GM Speculation

Eleven

Honestly Botterill is my front runner simply because he is young, smart, and has 5 years as an assistant GM. Seems though some of the other candidates are strong ones as well. I don't want another yes man I will say that but I don't want Milbury 2.0 either.

I have no reason to believe that he could do a good job but for some reason, I can't get Messier off the brain. Something about having Messier and LaFontaine steering this ship makes me think there is no way they could fail.

I have a mental picture of them high-fiving at the draft and it's hilarious.

I have no reason to believe that he could do a good job but for some reason, I can't get Messier off the brain. Something about having Messier and LaFontaine steering this ship makes me think there is no way they could fail.

I think you need a "leadership/charisma/big picture" guy and a "nuts and bolts/player personnel/trade market/salary cap" guy. Lafontaine and Messier both seem like they fit into the former category, and neither into the latter.

I think you need a "leadership/charisma/big picture" guy and a "nuts and bolts/player personnel/trade market/salary cap" guy. Lafontaine and Messier both seem like they fit into the former category, and neither into the latter.

Agreed, you don't need two of them... So what do you think about a Shanny... is he a nuts and bolts guy... I think he is more a compliant guy with whatever they tell him to do... So I don't think he would fit either.

Agreed, you don't need two of them... So what do you think about a Shanny... is he a nuts and bolts guy... I think he is more a compliant guy with whatever they tell him to do... So I don't think he would fit either.

Shanny doesn't seem like a nuts-and-bolts guy either. I think the right call is a Botteril or Dudley or someone else from outside the Sabres' organization who has been doing GM/Assistant GM work for a number of years.

Now, I wouldn't mind having a Shanny or Messier as an assistant GM if that guy would want to learn the ropes on a nuts and bolts (holy mixed metaphor) role. The more greatness in the organization, the better.

I think Messier would be a disaster, but I've got a different perspective than most being on the West Coast and watching the arrogant, divisive, selfish way he conducted himself in Vancouver.

Ask yourself, given the man's legendary leadership skills, why hasn't he been offered a job like this already?

I think Messier would be a disaster, but I've got a different perspective than most being on the West Coast and watching the arrogant, divisive, selfish way he conducted himself in Vancouver.

Ask yourself, given the man's legendary leadership skills, why hasn't he been offered a job like this already?

I thought he turned down the Rangers for some position, maybe I'm wrong

I wouldn't have a problem with Botterill as I'm generally in favor of aiming high, even if the floor is low. I do wonder how much he has done with player personnel though, because from what I've read he's the Pens' cap/contract guy.

Do you know what that entails? Being the cap/contract guy means that you are required to understand the value of every talent asset in the organization from Junior through the show. Further your job is the know this for every other team in the league as well. Knowing the relative value of your assets and maximizing the production of those assets (picks, players, good contracts) and mitigating the downside of liabilities (bad contracts, no picks) in relation to a minimum and maximum spending ban is the NEW NHL. It is what needs to be Generally Managed, hence the job title. Assembling rosters must be done within this framework. Talent evaluation and development are a part, for sure, but only one aspect. Assemble an adequate top 6, top 3/4 D and goaltender and you are a playoff team. Maximize those in relation the rest of the competition and you are a cup contender. Do it Consistently and you are Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston San Jose, or Anaheim. Do it Sporadically and you are Vancouver, Ottawa Philly or the Leafs. There are few hidden gems in the information age and building a flexible human capital management structure is the new reality. I would take, Botterill, Will or Brisebough in a heart beat. Than again I could be mistaken. ...nevermind.

Or do they go established (Dudley) and a Ass. GM like Shanahan or Peca? This way you give Patty the option to assume the GM role in a few years or if he is comfortable in his current role you then turn it over to the Ass. GM. Hiring a young guy like Botteril pretty much takes Patty out of any GM role in the future. Unless of course he fails miserably and gets canned. That is the last thing we want to happen.

So I guess a lot of this comes down to what Pat sees himself doing in a few years.

Archived