GM Speculation

Eleven

I don't care if they have worked for the Sabres in the past. Far more importantly is have they ever led or been heavily involved with a rebuild like this in the past. As someone else offered up earlier, I'm thinking Dudley as asstant GM with Botteril as the GM with the understanding that Dudley leads and Botteril learns would be the best solution. LaFontain, Dudley, Botteril and hopefully Nolan right the ship in the next 3-4 years. Dudley steps aside and Botteril goes on.

It's funny how all these ex-Sabres retreads end up always resurfacing within the organization. And how Uncle Terry is their champion. As long as Pegula rules here we're going to have the same Bad Old Boy network so expect Dudley, Botterill, Benning or any other current executive who used to be with the organization in some capacity as the next GM.

I don't care if they have worked for the Sabres in the past. Far more importantly is have they ever led or been heavily involved with a rebuild like this in the past. As someone else offered up earlier, I'm thinking Dudley as asstant GM with Botteril as the GM with the understanding that Dudley leads and Botteril learns would be the best solution. LaFontain, Dudley, Botteril and hopefully Nolan right the ship in the next 3-4 years. Dudley steps aside and Botteril goes on.

Can't see that happening mid season like this, Isn't Dudley an assistant with the Canadians? Wouldn't it be a lateral move? I doubt the Canadians would let him leave for a lateral position to a division rival.

I don't understand the opposition to former Sabres being part of the organization. This happens all over the league, and it's done for good reason. Remember, at one point these guys all played for "TEAM". Bosses in the hockey world aren't the only ones who understand the importance of that in an employee. You see guys return to their old teams in management roles not because of fanboyism or that it's a nostalgia choice, but because these guys have history with those teams, and that history provides a sense of pride.

Look at the difference between a Lindy Ruff or Ted Nolan, and then a guy like Rolston. There's an obvious lack of pride there. Patty LaFontaine vs Darcy. I wonder who lacked pride there.

Guys come back to their old teams because they still want to work and play for the team. It's that fraternity that makes them good employees more often than not.

I don't understand the opposition to former Sabres being part of the organization. This happens all over the league, and it's done for good reason. Remember, at one point these guys all played for "TEAM". Bosses in the hockey world aren't the only ones who understand the importance of that in an employee. You see guys return to their old teams in management roles not because of fanboyism or that it's a nostalgia choice, but because these guys have history with those teams, and that history provides a sense of pride.

Look at the difference between a Lindy Ruff or Ted Nolan, and then a guy like Rolston. There's an obvious lack of pride there. Patty LaFontaine vs Darcy. I wonder who lacked pride there.

Guys come back to their old teams because they still want to work and play for the team. It's that fraternity that makes them good employees more often than not.

I think the issue that the Sabres fans here have with it is that it seems like thats all the Sabres have been doing and that they want fresh ideas and want to see someone from outside the organisation come in to bring something new.

I think the issue that the Sabres fans here have with it is that it seems like thats all the Sabres have been doing and that they want fresh ideas and want to see someone from outside the organisation come in to bring something new.

If that's true then I think it's misguided. All of the former Sabres being discussed have been away for quite some time, and exposed to other ideas and management philosophies.

To build on what TBpHD said, I don't think that's accurate at all. Sure there are scouts on the Sabres staff who were players here, but beyond Lindy Ruff and and some assistant coaches, the organization has been pretty void of former Sabres in key roles.

I think that speaks pretty loudly to how a lot of these guys felt about the direction of the team. They wanted to stay away. Now that the owner has changed and the cancerous GM is gone, maybe some more will find their way back.

@ian_mendes

David Poile tells @TSN1200 he reached out to the Buffalo Sabres to suggest Paul Fenton as their GM. He is waiting to hear back from them.

Paul Fenton Assistant General Manager: http://predators.nhl...ge.htm?id=36986

What a class act by Poile. Him and Darcy are very great friends though, so maybe he is trying to open up a position in Nashville to bring Darcy in? haha

I am not one of those who gets upset it's not a former Sabre or what not type person, but Fenton is a very interesting candidate. No connection to the Sabres or Buffalo and has worked in Nashville for the past 16 years. I am not sure what his role was throughout all of those 16 years in Nashville, and they did have bad luck losing players due to finance, but Nashville has 1 playoff series victory in those 16 years.

Poile is considered one of the best in the biz and if Fenton is too, it makes it hard for me to believe they had 2 guru's running the team and could only come up with 1 playoff win.

What a class act by Poile. Him and Darcy are very great friends though, so maybe he is trying to open up a position in Nashville to bring Darcy in? haha

I am not one of those who gets upset it's not a former Sabre or what not type person, but Fenton is a very interesting candidate. No connection to the Sabres or Buffalo and has worked in Nashville for the past 16 years. I am not sure what his role was throughout all of those 16 years in Nashville, and they did have bad luck losing players due to finance, but Nashville has 1 playoff series victory in those 16 years.

Poile is considered one of the best in the biz and if Fenton is too, it makes it hard for me to believe they had 2 guru's running the team and could only come up with 1 playoff win.

Maybe Darcy has a new job already? :)

@tsnjamesduthie

Major new hire announcement coming this afternoon from TSN.

I'll try to remember where I heard it first...in any event, if Bucky finally found a nut, good for him.

The national guys had Lala coming in but no word on Darcy or coach change. Bucky dropped Nolan and Darcy gone. That was crazy stuff. Everyone was speculating for close to an hour what might be happening and then it exploded.

Hours later, Ted was following the Buff News guys on Twitter. It's a lot easier talking to everyone when they agree with you I guess.

I think they honestly underestimated the lack of energy in that building under Darcy. I think Patty and Nolan have spoken more words and have constructed bolder statements in the past 2 weeks than we would hear over the course of a year.

On an ironic note, all the players and alumni and front office put together raffle baskets for last night. Darcy had one. His parting note was a basket of "How to Add and Subtract", a puzzle with 20 pieces, and some stuffed animals. I put $20 of tix in there trying to win that puppy! That was nice he had one though. I like Zadorov even more. For making rookie scratch, he brought the hammer with his. A lot of guys and their wives did. Good stuff. The Darcy basket was classic though.

PLF was interviewed by the Rochester Media at the Amerks Game tonight and mentioned he has probably added names to his GM List.

Kevin Oklobzija@kevinoDandC 5m

Pat LaFontaine also said he has "probably added some candidates" to his original list of potential GMs (read Paul Fenton?).

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 4m

Pat LaFontaine tells media at Amerks game that he has conducted at least one GM interview (no name) and has added candidates to his list.

PLF was interviewed by the Rochester Media at the Amerks Game tonight and mentioned he has probably added names to his GM List.

Pat LaFontaine also said he has "probably added some candidates" to his original list of potential GMs (read Paul Fenton?).

Pat LaFontaine tells media at Amerks game that he has conducted at least one GM interview (no name) and has added candidates to his list.

Jeez, he's only spoken to one guy so far? He self proclaimed the search to begin on Monday but he's been in power for over a week now. Guess theres no rush to hiring a new GM.

I'm staying on course with Botterill.

Interview Fenton though for sure. He's the guy jumping up and down saying pick me pick me.

Patty: Mr. Fenton can you tell me what role you had in giving up a 1st round pick for Paul Gaustad?

Fenton: Well I uh um never I never really um had the input um wasn't the final guy to make the decision.

Patty: OK let me ask you this. We're you on board with it?

Fenton Well I uh um never I never really um ah see we needed a faceoff guy and we're making a run. That's what they told me.

Patty OK Mr. Fenton and let me ask you about the extension you guys gave him.

Fenton: Well um I ah was never really um certain about the money involved um I think well see we made the deal and um it always looks best to keep a player you traded for at all costs pretty much you know. D D D don't you agree Mr. Lafountain.

Patty: Well I certainly see your point and understand why you had the success you did in Nashville. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to interview you for the job you and your boss told us you want and are ready for.

Patty leaves room closes door. Holy ######. What the ###### was up with that?

He said "at least one"...which in executive speak, almost certainly means more than one.

Meanwhile, Darcy is ready to take a front office job with Tampa and/or Team Canada......but his move is being held up because he is $1500 apart on the condo he wants to buy......

I think you get a GM announcement this week. I know nothing usually gets done Thanksgiving week, but I can see wanting to make a big to do with the Montreal and Toronto media in town this week. Kim Pegula needs to save a turkey leg for Duds.

Meanwhile, Darcy is ready to take a front office job with Tampa and/or Team Canada......but his move is being held up because he is $1500 apart on the condo he wants to buy......

I think you get a GM announcement this week. I know nothing usually gets done Thanksgiving week, but I can see wanting to make a big to do with the Montreal and Toronto media in town this week. Kim Pegula needs to save a turkey leg for Duds.

My feeling is he really has his sights set on a big fish but failing that he will hire either Benning or Botteril within the next couple days

I think they honestly underestimated the lack of energy in that building under Darcy. I think Patty and Nolan have spoken more words and have constructed bolder statements in the past 2 weeks than we would hear over the course of a year.

Talk is cheap. I see no difference in the on ice product. Buffalo gave up 39 SOGs last game. I would have at least expected a different style of play. It looks the same to me, the results are same to me. Nolan has been a non factor so far. All he has done is ship the kids out.

LaFontaine talks about the GM search in this interview:

http://youtu.be/d1iQHdG6znY

Talk is cheap. I see no difference in the on ice product. Buffalo gave up 39 SOGs last game. I would have at least expected a different style of play. It looks the same to me, the results are same to me. Nolan has been a non factor so far. All he has done is ship the kids out.

Did you hear the press conference after the game?

I don't disagree that 1-3 isn't inspiring, but it's tough to undo 7 years in 10 days.

I'm still waiting for the money line from Nolan of "Get this F'n Hodgson off my team!" **Shoutout to daddy Hodggers.....

Archived