Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

With the draft only two weeks away now, thought it would be good to have a handy reference list in this thread.
I took Bob McKenzie's recent top 12, spliced it into his previous top 50 to come up with the order, because Bob is the man.
Then I listed rankings from other sources, including some players who weren't on Bob's list, but had multiple mentions elsewhere. (Central Scouting, International Scouting Services, hockey prospects.com, Future Considerations, Craig's List and The Hockey News.

draft.pdf

Edited by dudacek

Not to steal your list, but if you add up the rankings from that list and rank them by who has the lowest total then you get:

1. Aaron Ekblad (13 points)

2. Sam Reinhart (14 points)

3. Sam Bennett (16 points)

4. Leon Draisaitl (33 points)

5. Michael Dal Colle (36 points)

6. William Nylander (40 points)

7. Nik Ehlers (56 points)

8. Nick Ritchie (60 points)

9. Haydn Fleury (65 points)

10. Brendan Perlini (82 points)

11. Kasperi Kapenen (90 points)

12. David Pastarnak (97 points)

13. Jake Virtanen (103 points)

14. Kevin Fiala (107 points)

15. Dylan Larkin (110 points)

16. Jared McCann (111 points)

17. Ivan Barbashev (117 points)

18. Sonny Milano (121 points)

19. Alex Tuch (124 points)

20. Scherbak (130 points)

21. Adrian Kempe (136 points)

22. Jakub Vrana (141 points)

23. Robby Fabbri (146 points)

24. Julius Honka (149 points)*

25. Nick Schmaltz (151 points)

26. Josh Ho-Sang (155 points)

27. Roland McKeown (172 points)

28. Travis Sanheim (190 points)*

29. Connor Bleackley (192 points)

30. Nik Goldobin (194 points)

31. Anthony DeAngelo (196 points)*

32. Ryan MacInnis (199 points)*

33. Jack Dougherty (201 points)*

34. Brendan Lemieux (223 points)*

35. Eric Cornel (244 points)*

*Only listed five/six times so I added 31 to their total for each missing number since most lists only went to 30. Players with less than five rankings weren't included in this list as there is no realistic or fair way to include them.

Edited by Tankalicious

Haha you realize your list is the same as his, right? I think the top five are clear: Ekblad, Reinhart, Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Bennett. The next two could be from a large pile: Ehlers, Tuch, Virtanen, Nylander, Ritchie, Perlini, and even guys like Barbashev, Fiala, McCann and Fleury could be in there.

Yea, I just copied and pasted it then highlighted the 2 I'd like to see the Sabres get this draft.

I was leaning Bennett, and used to state such, what changed my mind was reading up on Reinhart's hockey sense and ice vision. Seems to be a clear playmaker there and something that could really help our snipers pot the puck in the net. Of course, those snipers have to position themselves to do so :)

Ehlers on the other hand, I just recently caught some video of him, love the kids speed, just love it. Speed kills, as they say.

Murray's comments about moving back up into the 1st round, I'm so hoping he'd also like to get that speed on the roster in the future.

@john_wawrow

#Sabres Ted Black tells AP team has submitted a proposal to host NHL's annual pre-draft scouting combine for at least the next three years.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/f0c1bf47017d4515a7c818faada07b24/HKN--Sabres-Combine-Proposal

Buffalo Sabres president Ted Black tells The Associated Press the team has submitted a proposal to host the NHL's annual pre-draft scouting combine for at least the next three years.

Black says the bid was submitted on Friday and the team has been working on its proposal for two years to replace Toronto as the combine's host.

The NHL opened the bidding process for the first time this year after the Sabres lobbied to host the annual May event to coincide with the opening of HarborCenter, a $172 million hockey and entertainment complex. HarborCenter's construction was paid for by Sabres owner Terry Pegula, and will feature two rinks and a full-service hotel connected to the team's downtown arena.

The deadline for bids is Monday.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Yea, I just copied and pasted it then highlighted the 2 I'd like to see the Sabres get this draft.

I was leaning Bennett, and used to state such, what changed my mind was reading up on Reinhart's hockey sense and ice vision. Seems to be a clear playmaker there and something that could really help our snipers pot the puck in the net. Of course, those snipers have to position themselves to do so :)

Ehlers on the other hand, I just recently caught some video of him, love the kids speed, just love it. Speed kills, as they say.

Murray's comments about moving back up into the 1st round, I'm so hoping he'd also like to get that speed on the roster in the future.

...we have snipers? :P

The guys I would love to somehow trade back into the first round for: Perlini, Barbashev, Kempe, Milano. I wouldn't trade back into the first round for Demko. He could slip to the second round, unless someone is really in love with him.

There are so many prospects with similar grades from late in the top 10 to late in the top 30, I would be happy with virtually any one of them.

We are unlikely to get any of them with pick 39, so I want to move up.

But there isn't a crying need to overpay to make a huge jump.

You are just as likely to get a good player at 22 as you are at 12.

Two exceptions on my board:

If we trade back into the top ten, it better be for Ehlers.

If we move back into the top 15, then Barbashev should be the man.

Generally speaking, as far as D prospects in this draft go - there is no reason to overpay. Worst draft for D in years.

Buffalo did well to grab theirs last year. There are very few stand-out D candidates.

As for Forwards - I actually think there are a fair number of promising prospects.

The trouble is that there are very few D men worth a first round pick to flesh out the draft - - so I think Buffalo might have to move up to get forward prospects

that would normally be available in the second round.

Generally speaking, as far as D prospects in this draft go - there is no reason to overpay. Worst draft for D in years.

Buffalo did well to grab theirs last year. There are very few stand-out D candidates.

What do you guys think of DeAngelo?

In a defence-poor draft, the kid has a world of skill.

I'm thinking an arrogant, defence-poor team (like the Flyers) might take him early in the second half of the first round.

His attitude scares me, but we don't have a player like that in the system.

Usually I avoid players with red flags like that.

But if he is still there at 39, his talent would have to make us look at him very closely.

Regarding DeAngelo, Devine was talking about the draft last week, said the Sabres were looking at 5 players, Sams, Ekblad, and Draisaitl, and the 5th was a surprise, and not Dal Colle. He also said he wouldn't be surprised by a surprise pick in the top 5, I'm thinking he was talking about DeAngelo.

He's certainly not big, but his scoring numbers are incredible. I study 2002-2011, and 1.39ppg is way above everyone else. He scored about the same ppg as Dal Colle, as a defenseman.

We agree that he'd be a perfect fit for the Sabres, there's no one like him in the system. While a perfect fit, still not needed as much as either Sam, so I want to stay at 2 rather than trading back for Horvat and 6, and expect to get DeAngelo there. A lot of people think he might make the second round. If I was Toronto, I'd take him at 8, though as a data guy, I know nothing of his attitude.

Regarding DeAngelo, Devine was talking about the draft last week, said the Sabres were looking at 5 players, Sams, Ekblad, and Draisaitl, and the 5th was a surprise, and not Dal Colle. He also said he wouldn't be surprised by a surprise pick in the top 5, I'm thinking he was talking about DeAngelo.

He's certainly not big, but his scoring numbers are incredible. I study 2002-2011, and 1.39ppg is way above everyone else. He scored about the same ppg as Dal Colle, as a defenseman.

We agree that he'd be a perfect fit for the Sabres, there's no one like him in the system. While a perfect fit, still not needed as much as either Sam, so I want to stay at 2 rather than trading back for Horvat and 6, and expect to get DeAngelo there. A lot of people think he might make the second round. If I was Toronto, I'd take him at 8, though as a data guy, I know nothing of his attitude.

I think Devine might be talking Nylander as the surprise at five. He was there before the season, faded, then just destroyed at the U18 Worlds.

DeAngelo is too risky to go top 10, IMO. He's small and not too good defensively, and was suspended for a bigoted slur toward a teammate.

Was it a mistake made by a kid, or sign of a bad apple?

Yeah, Nylander's a possibility, but I think Nylander is close to consensus number 5, so I think he would have said Nylander. Instead, he kind of phrased it as 'someone you are not thinking about.' So I've been thinking who he meant, I have a hard time thinking either Murray or Nolan think Nylander might be the right answer, or Ehlers, maybe Milano, Nick Ritchie?. Where as I thought I remember Murray say he liked mobile defenseman like Karlsson, which leads me to DeAngelo.

As far as top 10, risky yes, but my model calls this 'The Tony DeAngelo Draft'. He's a tool.

What do you guys think of DeAngelo?

In a defence-poor draft, the kid has a world of skill.

I'm thinking an arrogant, defence-poor team (like the Flyers) might take him early in the second half of the first round.

His attitude scares me, but we don't have a player like that in the system.

Usually I avoid players with red flags like that.

But if he is still there at 39, his talent would have to make us look at him very closely.

What about if he's there at 31?

EHLERS!!

Trade for another top 10 pick for him. If I were GM that be part of my draft plan.

But what do I know ... I have only watched this kid for a year. He was a rookie in the Q this year. Our Moose scouts keep finding these guys. He is from Denmark.

BARBASHEV !!!

Brian Burke on Reinhart:

* C Sam Reinhart (WHL Kootenay) — “Brainiac centre . . . he dismantled our team, the Hitmen, in the playoffs. Smartest player available by a mile. This guy’s hockey IQ is off the charts. This is Albert Einstein on skates.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/calgary-flames/Calgary+Flames+kicking+tires+high+price/9911818/story.html

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.