

Write emails, make signs, place phone calls. What are you going to do otherwise?

But would Adam be willing to put his credibility on the line by agreeing with what Ben said?

I think if the 2015 draft didn't have a future superstar player at the top in McDavid, then I would have expected Murray to follow a more typical rebuild and not a total teardown. IMO the 2015 draft is resulting in a much more aggressive tank strategy than normal.

I think if the 2015 draft didn't have a future superstar player at the top in McDavid, then I would have expected Murray to follow a more typical rebuild and not a total teardown. IMO the 2015 draft is resulting in a much more aggressive tank strategy than normal.

I think this is pretty much the reality we have to live with: except that, as discussed above, the hit rate for drafts makes it an incredibly risky strategy; or, it's unlikely to pan out as well as the front office hopes it will.

Edited by sizzlemeister

the last thing this franchise needs is undersized forwards. We tried that route plenty of times. It don't work.

Big and fast and young, with emphasis on BIG AND FAST is the way to win championships

Edited by ddaryl