GM Speculation

Eleven

Trudat. But it doesn't change the fact that it is where we are. I dont like working, but it makes eating possible.

1 to 2 years is a pipedream. Assuming the best, Reinhardt 2014 and McDavid in 2015, the best case is a possible 2016 run. What superstar will want to come to Buffalo until the youngsters show a glimmer of cup potential? See Oilers, Edmonton. The cap will make multiple big money moves like Parise/Suter a historical footnote. Any way you cut it this is a long process with the only chance of accelerating it being a block of kids maturing at the same time. And when I say contender, I mean legitimate threats to win the cup, not just make the playoffs.

Not sure about the rest, but the cap will rise at such a rate in the next couple of years that if players want to orchestrate it, multiple big money signings will be even easier.

Of course the cap approaching $80 million will allow most teams to retain the players they want to retain if the players are willing.

Not sure about the rest, but the cap will rise at such a rate in the next couple of years that if players want to orchestrate it, multiple big money signings will be even easier.

Of course the cap approaching $80 million will allow most teams to retain the players they want to retain if the players are willing.

The NFL thought the cap would soar as well. Time will tell.

There is not much debate the cap is going up dramatically for at least the next two years. You will not find a respected opinion that doesn't think it will approach $75 million in a couple years.

By the way, the NFL cap has been going up by a pretty healthy clip. Maybe not enough to help the Cowboys but that's more about their stupidity.

There is not much debate the cap is going up dramatically for at least the next two years. You will not find a respected opinion that doesn't think it will approach $75 million in a couple years.

By the way, the NFL cap has been going up by a pretty healthy clip. Maybe not enough to help the Cowboys but that's more about their stupidity.

No doubt it will go up, but it is designed (the new cba) to be prohibitive when it comes to backloaded deals. My point is if you buy fa's, you still have to pay a premium to get them to go to Buffalo. If you have invested in a stable of first round picks you have to pay them too. A balance will need to be struck, and that is not happening in 2 years.

and those were?lol

Erhoff, Leino Regher, and to a certain extent Vanek. Its not these were high priced superstars but that we paid a premium to get them to come to Buffalo. Nash, Richards, suter wouldn't come no matter what Pegula was willing to offer.

No doubt it will go up, but it is designed (the new cba) to be prohibitive when it comes to backloaded deals. My point is if you buy fa's, you still have to pay a premium to get them to go to Buffalo. If you have invested in a stable of first round picks you have to pay them too. A balance will need to be struck, and that is not happening in 2 years.

A) what you said is that multiple signings would be prohibited by the cap and that's simply but true

B) with the rookie salary cap, high picks won't get paid big money for at least three years, probably more

C) the Blackhawks are the latest team to prove you can work around the cap to build and keep your team together if you are proactive and talented.

I don't know if the right people can turn the Sabres into contenders in two years. While possible, it is unlikely but it has nothing to do with the new CBA or the salary cap.

A) what you said is that multiple signings would be prohibited by the cap and that's simply but true

B) with the rookie salary cap, high picks won't get paid big money for at least three years, probably more

C) the Blackhawks are the latest team to prove you can work around the cap to build and keep your team together if you are proactive and talented.

I don't know if the right people can turn the Sabres into contenders in two years. While possible, it is unlikely but it has nothing to do with the new CBA or the salary cap.

Multiple signings will be rare if you have to pay a premium above market value to attract players to a young unproven team with a less than stellar reputation . If the young talent exits their elc around the same time you have to pay market to retain it, and that value will rise as the cap increases. The hawks won the cup and had to jettison the guy who scored the series winning goal. When Kane, Toews Keith etc need new paper, that may alone use the cap space. The Hawks are now realigning to operate in the new cap era. That will not include a Hossa like signing which was the biggest factor in putting them over the top.

I said prohibitive, not prohibited.

Talk is cheap. I see no difference in the on ice product. Buffalo gave up 39 SOGs last game. I would have at least expected a different style of play. It looks the same to me, the results are same to me. Nolan has been a non factor so far. All he has done is ship the kids out.

I'm not a big fan of Nolan but no way you should expect a dramatic change so quickly. Plus, if you recall when Nolan was here before this team consistently gave up over 40 shots a game.

Multiple signings will be rare if you have to pay a premium above market value to attract players to a young unproven team with a less than stellar reputation . If the young talent exits their elc around the same time you have to pay market to retain it, and that value will rise as the cap increases. The hawks won the cup and had to jettison the guy who scored the series winning goal. When Kane, Toews Keith etc need new paper, that may alone use the cap space. The Hawks are now realigning to operate in the new cap era. That will not include a Hossa like signing which was the biggest factor in putting them over the top.

I said prohibitive, not prohibited.

Again, the cap will skyrocket in the next two years which is precisely why the Blackhawks gave Crawford the contract he got.

Bollard scored the winning goal but was a easily replaced role player.

I don't know where you get the idea that the new CBA is going to put teams in cap jail . The cap was artificially depressed the first year but is still tied to revenues which may approach. $4billon this year although more likely next year. We won't be talking about teams struggling to get below cap we will be talking about teams struggling to get to the cap floor.

Again, the cap will skyrocket in the next two years which is precisely why the Blackhawks gave Crawford the contract he got.

Bollard scored the winning goal but was a easily replaced role player.

I don't know where you get the idea that the new CBA is going to put teams in cap jail . The cap was artificially depressed the first year but is still tied to revenues which may approach. $4billon this year although more likely next year. We won't be talking about teams struggling to get below cap we will be talking about teams struggling to get to the cap floor.

I never said anything about cap jail. You are correct that year one is artificially depressed. But so are salaries. Whenever the cap rises so will all salaries. The price of star players as a % of the cap will remain relatively the same. For a short window teams will have resources until the "value" contracts expire. Give most clubs extra spending capacity and they use as judiciously as a drunken sailor on leave and hence we see Leino type contracts. Unfortunately that sets the market. You may be correct, we will be able to buy a few superstars and all will be sunshine and puppies. I think you will see the max contract effect of the NBA and little significant player movement unless you can match contracts. But I will defer to you as you seem to know the cba intimately. I am not being snarky, you seem to have studied this in depth.

Patience. Pricey free agent quick fixes are part of the reason we're here in the first place.

STUPID pricey free agent quick fixes + overpaying lousy existing players+ lousy drafting(myers/myers). Just because darcy made awful decisions in the past doesnt mean the new GM will do that.

The one thing Darcy ever did right was getting a few good xtra picks. Thankfully now he is nowhere near the team and cant make his awful choices.

So lets use those picks for the superstar ..and intelligently this time use some of Terrys big loot to get some quality in the FA mkt

Trudat. But it doesn't change the fact that it is where we are. I dont like working, but it makes eating possible.

1 to 2 years is a pipedream. Assuming the best, Reinhardt 2014 and McDavid in 2015, the best case is a possible 2016 run. What superstar will want to come to Buffalo until the youngsters show a glimmer of cup potential? See Oilers, Edmonton. The cap will make multiple big money moves like Parise/Suter a historical footnote. Any way you cut it this is a long process with the only chance of accelerating it being a block of kids maturing at the same time. And when I say contender, I mean legitimate threats to win the cup, not just make the playoffs.

OK---i like the caveat--yeah 1-2 yrs i meant playoffs--not serious cup threat

STUPID pricey free agent quick fixes + overpaying lousy existing players+ lousy drafting(myers/myers). Just because darcy made awful decisions in the past doesnt mean the new GM will do that.

The one thing Darcy ever did right was getting a few good xtra picks. Thankfully now he is nowhere near the team and cant make his awful choices.

So lets use those picks for the superstar ..and intelligently this time use some of Terrys big loot to get some quality in the FA mkt

OK---i like the caveat--yeah 1-2 yrs i meant playoffs--not serious cup threat

We're on pace to be historically bad. We're about to cut loose some of the few talented players this team still has. No move is going to make us a playoff team next year. Maybe in two years if Connor McDavid turns into an instant star and we land him.

We're on pace to be historically bad. We're about to cut loose some of the few talented players this team still has. No move is going to make us a playoff team next year. Maybe in two years if Connor McDavid turns into an instant star and we land him.

If you can land Reinhart and McDavid, it then would allow you to be able to start moving some of the other prospects and future draft picks for more established players.

man...once you get bad--its hard to recover.--to think that this was once a proud franchise--consistently good.

man...once you get bad--its hard to recover.--to think that this was once a proud franchise--consistently good.

I'm more hopeful for the distant future of this franchise right now than I was at the end of the 2011-12 season.

The fact that the team has truly bottomed out means that there a clean slate almost everywhere. This roster is now bare enough to be TRULY built. There are plenty prospects of different styles and plenty more coming. As long as the new GM is somewhat competent, the future is extremely bright. The distant future, that is.

John Muckler weighs in:

@JoshRimerHockey

Former Buffalo Sabres GM John Muckler says Lafontaine should hire Jim Benning as new GM. "He's the guy they should hire." #Bruins (1/2)

@JoshRimerHockey

More Muckler (2/2) "Jim Benning deserves it after how hard he's worked. He's a good man and has an eye for talent."

Archived