Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Thats our quarterback. Hands off Burkie

Almost sounds like hyperbole. I understand pumping tires and what not but why publicly state them unless you are trying to manipulate someone's opinion. I can hardly see Burke drafting the kid because he'll have that Einstein thing hanging over his head his whole career.

Almost sounds like hyperbole. I understand pumping tires and what not but why publicly state them unless you are trying to manipulate someone's opinion. I can hardly see Burke drafting the kid because he'll have that Einstein thing hanging over his head his whole career.

:huh:

Thats o.k. Burkes judgement isn't very good. He thinks of himself as a genius too.

Barbashev strikes me as a more talented Foligno. Uses his body to make space but actually has the hands to score. We need that desperately.

Ehlers strikes me as more talented and bigger Ennis. I think Ehlers would be a great addition with his speed and shot. Kane has shown that a combination of sick puck skills with insane speed is deadly.

I still think Ehrhoff or Myers go buh bye on draft day or shortly before netting us a 1st in 2014 plus something.

Corey Pronman

Draft strategy: Atlantic Division

https://twitter.com/...571837480116225

Buffalo Sabres

Strengths: The Sabres have an elite farm system, and while I haven't updated my organization rankings yet, they have a very good argument to be first overall even before they select second in the upcoming draft. Much is made about their very strong group of young defenders in Rasmus Ristolainen, Nikita Zadorov, Jake McCabe and Mark Pysyk, but their forward group is equally impressive, and maybe more so. Gustav Possler had a breakout season, and Johan Larsson has shown good flashes; with more experience, he may become a quality NHLer.

Weaknesses: It's hard to find issues within their farm system, but the Sabres could add another goalie. They have goalie talent in the pipeline with Nathan Lieuwen, Matt Hackett, World Junior Championship standout Andrei Makarov and breakout overseas talent Linus Ullmark, but none of them is really a high-end goalie prospect. If I had to poke a hole in their system, that would be it. Obviously at the NHL level, the team is a disaster, with one of the poorest offensive showings in recent memory. At even strength with the score close in 2013-14, the team finished last in goals, and tied for last in goals against.

Recommended strategy: The Sabres have the luxury of a well-balanced and high-end system, and the issue of a horrific NHL club, so "best player available" is how I'd proceed; teams like the Sabres can't be sacrificing marginal value too much using any other form of strategy. Since Buffalo does have a very good system, it may allow them to roll the dice on some riskier players -- say, a top Russian who is still overseas (but wants to transfer) in Vladislav Kamanev. If Aaron Ekblad goes first overall, I'd recommend Sam Bennett as their selection, due to his being a well-balanced player in between the styles that Mikhail Grigorenko, Cody Hodgson and Zemgus Girgensons provide.

2014 NHL Draft order now complete

With the Stanley Cup Final complete and the Los Angeles Kings winning the Stanley Cup for the second time in three seasons, the order for the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft has been finalized.

The first 13 slots were set by the NHL Draft Lottery, which was held April 15 and won by the Florida Panthers.

In addition, the New Jersey Devils were awarded pick No. 30 as relief from an earlier penalty for circumventing the salary cap when they signed Ilya Kovalchuk in 2010.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Yeah wanted to propose Kamenev as 2nd round pick, but thought some of the guys on here would go ape if i told to trade up for barbashev and get another russian with kamanev in the 2nd round :D

Vladislav Kamenev is a very interesting prospect. If he was Canadian, he would be in the first round. He does everything well from all reports and is excellent at cycling the puck low and finding guys in front. 6'2" 200lbs with an august 96 Bday. This guy is still very young. The Russian factor is a definite consideration and he may never set foot on NA soil. I like Kamenev personally but I am not sure Murray would risk it. I think Devine would. A guy to watch for sure. If I drafted him, I would immediately try and get him on the Amercks for next season. I think the longer he stays in Russia the more likely he is to stay in Russia.

Vladislav Kamenev is a very interesting prospect. If he was Canadian, he would be in the first round. He does everything well from all reports and is excellent at cycling the puck low and finding guys in front. 6'2" 200lbs with an august 96 Bday. This guy is still very young. The Russian factor is a definite consideration and he may never set foot on NA soil. I like Kamenev personally but I am not sure Murray would risk it. I think Devine would. A guy to watch for sure. If I drafted him, I would immediately try and get him on the Amercks for next season. I think the longer he stays in Russia the more likely he is to stay in Russia.

His size and scoring prowess marks him high in my books. He reminds me a bit of Buchnevich a later round pick of New York. A little bit bigger obviously, in the second round you cannot go wrong with that type of a player. However, if a guy like Schmaltz, Lemeiux, and a few others fall even slightly I prefer them to Kamenev. I would love Demko in the second round.

So Leon Draisaitl will be on WGR at 9am today. Interesting thing about Leon, his teammates were inferior to Reinhart's.

Don’t sleep on Leon Draisaitl

During a meeting with the WGR staff, Buffalo Sabres’ general manager Tim Murray was asked if he knows who he would like to take with the No. 2 overall pick. His answer: Yes.

If you have read mock drafts or looked at Central Scouting rankings, you are probably under the assumption the Florida Panthers will take defenseman Aaron Ekblad and Sabres are targeting either Sam Bennett or Sam Reinhart. But Murray talked about the top of the draft as if there are four possible candidates for the top pick.

The missing name in the conversation has been German-born forward Leon Draisaitl, who Murray included in his mini list of possible picks at either No. 1 or No. 2.

Look at this for fun. It is the rosters for each of the 3 junior teams. Take a look at the teammates the top guys had or didn't have.

Prince Albert: http://www.hockeydb....0010012014.html

Also fact from WGR via Edmonton Journal, 91% of Prince Albert's goals Leon Draisaitl was involved with.

Kootenay Ice: http://www.hockeydb....0017942014.html

Kingston Frontenacs: http://www.hockeydb....0008382014.html

This year with Prince Albert, Draisaitl chipped in on 91 per cent (of the teams goals), Reinhart 84 per cent and Bennett 74 per cent. It’s clear Draisaitl was asked to push a big rock up a tall mountain in Prince Albert, and he did so very well, at least until it came crashing down for him and his team in first round of the WHL playoffs against an extremely tough defensive team in the Edmonton Oil Kings.

http://blogs.edmonto...-dont-see-that/

Edited by LGR4GM

Look at this for fun. It is the rosters for each of the 3 junior teams. Take a look at the teammates the top guys had or didn't have.

Prince Albert: http://www.hockeydb....0010012014.html

Also fact from WGR via Edmonton Journal, 91% of Prince Albert's goals Leon Draisaitl was involved with.

Kootenay Ice: http://www.hockeydb....0017942014.html

Kingston Frontenacs: http://www.hockeydb....0008382014.html

http://blogs.edmonto...-dont-see-that/

Well you'd better let him out......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.