GM Speculation

Eleven

Once upon a time Stan Bowman and Peter Chiarelli were unproven.

For me, it's a lot of stuff. With bringing back Nolan and LaFontaine, I'd prefer to go outside of the team's history. Also, I want a guy that will put together the roster and grow with it. He'll bring guys in and then build around them as he learns more of who they are. Also, Dudley has nothing to prove. If he fails, it's whatever. He's already been to the top.

Well put, both of you. This is definitely something I overlooked, and I think you're right. I want someone determined, someone pissed off and ready to make a team that really means something

Someone get Pat on the phone. We've decided we want Botterill.

Make sure I'm not a part of that phone call. I'd take Loiselle first. Just as respected a financials guy and was part of a rebuild that didn't include Crosby or Malkin (also didn't include a cup, but the Leafs are still trending up).

Why are people in favor of these younger candidates over Dudley? Genuine question, IMHOP I'd rather have the guy who's done it, twice, in our exact situation, than an unproven assistant gm

I'm scared off by Dudley's horrifying draft record with the Lightning, but even more so his inability to be able to hold onto a job for more than a year or so at a time. Given that track record, I assume he's probably a horrible coworker and a problem. Oh yeah, and the fact that Bucky is pushing for him.

Other important considerations for Botterill are the following:

In addition to managing the cap and handling contract negotiations, Botterill manages the Penguins' hockey operations department. He also runs AHL affiliate Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and assists on scouting.

I see it in the article where it says he runs the AHL affiliate, I just can't find it anywhere else. I know he's not the CEO in Wilkes Barre/Scranton. I'm wondering what position he holds or if this is a fact checking error by the author. Can anyone help me out?

What scares me is how young he is but he seems to handle a big worklosd as GM of Wilkes Barre and asst Gm in Pitt.

JASON BOTTERILL

Assistant General Manager

Jason Botterill is in his fifth full season as assistant general manager after being promoted to his current position in May, 2009, by GM Ray Shero.

As assistant GM, Botterill works closely with Shero on all hockey-related matters, including scouting, player development and contract negotiations. He also manages hockey operations and acts as GM for the club’s top minor-league affiliate, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=56243

What scares me is how young he is but he seems to handle a big worklosd as GM of Wilkes Barre and asst Gm in Pitt.

JASON BOTTERILL

Assistant General Manager

Jason Botterill is in his fifth full season as assistant general manager after being promoted to his current position in May, 2009, by GM Ray Shero.

As assistant GM, Botterill works closely with Shero on all hockey-related matters, including scouting, player development and contract negotiations. He also manages hockey operations and acts as GM for the club’s top minor-league affiliate, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League.

http://penguins.nhl....ge.htm?id=56243

In this age of sports executives, 37 years old is not all that uncommon as evidenced by successful GMs like Stan Bowman (age 40) and Theo Epstein (age 39) who both have won multiple championships.

I'd much rather have Botterill than Loiselle. The Leafs are caught in the same mediocrity boat that we were floating in the last several years. They aren't exactly trending up or down IMHO.

And the Leafs hate analytics. Of course, that won't exactly be a mark against Loiselle for many around here :lol:

I'd much rather have Botterill than Loiselle. The Leafs are caught in the same mediocrity boat that we were floating in the last several years. They aren't exactly trending up or down IMHO.

Me too. The Leafs are much, much better than they were when Burke took over, but they haven't won a playoff series in forever. I need to see a bit more before I want their assistant GM.

My vote is for Peca. He has done an amazing job with the Jr Sabres.

How about Lindy Ruff back for GM. That would be interesting.

Both no. Peca has done a good job coaching the Junior Sabres as a hockey team. That does not indicate he understands the talent currently in the NHL or has the ability to be a GM since he has 0 experience. It also indicates he does not know about the current state of prospects within the system or the upcoming draft. Both of these are vital to our new GM. We don't have the luxury of letting him learn as he goes. Ruff just left and he is part of the dark past we just emrged from, he has no Gm experience and although he knows much more about the talent in the league than Peca, the fact he was just fired by this team means he isn't even on the list.

I see it in the article where it says he runs the AHL affiliate, I just can't find it anywhere else. I know he's not the CEO in Wilkes Barre/Scranton. I'm wondering what position he holds or if this is a fact checking error by the author. Can anyone help me out?

Found it. The WBS Penguins site is hard to navigate on my phone. He "runs hockey operations" but Shero is still the official GM.

Both no. Peca has done a good job coaching the Junior Sabres as a hockey team. That does not indicate he understands the talent currently in the NHL or has the ability to be a GM since he has 0 experience. It also indicates he does not know about the current state of prospects within the system or the upcoming draft. Both of these are vital to our new GM. We don't have the luxury of letting him learn as he goes. Ruff just left and he is part of the dark past we just emrged from, he has no Gm experience and although he knows much more about the talent in the league than Peca, the fact he was just fired by this team means he isn't even on the list.

I could see Peca being offered an assistant GM job but I'm not sure he'd take it. Several teams have multiple Assistant GM's if Devine stays on as well.

Archived