GM Speculation

Eleven

How fast do you think we find out who is being interviewed when?

LaFontaine said he plans on traveling to cities starting tomorrow. He said he has a short list, so I have a feeling he'll be out all week interviewing everybody on the short list before making a decision.

Mondays are a day off for most of the NHL, so I definitely think he'll get one in tomorrow for sure. At least.

Thursday might be a good day to go to Toronto because he could meet both Fenton and Loiselle there as the Preds are in Toronto. If Fenton travels with the team.

Will LaFontaine be alone in the interview process? It'd be telling if he does because then it'd show that it's HIS decision and that Devine isn't safe when the new guy is brought in.

I am amazed how so many think the GM must be either a cap guy or draft guy. A GM is both, plus trade guy, player development guy, cut guy, hiring manager for trainers equipment managers skating instructors and wait for it coaches. The GM in the new cap era must build a club within the constraints of the cap. This means they must be thinking years ahead. The draft is largely delegated and usually with the early rounds is a foregone conclusion before the first pick. The majic is in using a stocked farm to make timely deals to stay in the upper echelon. Get into cap hell and you end up like the flyers.

How fast do you think we find out who is being interviewed when?

LaFontaine said he plans on traveling to cities starting tomorrow. He said he has a short list, so I have a feeling he'll be out all week interviewing everybody on the short list before making a decision.

Mondays are a day off for most of the NHL, so I definitely think he'll get one in tomorrow for sure. At least.

Thursday might be a good day to go to Toronto because he could meet both Fenton and Loiselle there as the Preds are in Toronto. If Fenton travels with the team.

Will LaFontaine be alone in the interview process? It'd be telling if he does because then it'd show that it's HIS decision and that Devine isn't safe when the new guy is brought in.

I hope no one is safe. Including Nolan. Nobody can justify their value based on the results of the last decade.

I am amazed how so many think the GM must be either a cap guy or draft guy. A GM is both, plus trade guy, player development guy, cut guy, hiring manager for trainers equipment managers skating instructors and wait for it coaches. The GM in the new cap era must build a club within the constraints of the cap. This means they must be thinking years ahead. The draft is largely delegated and usually with the early rounds is a foregone conclusion before the first pick. The majic is in using a stocked farm to make timely deals to stay in the upper echelon. Get into cap hell and you end up like the flyers.

The GM certainly has more than one role, but candidates make their mark by being VERY good at one thing. But the GM doesn't hire things like equipment managers. There are a lot more layers in a front office in hockey. The assistant GM will generally be a guy who takes focus of one major aspect away from the regular GM. The goal is to find a guy who has been great at something and then been around good people long enough to pick up the ability to do the rest.

I hope no one is safe. Including Nolan. Nobody can justify their value based on the results of the last decade.

It's already been said a hundred times that Nolan is only as safe as the new GM wants him to be.

Nobody has said this.

I don't disagree either. Of the names I've heard as legitimate candidates so far, I'd order them:

1. Loiselle

2. Fenton

3. Botterill

4. Brisebois

1. Loiselle

An interesting name for sure. Working with Burke doesn't exactly hurt his stock given the state of the Sabres.

2. Fenton

Not fond of what Nashville has done, boring defensive hockey. Buffalo, been there, done that. I'll take a pass on him as GM.

3. Botterill

I think he's a very smart guy, young and full of vision. But can he complete the process? This isn't the Crosby Sabres he'd be coming into it.

4. Brisebois

No, just No.

5. Dudley

Most experienced of this list. You notice how Winnipeg is a bit difficult to play against. Or how about how Toronto is an up and comer, yes I realize he didn't do that singularly, but he had significant roles in both. He'll have and impact with the Canadians as well I would suspect.

1. Loiselle

An interesting name for sure. Working with Burke doesn't exactly hurt his stock given the state of the Sabres.

2. Fenton

Not fond of what Nashville has done, boring defensive hockey. Buffalo, been there, done that. I'll take a pass on him as GM.

3. Botterill

I think he's a very smart guy, young and full of vision. But can he complete the process? This isn't the Crosby Sabres he'd be coming into it.

4. Brisebois

No, just No.

5. Dudley

Most experienced of this list. You notice how Winnipeg is a bit difficult to play against. Or how about how Toronto is an up and comer, yes I realize he didn't do that singularly, but he had significant roles in both. He'll have and impact with the Canadians as well I would suspect.

Dudley is the most experienced, but I think what he's done with that experience is overrated. His teams draft terribly, he hasn't won a cup at any capacity (TB won a cup two years after he left) and he can't keep a job. Only reason to bring him in is to teach Patty how to be the GM himself.

Exactly. When you hear a guy say that his list is short and then there are a few names that everybody is talking about then they've likely zeroed in on the list. Part of me has a feeling that it's going to end up being Fenton.

If you want a draft guy then it's Fenton. He got Suter, Weber, Klein and Sulzer ALL in the same draft. Got Rinne in round 8 (that doesn't exist anymore). Cody Franson in round 3, Patric Hornqvist in round 7. He managed the draft for them from 03-08 and all of those drafts saw him find impact players.

So draft goes to Fenton. Cap guy is Botterill or Loiselle with Botterill being more likely considering he has a cup there and has the Pittsburgh connection to Pegula. Benning is a guy that knows how to make a franchise into a gritty, pesky team that can beat you in any type of game. Dudley is the guy you want if you are really into the Buffalo connection and like goatees.

I may be in the minority and seeing some of the negativity about Devine, I wouldn't want the GM to fire him and I dont think we need a draft guy. When did Devine become head of scouting? I looks like 2007/2008 or so and it sounds like he was behind getting Myers. Now I know you will bring up Karlsson and I think that was a miss but look at some of the defenders taking around Myers that never played a game. We did get a good player who looks to maybe have turned the corner finally. I think Devine can be an Assistant GM in charge of the draft and work well with the new GM

Devine was instrumental this season in getting Zadorov. I also think Devine was key in the Girgensons acquisition. This guy seems to have a good feel for the draft. Since 2008 we have gotten several good players who actually make an impact on the team in positive ways. Lets just look at the players we think will pan out: 2008 - Myers, Ennis, Luke Adam (he could still pan out). 2009 - Kassian, McNabb, Foligno. 2010 - Pysk (not a lot of quality out in the 2010 draft so far). 2011- Armia, Catenacci. 2012 - Grigs, Girgs, McCabe, Ullmark. and then of course this past seasons haul. Looking back at it now and maybe colored by not wanting to give Darcy credit the drafting of the Sabres improved in 08 to present. I think we have a guy who is very smart and can run a draft, not sure you need that in a new GM.

Patty still hasn't called. I'm getting worried. 867-5309...

Patty you've got my number

I want to make you mine

Patty I won't change my number

867-5309

I know what's gonna happen alright.

Wait for it, Patty will just promote Devine from Ass GM to GM .........

:ph34r:

lol, I don't think that is going to happen at all. Devine is the draft guy.

One last thing, I don't want Benning. He was already here. I want fresh eyes on talent not a 2006 retread from the Bruins.

The GM certainly has more than one role, but candidates make their mark by being VERY good at one thing. But the GM doesn't hire things like equipment managers. There are a lot more layers in a front office in hockey. The assistant GM will generally be a guy who takes focus of one major aspect away from the regular GM. The goal is to find a guy who has been great at something and then been around good people long enough to pick up the ability to do the rest.

What is this based on?

I would guess that in most cases the Assistant GM -- if he is the #2 behind the GM -- is involved in every aspect of GM'ing. I would also expect that this would vary from one organization to another.

What is this based on?

I would guess that in most cases the Assistant GM -- if he is the #2 behind the GM -- is involved in every aspect of GM'ing. I would also expect that this would vary from one organization to another.

As Pat Lafontaine himself said, there is no "right" way to build a successful organization. There is always the "flavor of the month" or new trend but in the end its alot about hard work and, whether they admit it or not, alot of luck. In fact, the most important thing may be the ability to admit when you made a mistake and move swiftly to correct it. We are now in a position that we have to trust Patty and expect that he will do his due diligence and find the people he wants to surround himself with(I'm guessing someone off the radar) and hope that some non-first round pick turns into Patrice Bergeron or Pavel Datsyuk.

What is this based on?

He's obviously involved in everything, but many assistants have a major role and then assist in everything else. Many organizations have a GM that focuses on contracts or the draft or scouting, etc. but they'll always be involved in assisting everything.

Promotion or not, I'd like to see Kevin Devine around for a few more years.

I think Devine is plenty to blame for the issues. And I don't want to keep him around if that's going to be stepping on the new GMs toes. He'll probably want his own guy.

I think Devine is plenty to blame for the issues. And I don't want to keep him around if that's going to be stepping on the new GMs toes. He'll probably want his own guy.

Devine just got promoted to assistant GM last year. Prior to that he was the Director of amateur scouting and before that he was the Quebec region scout. As a scout, you suggest players and give the appropriate people a profile. One of the players Devine was very high on who we picked and turned bust was Marek Zagrapan. But he has hit homeruns on many.

Not saying i want Devine as a GM, but i do want him with this club. He knows scouting well, and with the # of picks we have next few drafts, we could use every draft guru we can.

Devine just got promoted to assistant GM last year. Prior to that he was the Director of amateur scouting and before that he was the Quebec region scout. As a scout, you suggest players and give the appropriate people a profile. One of the players Devine was very high on who we picked and turned bust was Marek Zagrapan. But he has hit homeruns on many.

Not saying i want Devine as a GM, but i do want him with this club. He knows scouting well, and with the # of picks we have next few drafts, we could use every draft guru we can.

Where are his homeruns?

Again what issues are Kevin Devine to blame for. We need to answer the 1st question before we discuss the 2nd one.

Unless you think DR was an autocratic monster, as well as a yes-man, i would say a lot. The guy was second in command - the only way he is not to blame is if he had lots of ideas that were shouted down by DR

Unless you think DR was an autocratic monster, as well as a yes-man, i would say a lot. The guy was second in command - the only way he is not to blame is if he had lots of ideas that were shouted down by DR

He was second in command for a year, I'm not sure how much he can be responsible for with respect to the active roster. If you want to tee off on drafting/prospects, then you might have a leg to stand on, but holding him accountable for the results produced by the current team is a hard sell.

Well, this is pretty generous. If the Sabres had "many" home runs on their roster, they wouldn't be as bad as they are.

Again what issues are Kevin Devine to blame for. We need to answer the 1st question before we discuss the 2nd one.

He was second in command for a year, I'm not sure how much he can be responsible for with respect to the active roster. If you want to tee off on drafting/prospects, then you might have a leg to stand on, but holding him accountable for the results produced by the current team is a hard sell.

I'm open to Devine returning, but I kinda think the right view on ALL of DR's guys is "guilty until proven innocent." I'm not particularly impressed with the Sabres' talent level, which indicates less-than-stellar performance by Devine. More broadly, the overall product that DR and his group delivered was terrible. As the 2nd-in-command (and before that still a senior guy), Devine bears some accountability.

If the new GM wants to keep him? Fine. But I sure as heck don't see a compelling reason to do so.

I think Devine likely stays through this years draft, as he and the scouts have already been working towards it. Then the new GM decides after the draft, similar to what they're doing with Nolan.

The draft.

Based on your logic, it's okay if he hasn't done any good as long as he hasn't done any harm. That's not how management works. You have to have a positive impact.

I am going to withhold my Devine argument until someone can write their argument as to why Devine is to blame for what issues.

The talent level of the team is poor, he's been working as a key member of a front office that put this group together. Plus, the new GM is entitled to surround himself with his own guys.

I think Devine likely stays through this years draft, as he and the scouts have already been working towards it. Then the new GM decides after the draft, similar to what they're doing with Nolan.

This sounds right, although I could see it going the other way, as there is still close to 75% of the season remaining.

Archived