GM Speculation

Eleven

Devine has impressed me over the years in a few ways on top of his passion for scouting.

He said when they drafted Myers that he isn't a Chara type and never will be. He understood his physical build is not an A. I point out the potential Marfan, but Devine at least could identify that this kid isn't going to be a bull.

He also identified Girgensons out of nowhere. He admitted he wasn't on his radar until a few months before the draft. That takes honesty....it could look like a reach, but he saw the qualities of a winner. He told of the blocking shots in a 10-2 game, or whatever the score. That impressed me, and Girgensons impressed me with not only his attitude, but his "man body" at the time which Teddy Nolan re-affirmed today.

There is a spot for Devine here if it is up to me. I'm just not sure how close he was to Darcy and how much he just wants to be Sabres family. My ideal world has LaFontaine overseeing things, Dudley as the main pro guy, Botterill as a researcher and workhorse, and Devine running the scouts.

P.S. I downgraded my browser so it doesn't autocorrect LaFontaine to Lafontaine! My spelling is doomed though....

Devine has impressed me over the years in a few ways on top of his passion for scouting.

He said when they drafted Myers that he isn't a Chara type and never will be. He understood his physical build is not an A. I point out the potential Marfan, but Devine at least could identify that this kid isn't going to be a bull.

He also identified Girgensons out of nowhere. He admitted he wasn't on his radar until a few months before the draft. That takes honesty....it could look like a reach, but he saw the qualities of a winner. He told of the blocking shots in a 10-2 game, or whatever the score. That impressed me, and Girgensons impressed me with not only his attitude, but his "man body" at the time which Teddy Nolan re-affirmed today.

There is a spot for Devine here if it is up to me. I'm just not sure how close he was to Darcy and how much he just wants to be Sabres family. My ideal world has LaFontaine overseeing things, Dudley as the main pro guy, Botterill as a researcher and workhorse, and Devine running the scouts.

P.S. I downgraded my browser so it doesn't autocorrect LaFontaine to Lafontaine! My spelling is doomed though....

Girgensons was drafted right about where he was projected to be. And is still young.

Girgensons was drafted right about where he was projected to be. And is still young.

I would have to see a link to this. I remember Buffalo getting laughed at for trading up and then taking him. Actually, I stand corrected by someone I trust who tells me he was in the 20 to 25 range so it wasn't much of a reach but I still believe a solid pick that will look nice on his resume.

I would have to see a link to this. I remember Buffalo getting laughed at for trading up and then taking him. Actually, I stand corrected by someone I trust who tells me he was in the 20 to 25 range so it wasn't much of a reach but I still believe a solid pick that will look nice on his resume.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/allan_muir/06/14/nhl.mock.draft/ Has us taking Zemgus at 12.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/73167/hockeys-future-2012-staff-mock-draft/ Has him being in consideration at 11, taken by Dallas at 13.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=74608 Has him at 9.

He was ranked between 11-15 for the most part.

The only really bad one was 2005. Show me another terrible pick.

It's also worth pointing out that the draft class of 2008 is the same age right now that Pominville was when he became a full-time NHL player. We talk about Myers and Ennis like they're has-beens and we pretend Adam doesn't exist.

Also, Zagrapan was a miss but there weren't any real studs in the rest of that first round. Maybe T.J. Oshie? Either way, it's not like we took Zagrapan and passed on someone amazing.

The Sabres have had one top ten pick since 2003. It was Risto this past summer. When you consider that, their drafting has been pretty good.

http://sportsillustr...nhl.mock.draft/ Has us taking Zemgus at 12.

http://www.hockeysfu...aff-mock-draft/ Has him being in consideration at 11, taken by Dallas at 13.

http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=74608 Has him at 9.

He was ranked between 11-15 for the most part.

Check out the rankings in January.

He was pretty much the Aaron Maybin of the draft, for different reasons.

I was pointing out Devine's honesty in admitting he had no clue who the guy was until World Juniors. A lesser man would have claimed he was all over it, and taking a guy in that slot, you wouldn't have known the difference.

I did edit my post to reflect such.

Well you said 20-25 haha. That's 10 picks later than he was actually projected.

Has the discussion of how we landed Tyler Myers in the trade with LA been talked about on here? Man is that story a fun one. I just wasn't on the boards when it happened.

I'd be all for a Dudley/Botterill tandem. Something along those lines would seem to make the most sense...

Side note...Has anyone heard a peep from Darcy since this all went down? Not that I really care to hear him, but it would be interesting to see who he throws under the bus!!

It's already been said on here before, but to reiterate the obvious truth: there's zero reason for Botterill to make a lateral move here and work underneath Dudley.

And he hasn't responded to requests for comment.

I'd be all for a Dudley/Botterill tandem. Something along those lines would seem to make the most sense...

Side note...Has anyone heard a peep from Darcy since this all went down? Not that I really care to hear him, but it would be interesting to see who he throws under the bus!!

No matter how much we wanted Darcy out of here, I think most of us can agree it is not in his nature to throw anyone under the bus publicly.

No matter how much we wanted Darcy out of here, I think most of us can agree it is not in his nature to throw anyone under the bus publicly.

That is true, but this had to come from further out in left field to him than it did to everyone else. I'm sure he hasn't commented yet because he's been on a bender!! But more importantly, it feels so refreshing to know we are finally in good hands. Anyone at GM at this point would be an improvement (except for Schoenfeld)

True, although I am surprised he hasn't said anything. I expected a simple thank you to Pegula for the opportunity and statement of how much he enjoyed his time in WNY. I'm not mad he hasn't, just surprised.

True, although I am surprised he hasn't said anything. I expected a simple thank you to Pegula for the opportunity and statement of how much he enjoyed his time in WNY. I'm not mad he hasn't, just surprised.

I would expect that, like RR, he feels betrayed. I think there was an understanding that the team was going to stink this year and get the top pick, and things were going according to plan, and then TP pulled the plug (rightfully IMHO).

I would expect that, like RR, he feels betrayed. I think there was an understanding that the team was going to stink this year and get the top pick, and things were going according to plan, and then TP pulled the plug (rightfully IMHO).

I don't think so. Prior to the season, he said he was looking forward to this season, and despite everyone projecting them to finish near or at the bottom, he felt those projections were due to the age of the team and that they were going to shock some people. Mid-way through the season, Darcy went to the locker room and gave the team a speech, which he has never done so in the past, and just recently he was quoted saying that nobody in the front office expected the team to do so poorly. Sure he twisted it off saying he still felt we were on the right path. As Nolan said, "rebuilding is important, but, how you rebuild is very important" and i think Darcy thought the same thing and knew this thing got derailed.

If anything, he probably feels betrayed by the city of Buffalo as he turned into the most hated man in town.

I don't think so. Prior to the season, he said he was looking forward to this season, and despite everyone projecting them to finish near or at the bottom, he felt those projections were due to the age of the team and that they were going to shock some people. Mid-way through the season, Darcy went to the locker room and gave the team a speech, which he has never done so in the past, and just recently he was quoted saying that nobody in the front office expected the team to do so poorly. Sure he twisted it off saying he still felt we were on the right path. As Nolan said, "rebuilding is important, but, how you rebuild is very important" and i think Darcy thought the same thing and knew this thing got derailed.

If anything, he probably feels betrayed by the city of Buffalo as he turned into the most hated man in town.

If he truly felt that this team was good enough to surprise some people then his biggest mistake was hiring RR. I still believe he kept Rolston because this gave us the best chance at the #1 pick. A veteran coach would have done what Nolan is doing right now which is politicking to have some youngsters sent where they belong and have more veterans or experience brought in. DR didn't want a veteran coach upsetting his apple cart ?

I have a couple buddies who seem convinced that we could go the entire season without hiring a gm. I mean anything's possible, but in such a crucial year as this, I can't see that happening, not to mention I can't recall a season where a franchise has done so.

So I'm throwing it to the wolves; predictions on when we hire/who we hire? Is Patty quick and decisive, already knowing and getting who he wants? or does he hit some road blocks, have some re-thinking, and let things float for a bit?

I'm guessing Regier had a few choice words for the News reporters and didn't want to give them anything. Not like they said too many good things about him lately

Some Good thoughts on LaFontaine and the Sabres' GM Search: Elliotte Friedman: 30 Thoughts

9. Asked about the struggles of Sabres defenceman Tyler Myers, Pat LaFontaine brought up how the New York Islanders gave up on Zdeno Chara too early. "The thing that encourages me is that [Myers has] already proven what he can do. We need to create the environment so that he has everything he needs to go back where he was ... If it's something where we've tried everything to give him that environment [yet fails], then maybe a change is what is needed." That said, Lafontaine stressed Myers will be given time under the new regime.

10. More Buffalo stuff. LaFontaine will officially begin his GM search this week, though he said the Sabres will not avoid making moves before a new hire if another team approaches him with a legit proposal for, say, Ryan Miller. Assistant GM Kevin Devine remains and LaFontaine believes the rebuilding plan already in place gives them enough intel to get things done.

11. Lafontaine's decision is going to be interesting. Do not underestimate how good this job can be. In Terry Pegula, you have an owner willing to spend money on players and scouting, and smart enough to stay out of the way and let a manager work. All of the draft picks give the new GM a blank canvas to paint as he wishes. The one caveat for some candidates might be if LaFontaine sees himself as the eventual GM. And if so, when? That might be a better fit for Rick Dudley.

12. The four reported candidates - Jim Benning, Jason Botterill, Dudley and Paul Fenton - have excellent reputations for talent evaluation, drafting and development. All have been through lengthy building periods. The first three have Buffalo connections. Dudley's passion for the Sabres was unmatched when he played for, coached and managed them. Botterill worked with team president Ted Black and consultant Ken Sawyer in Pittsburgh. LaFontaine listened to several people who recommended Fenton because of his work as assistant GM with the Nashville Predators.

13. The big question to them might be, "How long do you think this rebuild needs to take?" Like former GM Darcy Regier, LaFontaine believes the next two drafts will be essential for Buffalo. But I'm not sure be thinks the timetable needs to be as lengthy as Regier did.

Some Good thoughts on LaFontaine and the Sabres' GM Search: Elliotte Friedman: 30 Thoughts

9. Asked about the struggles of Sabres defenceman Tyler Myers, Pat LaFontaine brought up how the New York Islanders gave up on Zdeno Chara too early. "The thing that encourages me is that [Myers has] already proven what he can do. We need to create the environment so that he has everything he needs to go back where he was ... If it's something where we've tried everything to give him that environment [yet fails], then maybe a change is what is needed." That said, Lafontaine stressed Myers will be given time under the new regime.

10. More Buffalo stuff. LaFontaine will officially begin his GM search this week, though he said the Sabres will not avoid making moves before a new hire if another team approaches him with a legit proposal for, say, Ryan Miller. Assistant GM Kevin Devine remains and LaFontaine believes the rebuilding plan already in place gives them enough intel to get things done.

11. Lafontaine's decision is going to be interesting. Do not underestimate how good this job can be. In Terry Pegula, you have an owner willing to spend money on players and scouting, and smart enough to stay out of the way and let a manager work. All of the draft picks give the new GM a blank canvas to paint as he wishes. The one caveat for some candidates might be if LaFontaine sees himself as the eventual GM. And if so, when? That might be a better fit for Rick Dudley.

12. The four reported candidates - Jim Benning, Jason Botterill, Dudley and Paul Fenton - have excellent reputations for talent evaluation, drafting and development. All have been through lengthy building periods. The first three have Buffalo connections. Dudley's passion for the Sabres was unmatched when he played for, coached and managed them. Botterill worked with team president Ted Black and consultant Ken Sawyer in Pittsburgh. LaFontaine listened to several people who recommended Fenton because of his work as assistant GM with the Nashville Predators.

13. The big question to them might be, "How long do you think this rebuild needs to take?" Like former GM Darcy Regier, LaFontaine believes the next two drafts will be essential for Buffalo. But I'm not sure be thinks the timetable needs to be as lengthy as Regier did.

That's a big "if." And if LaFontaine is telling that to interviewees then he might as well stop wasting his time and hire somebody old like Dudley. But I see no situation in which a young GM comes in and does very well and then gets booted by LaFontaine so he can take the gig.

Archived