GM Speculation

Eleven

I think Messier would be a disaster, but I've got a different perspective than most being on the West Coast and watching the arrogant, divisive, selfish way he conducted himself in Vancouver.

Ask yourself, given the man's legendary leadership skills, why hasn't he been offered a job like this already?

Bingo!!!

He came here (Vancouver) and basically chummed up to Keenan and then the team was a complete shambles for years. I hope to high heaven they don't hire him.

Wouldn't it be funny if both Buffalo sports team cherry picked young, up and coming GMs from Pittsburgh within a year of each other?

At least it finally shows they might be getting it right after all these years...

Part of me wants Peca in some job for the Sabres. What position I don't know but would love to see him back.

If I'm not mistaken, he still lives here. I know he married a girl I went to grade school with who is from here

Do you know what that entails? Being the cap/contract guy means that you are required to understand the value of every talent asset in the organization from Junior through the show. Further your job is the know this for every other team in the league as well. Knowing the relative value of your assets and maximizing the production of those assets (picks, players, good contracts) and mitigating the downside of liabilities (bad contracts, no picks) in relation to a minimum and maximum spending ban is the NEW NHL. It is what needs to be Generally Managed, hence the job title. Assembling rosters must be done within this framework. Talent evaluation and development are a part, for sure, but only one aspect. Assemble an adequate top 6, top 3/4 D and goaltender and you are a playoff team. Maximize those in relation the rest of the competition and you are a cup contender. Do it Consistently and you are Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston San Jose, or Anaheim. Do it Sporadically and you are Vancouver, Ottawa Philly or the Leafs. There are few hidden gems in the information age and building a flexible human capital management structure is the new reality. I would take, Botterill, Will or Brisebough in a heart beat. Than again I could be mistaken. ...nevermind.

You could be right. It's just when I hear "cap guy" I think of Jim Overdorf, and I wouldn't want Jim Overdorf as Bills' GM. How much of Botterill's job is determining which players should be retained or sought out, versus simply being told who to target and then mechanically doing the negotiation and finding a way to make the money work? These are very different things. That said, the more I read about Botterill, the more I like the idea.

Wouldn't it be funny if both Buffalo sports team cherry picked young, up and coming GMs from Pittsburgh within a year of each other?

At least it finally shows they might be getting it right after all these years...

If I'm not mistaken, he still lives here. I know he married a girl I went to grade school with who is from here

He is coach and GM of Junior Sabres so if he doesn't live here, he is here about 9 months out of the year.

The names Bucky has touted the past few years makes sense in a sort of 3 headed monster. Dudley/Botterill/Lafontaine.

Dudley likes to stay behind the scenes, but is a good talent evaluator and architect. Let him strategize, Botterill does a lot of the leg work and maybe oversees the scouting department and such. And Lafontaine is the public face that is 100% respected and trusted by players and fans alike. He could be the liaison between the hockey and business department, between Rochester and Buffalo, and between the team and the public for important hockey matters.

I'm not sure if it would be a case of too many cooks, but they all could be highly efficient at a key role. If Patty tells me we need to be patient, I'll handle it. If Darcy tells me that, I want a stray meteor to strike the podium.

There are plenty of options out there, but if Pegula is intent on coddling ex-Sabres, this is at least a B+ solution given an open market.

I'm sticking to my guns....

Get Dudley AND Botterill.

It can be a Nix/Whaley idea.... Dudley is older and a migrant to begin with. He doesn't like the limelight. You have Lafontaine to do media stuff and Botterill to oversee Devine and scouting while having the financial wherewithal to boot. Botterill and Patty can continue to learn under Dudley, and in a few years when you are ready to release the bird with the broken wing back into the wild, you go forward with just the 2 and let Duds retire into an advisory role.

It's really like a Pentagon operation. Patty is the Secretary of Defense, Dudley is the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Botterill is the Secretary of Field Operations, and Nolan is your 5 star General.

I guess that makes Ted Black Secretary of State

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

I must say, I really liked this:

Botterill, 37, is a rising star in NHL management circles. He graduated from the University of Michigan, was a 1st round draft pick but only played 88 career NHL games before concussions ended his playing career in 2005. However, it’d far from be the end of his life in hockey, as Botterill has worked with the NHL offices and also as a scout with the Dallas Stars. He also found time to get his MBA from Michigan after his playing days concluded and has been an employee of the Penguins since 2007, first as "director of hockey administration" and then was promoted in 2009 to Assistant GM once Chuck Fletcher got hired by the Minnesota Wild as GM.

I'm totally on board with him, if he's the guy.

It can be a Nix/Whaley idea.... Dudley is older and a migrant to begin with. He doesn't like the limelight. You have Lafontaine to do media stuff and Botterill to oversee Devine and scouting while having the financial wherewithal to boot. Botterill and Patty can continue to learn under Dudley, and in a few years when you are ready to release the bird with the broken wing back into the wild, you go forward with just the 2 and let Duds retire into an advisory role.

It's really like a Pentagon operation. Patty is the Secretary of Defense, Dudley is the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Botterill is the Secretary of Field Operations, and Nolan is your 5 star General.

That works for me too.

Why would Botterill leave the Pens for the Sabres just to stay as an assistant to the GM?

You could be right. It's just when I hear "cap guy" I think of Jim Overdorf, and I wouldn't want Jim Overdorf as Bills' GM. How much of Botterill's job is determining which players should be retained or sought out, versus simply being told who to target and then mechanically doing the negotiation and finding a way to make the money work? These are very different things. That said, the more I read about Botterill, the more I like the idea.

I think the solid organizations are relying more on analytics and big data to determine who is contributing and who is not which determines the next process in the chain. With some insight from the work with the Hawks (consulting to a Hawks consultant) they have created quite a few firewalls to prevent falling in love with a prospect. They would rather pay for production. A good example is Jack Skille who they dumped and Leddy who they picked up. The numbers dictated that move to a large extent. The 900 pound gorilla for them is the Hossa contract, whose acquisition put them over the top. Don't be surprised if he is jettisoned this off-season. Why? Because the numbers say that they have similar production waiting in the pipeline and at a lower cost. My point is like it or not, the truest measure of a GM's talent today is the ability to make the tough decisions that impact a team enterprise wide, not the ability to assemble a roster for any given period. More and more those decisions are data driven and less instinctual. Numbers do not lie but sometimes perception does.

Whatever....name Botterill the GM and Dudley the Director of Pro Personnel. Point being, Dudley macros and Botterill micros.

Dudley is 64 and usually doesn't hang around too long. Why did Whaley come to Buffalo? Same idea. Just get both guys here as long as they are on the same page. If you are going to be an aggressive and progressive GM, you will have too much on your plate to do it all 100%. Let Dudley make the calls on the trade front as he knows all the old school boys. There are 40 years of favors built up there.....don't think that doesn't matter. Botterill runs the draft room and identifies potential free agents and projected salaries. You have 1,384 scouts now, so there is enough responsibility to lay at Devine's feet without turning him cold.

With Lafontaine and so much still in flux we aren't ready for a guy that hasn't banked street cred with the old timers. Ease him in knowing he isn't a threat because Dudley has a limited shelf life anyway. In 2-3 years Pegula can give Duds a nice $400K/year consulting job to call in once a week from the Bahamas.

Whatever....name Botterill the GM and Dudley the Director of Pro Personnel. Point being, Dudley macros and Botterill micros.

Dudley is 64 and usually doesn't hang around too long. Why did Whaley come to Buffalo? Same idea. Just get both guys here as long as they are on the same page. If you are going to be an aggressive and progressive GM, you will have too much on your plate to do it all 100%. Let Dudley make the calls on the trade front as he knows all the old school boys. There are 40 years of favors built up there.....don't think that doesn't matter. Botterill runs the draft room and identifies potential free agents and projected salaries. You have 1,384 scouts now, so there is enough responsibility to lay at Devine's feet without turning him cold.

With Lafontaine and so much still in flux we aren't ready for a guy that hasn't banked street cred with the old timers. Ease him in knowing he isn't a threat because Dudley has a limited shelf life anyway. In 2-3 years Pegula can give Duds a nice $400K/year consulting job to call in once a week from the Bahamas.

"Hey Terry just calling to say that cavier and lobster you sent down here was delicious and I watched a hockey game last night... Sidney Crosby looks really good. Well I hope that helps, cheers from St. Barts!"

I thought we were looking for a GM, not an assistant GM. It would be a promotion to run his own club and make more money. Wouldn't be shocked if he wanted to leave.

We're agreeing here. I'm saying he won't leave the Pens to become an assistant to the next GM in Buffalo and it seems to me that Devine will still have a role post Regier. With a new GM, Botterill, and Devine around, it would be too many chefs IMO.

I'm wondering if the new GM will look for his own assistant and move out Devine? It seems like the team wants him around. Will that be a sticking point? Will the team say that Devine has to be the assistant which would then limit the number of candidates that would want the job?

I like Botterill, but I don't love it. He's a cap guy more than anything, which we don't need right now. I'd take him over Dudley and most other guys named. We need a guy that can evaluate, develop and build a roster. Botterill gets credit for the financial side of Pittsburgh. I'd also like to go in another direction so we KNOW that Pegula has nothing to do with the situation.

I like Julien BriseBois out of Tampa. Has experience on multiple levels. He is the GM of the Crunch and has done a fine job there. He's also worked as assistant GM of the Lightning for three years now. Was in the Canadiens organization for nine years before heading to Tampa.

Claude Loiselle is another name I like out of Toronto. Was part of Burke's rebuilding of the Maple Leafs and it worked out pretty damn well. My issues with Loiselle is the same as Botterill, though. He's more of a cap guy.

There's a couple more former sabres captains who don't work for the team - what's Stu Barnes, Miro Satan and Carig Rivet doing these days?

What about Chris Drury? Wonder if he would make a good assistant coach.

I'm wondering if the new GM will look for his own assistant and move out Devine? It seems like the team wants him around. Will that be a sticking point? Will the team say that Devine has to be the assistant which would then limit the number of candidates that would want the job?

I like Botterill, but I don't love it. He's a cap guy more than anything, which we don't need right now. I'd take him over Dudley and most other guys named. We need a guy that can evaluate, develop and build a roster. Botterill gets credit for the financial side of Pittsburgh. I'd also like to go in another direction so we KNOW that Pegula has nothing to do with the situation.

I like Julien BriseBois out of Tampa. Has experience on multiple levels. He is the GM of the Crunch and has done a fine job there. He's also worked as assistant GM of the Lightning for three years now. Was in the Canadiens organization for nine years before heading to Tampa.

Claude Loiselle is another name I like out of Toronto. Was part of Burke's rebuilding of the Maple Leafs and it worked out pretty damn well. My issues with Loiselle is the same as Botterill, though. He's more of a cap guy.

I think Devine has been the reason behind some of our recent drafts and actually seems to have a clue at what he is doing so I would love to keep him.

To the Julien BriseBois idea... I really like him. His resume is extensive and he is well thought of from what I can gather. He has more experience and if he joins the Sabres I would feel pretty good.

It did :blink:

Archived