Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

The only caveat is if he immediately trades for a center, but I doubt anyone is going to give up a prospect of Bennet/Reinhart/etc. caliber in a trade.

There's the rub. Even if he pulls off a trade, how likely is it to be for a legit 1st line player/prospect? It's so rare I have trouble feeling even remotely comfortable with an Ekblad pick.

The scouting reports are what you see. His skating is really the only reason he's not my first choice. Give me Reinhart, although I wouldn't be upset with Bennett. Heck, I wouldn't be upset with Draisaitl either, but he's not my first choice.
I don't think he's a bad skater. He's got excellent control. Maybe not blazing fast, but he has deceptive speed. I just love how he protects the puck as he moves through space. He looks like Jumbo Thornton, who's also not fast, when protecting the puck. In the corners he reminds me of a young Forsberg. I wouldn't be disappointed with him at all. I think he's got an NHL game. Reinhart would be hard to pass on though. it's a win either way.

thanks for these.

NHL Draft Statistics: The OHL and WHL Big Board

Editor’s Note: The following is a guest post from Travis Flynn. Travis has done tremendous research on scoring numbers of prospects in the OHL and WHL and the correlation to their success as NHLers in Recent NHL Drafts. If you are a fan of statistical posts, you will want to check out this post, and see what Travis’ Research says about this years’ NHL Draft prospects. We at LWOS are very grateful for Travis’ time on this.

The Start is an introduction to how he developped his big board, followed by the board it self, and then most interesting of all some conclusions we can draw from it.

One of Reinhart or Ekblad will be a Sabre come this June 27th. Of that I have little doubt.

If it is Ekblad, this organization has a massive pool of assets to bring that elusive elite forward to town. But in so far as this draft, those 2 are the BPA's for the 1 and 2 spots in most consensus. That being the case, I'm happy with either one and I trust GM TM will make the appropriate moves in the next 12 months, including the 15 draft, to secure the teams long term core in an effort to be a Cup contender, not just a force in the Eastern Conference.

This is where I am at. Edmonton and Calgary are on most radars for that player. I'm not so sure on that, maybe the 5th to 8th selection?

What do you think with all the chatter, is it possible he falls past 5?

No, I think Draisaitl will go top five. But guys like Ritchie, Barbashev, Tuch and Perlini. Barbashev isn't "big" but he plays like it.

So do we think Murray has already made a decision or has a solid order of guys set? A lot of former execs say they don't make any real decisions until the beginning of draft week.

I think the Sabres know it's either going to be Reinhart or Ekblad and I also believe they have gone over scenarios to utilize assets to get elite talent in the forward ranks by using assets, including potentials from this draft.

No, I think Draisaitl will go top five. But guys like Ritchie, Barbashev, Tuch and Perlini. Barbashev isn't "big" but he plays like it.

Well, I know it's been beaten to death, But if he really wants to make a move back up in the top 5 to grab Draisaitl, I'd be inclined to believe Myers is on the table then. Just my opinion though.

As for getting the other players you mention, I know TM loves his big bodies, but dam, I sure do like that Ehlers kid. That speed, oh that speed.

If he is correct Reinhart, Bennett, and Draisaitl are all worthy picks at the top of the draft and better then a good bunch of guys taken at the top of some previous drafts.

Agreed. If I understand any of this and if those numbers mean anything, Draisaitl compares to Nail Yakupov and Sam Bennett compares to Steven Stamkos. Bennett and Reinhart are substantially close, with the difference presented hear because Reinhart did a little more of his scoring on special teams. Dal Colle looks like Nathan Horton with a hair more scoring on special teams.

I don't know if there's a pro-CHL bias when selecting top picks, but the stats at the very top presented here fall in favor of the CHL- the only WHL'er in the top 11 is RNH. If there's a reason for this, it may speak in favor of selecting Bennett (CHL) over Reinhart (WHL).

Edited by IKnowPhysics

anyone else thinking Draisatl after listening to Murray's recent interviews? he keeps bringing up big bodies who can score

I think he's targeting that in a trade for another first.

Yeah, he specifically made the "Sabres type player" remark in reference to trading back up into the teens.

I think the model for Sabres type player is going to be Girgs — smart guys who play with edge.

So Barbashev may very well be the target.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.