GM Speculation

Eleven

I am trying to justify in my brain why Dudley is getting mentioned so often as well. Not diminishing the impact or his participation he may have had in the success in Tampa and Chicago. I am not sure that he was the one driving the decision making, however.

In my view, if this list is accurate, then here is my prefered rankings: 1.) Botterill, 2.) Benning, 3.) Fenton, 4.) Dudley. We can agree that there are other candidates not on this list. I would say two dark horse candidates would have to be Neil Smith and Brian Burke.

I thing it's deception and misinformation. See the bills with the chip kelly smokescreen.

Between the bits and pieces Patty has let out, no one fits the bill better than Botterill - up and comer, western NY connection, won a cup, knows the cap, active in the league right now, player evaluation skills.

I think the job is his to lose, but if he muffs this interview, Neil Smith might get serious consideration.

Between the bits and pieces Patty has let out, no one fits the bill better than Botterill - up and comer, western NY connection, won a cup, knows the cap, active in the league right now, player evaluation skills.

I think the job is his to lose, but if he muffs this interview, Neil Smith might get serious consideration.

I don't want Neil Smith anywhere near this job. He hasn't been in a front office since 2006 when he was with the Isles and LaFontaine for FORTY DAYS! Give me Loiselle, Brisebois, Botterill or Fenton.

I don't want Neil Smith anywhere near this job. He hasn't been in a front office since 2006 when he was with the Isles and LaFontaine for FORTY DAYS! Give me Loiselle, Brisebois, Botterill or Fenton.

I'll take botterill for sure but I still don't get the hard on for loiselle.

I'll take botterill for sure but I still don't get the hard on for loiselle.

I've broke down why I like Loiselle: he has the same cap experience and expertise as Botterill, and he was part of a rebuild that didn't involve Crosby and Malkin. The Pens won just ONE cup with them, which is an absolute disappointment so far. The Leafs are coming up strongly without anybody even in the same category as those guys.

Both guys have worked with aggressive GMs who aren't afraid to make things happen, so they're both positive candidates.

LaFontaine said his list is pretty short. Would be surprised if it's a guy we haven't heard about.

Exactly. When you hear a guy say that his list is short and then there are a few names that everybody is talking about then they've likely zeroed in on the list. Part of me has a feeling that it's going to end up being Fenton.

If you want a draft guy then it's Fenton. He got Suter, Weber, Klein and Sulzer ALL in the same draft. Got Rinne in round 8 (that doesn't exist anymore). Cody Franson in round 3, Patric Hornqvist in round 7. He managed the draft for them from 03-08 and all of those drafts saw him find impact players.

So draft goes to Fenton. Cap guy is Botterill or Loiselle with Botterill being more likely considering he has a cup there and has the Pittsburgh connection to Pegula. Benning is a guy that knows how to make a franchise into a gritty, pesky team that can beat you in any type of game. Dudley is the guy you want if you are really into the Buffalo connection and like goatees.

Exactly. When you hear a guy say that his list is short and then there are a few names that everybody is talking about then they've likely zeroed in on the list. Part of me has a feeling that it's going to end up being Fenton.

If you want a draft guy then it's Fenton. He got Suter, Weber, Klein and Sulzer ALL in the same draft. Got Rinne in round 8 (that doesn't exist anymore). Cody Franson in round 3, Patric Hornqvist in round 7. He managed the draft for them from 03-08 and all of those drafts saw him find impact players.

So draft goes to Fenton. Cap guy is Botterill or Loiselle with Botterill being more likely considering he has a cup there and has the Pittsburgh connection to Pegula. Benning is a guy that knows how to make a franchise into a gritty, pesky team that can beat you in any type of game. Dudley is the guy you want if you are really into the Buffalo connection and like goatees.

Fenton is my choice. The cap stuff can get sorted out by committee. If we're building then you want a draft guy.

Fenton is my choice. The cap stuff can get sorted out by committee. If we're building then you want a draft guy.

I don't disagree either. Of the names I've heard as legitimate candidates so far, I'd order them:

1. Loiselle

2. Fenton

3. Botterill

4. Brisebois

If what you say has some truth to it I'll take Benning. You've described the team I want.

If what you say has some truth to it I'll take Benning. You've described the team I want.

Well Benning has just been a part of a group that has done it. He hasn't been doing it himself. Guys like Fenton have experience leading a certain aspect of roster building.

Fenton was no doubt in control of the draft from 03-08. Botterill and Loiselle have been in control of contract negotiations and cap management. Benning hasn't really been said to have any defined roles other than "assistant."

Refresh my memory. When was the Benning era in Buffalo?

Following his playing career, he served an amateur scout for the Anaheim Ducks (1993–94) and then joined the Buffalo Sabres as a scout (1994–98) and as Director of Amateur Scouting (1998–2004).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Benning

If he was our Director of Amateur Scouting the year we took Artem Kruikov over Brooks Orpik (2000), I'm putting a big red flag on him. (Although we did make some really nice post-1st round picks in that era: Miller, Pominville, Roy, Gaustad, Sekera, Wideman, MacArthur.)

I think I like Paul Fenton. He's got 16 years of experience with Nashville and I like the idea of someone with no Buffalo connection.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Jim_Benning

If he was our Director of Amateur Scouting the year we took Artem Kruikov over Brooks Orpik (2000), I'm putting a big red flag on him. (Although we did make some really nice post-1st round picks in that era: Miller, Pominville, Roy, Gaustad, Sekera, Wideman, MacArthur.)

I think I like Paul Fenton. He's got 16 years of experience with Nashville and I like the idea of someone with no Buffalo connection.

Ouch. And Boston wasn't really built via the draft. That was a team built via trade. I'll pass on Benning too.

David Poille is likely to retired after the 2014-2015 season and if so, Paul Fenton is likely to succeed him. So it isn't clear that he is looking to head elsewhere.

That makes sense to me.

From the names we've heard, everything continues to point to Botterill.

That makes sense to me.

From the names we've heard, everything continues to point to Botterill.

Didn't I already say Botterill is the guy? Why are we still talking about this? LOL!

David Poille is likely to retired after the 2014-2015 season and if so, Paul Fenton is likely to succeed him. So it isn't clear that he is looking to head elsewhere.

Maybe. Guys don't like to wait around. Fenton might want to take the first change he gets. He might not want to wait, because that's two years away. Who knows what happens between now and then.

Archived