GM Speculation

Eleven

Per Dreger:

"Rick Dudley is the leading candidate to be the Sabres next GM. Jason Botterill, Paul Fenton and Claude Loiselle are options as well"

https://twitter.com/...434353944649728

LaFontaine said in his Presser today that he's looking for a GM candidate (paraphrase) who will do great things for the Buffalo Sabres for a "long time". At 64 years old, not sure that Duds is that guy.

LaFontaine said in his Presser today that he's looking for a GM candidate (paraphrase) who will do great things for the Buffalo Sabres for a "long time". At 64 years old, not sure that Duds is that guy.

That's my biggest question on Dudley too.

One scenario I am all over though is him being the Nix to Botterill's Whaley.

Not sure if either man would be interested in that though.

Why has Dudley changed job so many times?

He's clearly a smart hockey man, but that looks sketchy

The only scenario that I can see for Dudley that makes any sense to me is if he comes in as GM and is eventually succeeded by LaFontaine.

I'd much rather have Botterill than Loiselle. The Leafs are caught in the same mediocrity boat that we were floating in the last several years. They aren't exactly trending up or down IMHO.

The Pens wouldn't be anywhere without Crosby and Malkin, but they also only won one cup. What do you think the Leafs would be like if you added Crosby and Malkin to that roster?

Loiselle was part of a decision making group that actually had to make a call on a draft pick. Guys like Crosby require no decisions. Nobody was taking anybody but Crosby.

Basically, what I'm saying is that Loiselle will likely be looking at at least one first overall pick here that will either be Reinhart or McDavid. Reinhart doesn't compare to the no-brainer big names, but McDavid does. Add that type of talent to the rebuild he's been a part of in Toronto and you see what I think he could do here.

It's also a credit to that group in Toronto that they look like they're blossoming into a contender WITHOUT the big time talent.

the only red flag I see (potentially) is how to lure a top-flight GM who knows Patty has already expressed an interest in the role down the road;....i.e., lame duck) unless that top flight candidate was comfortable turning the keys over to Patty if/when he is ready

I don't see where people are getting this idea from. I watched the whole press conference, and all I heard was that Patty told Terry that he doesn't have the capabilities to be a GM. And why would he want a demotion in the future? He's the GM's boss. I don't think Patty will ever step into the GM role unless the GM hire fails and he feels like he's the right guy for the job. Patty will likely want to have a lot more input on moves in the future when he learns the job better, but I don't see him ever pulling rank.

My vote is for Peca. He has done an amazing job with the Jr Sabres.

How about Lindy Ruff back for GM. That would be interesting.

Neither of these ideas make any sense. I wouldn't mind seeing Peca brought in for some sort of special assistant/adviser role to groom him for a future role in the organization, but the JR Sabres are a LONGGGGGGGG way from NHL.

The Pens wouldn't be anywhere without Crosby and Malkin, but they also only won one cup. What do you think the Leafs would be like if you added Crosby and Malkin to that roster?

Loiselle was part of a decision making group that actually had to make a call on a draft pick. Guys like Crosby require no decisions. Nobody was taking anybody but Crosby.

Basically, what I'm saying is that Loiselle will likely be looking at at least one first overall pick here that will either be Reinhart or McDavid. Reinhart doesn't compare to the no-brainer big names, but McDavid does. Add that type of talent to the rebuild he's been a part of in Toronto and you see what I think he could do here.

It's also a credit to that group in Toronto that they look like they're blossoming into a contender WITHOUT the big time talent.

Loiselle is also part of a mangement team which abhors analytics, decided that Tyler Bozak was a better investment than keeping Grabovski, and decided to pay a 3rd liner (Clarkson) over $5MM per year. And I'll believe one of the worst possession teams in the league is blossoming into a contender when they actually do, and not a moment before.

Loiselle is also part of a mangement team which abhors analytics, decided that Tyler Bozak was a better investment than keeping Grabovski, and decided to pay a 3rd liner (Clarkson) over $5MM per year. And I'll believe one of the worst possession teams in the league is blossoming into a contender when they actually do, and not a moment before.

Grabovski was terrible for them. Sometimes it's the situation. He's gotten a good opportunity there and is taking advantage of it. That's nothing against the Leafs.

Our captain is a third liner, for the record.

Botterill was part of the management team that just signed what was designated as the worst contract of the offseason for Scuderi.

Grabovski was terrible for them. Sometimes it's the situation. He's gotten a good opportunity there and is taking advantage of it. That's nothing against the Leafs.

Our captain is a third liner, for the record.

Botterill was part of the management team that just signed what was designated as the worst contract of the offseason for Scuderi.

Grabovski was terrible for them because they used him as a lockdown center without any offensive ability. That'll tend to hurt the offense a bit. They chose to pay the wrong guy--Bozak is bleh. Our captain is a 3rd liner, who gets paid as such. Your point is?

Dudley has old man strength

yes it is a bit disturbing that he has a completely different job every year

What HNIC had to say on the Sabres' GM search :

Healy: 4 names he expects to be interviewed: Boterill, Dudley, Benning, Fenton. Doesnt think Duds will take the job because hes more of a "take the keys and drive" scouting type then a GM anymore.

Elliotte Freidman agreed with the list, but added that someone close to Dudley has told him he does NOT want to be a GM again, UNLESS its in Buffalo. He also said to expect a dark-horse candidate (as Lafontaine mentioned in the interview that aired tonight as well on CBC) to be on the list, but said he doesnt see Colin Campbell or super agent Don Meehan to be involved.

Hotstove: Sabres continue to narrow GM search (VIDEO):

In the latest segment of Hotstove Tonight on Hockey Night in Canada Saturday, the panel discussed the candidates for the Buffalo Sabres general manager position.

Commentator Glenn Healy says Sabres president of hockey operations Pat LaFontaine has a list that includes four asistant GMs. Boston Bruins' Jim Benning, Montreal Canadiens' Rick Dudley, Nashville Predators' Paul Fenton, and Pittsburgh Penguins' Jason Botterill.

I really hope it's Dudley. He's built SC teams before, quickly. He's ruthless and beholden to no one. He'll shake things up fast while still building for the future. I just hope he works the GM phones with a headband on. (Am I showing my age here?)

Hotstove: Sabres continue to narrow GM search (VIDEO):

In the latest segment of Hotstove Tonight on Hockey Night in Canada Saturday, the panel discussed the candidates for the Buffalo Sabres general manager position.

Commentator Glenn Healy says Sabres president of hockey operations Pat LaFontaine has a list that includes four asistant GMs. Boston Bruins' Jim Benning, Montreal Canadiens' Rick Dudley, Nashville Predators' Paul Fenton, and Pittsburgh Penguins' Jason Botterill.

Thanks for sharing

What HNIC had to say on the Sabres' GM search :

Healy: 4 names he expects to be interviewed: Boterill, Dudley, Benning, Fenton. Doesnt think Duds will take the job because hes more of a "take the keys and drive" scouting type then a GM anymore.

Elliotte Freidman agreed with the list, but added that someone close to Dudley has told him he does NOT want to be a GM again, UNLESS its in Buffalo. He also said to expect a dark-horse candidate (as Lafontaine mentioned in the interview that aired tonight as well on CBC) to be on the list, but said he doesnt see Colin Campbell or super agent Don Meehan to be involved.

I like Fenton, but didn't LaFontaine say (i think on WGR) that the next GM will be a guy who has won a Stanley Cup? I don't think Fenton has.

I really REALLY think Dudley is overrated. Badly. He's never actually own a cup. The Lightning won two years after he left. They were still pretty bad when he left. He obviously deserves SOME credit for the championship team, but let's not give him too much credit. That's pretty much the only big plus of his long career that has seen him fired after a few years over and over.

He is also an extremely terrible drafter. The highest points out of all 29 draft picks he made in Tampa Bay were 49. For a career. That alone should eliminate him from all consideration.

Can somebody tell me what makes Dudley (who should be appropriately nicknamed "dud") appealing? At all? Other than he coached here.

I like Fenton, but didn't LaFontaine say (i think on WGR) that the next GM will be a guy who has won a Stanley Cup? I don't think Fenton has.

He said that one of the candidates has won one.

I am trying to justify in my brain why Dudley is getting mentioned so often as well. Not diminishing the impact or his participation he may have had in the success in Tampa and Chicago. I am not sure that he was the one driving the decision making, however.

In my view, if this list is accurate, then here is my prefered rankings: 1.) Botterill, 2.) Benning, 3.) Fenton, 4.) Dudley. We can agree that there are other candidates not on this list. I would say two dark horse candidates would have to be Neil Smith and Brian Burke.

Archived