The Captain

Doohickie

I feel myself getting uncharacteristically (and, well, virtually) truculent about criticism/mocking of the decision to go with Vanek and Ott as captains. It must mean the season's about to begin.

By Thanksgiving,*** I'll probably be far less excitable about such matters.

*** Canadian or American - I'm not sure.

Yep. Drop the damn puck!

If it's the same three either way, I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference. And frankly, unless the letter wearers are clearly the wrong choice (Stafford, Roy, etc.) I don't think it makes much of a difference who even has them. It's all about the totality of the locker room IMO.

Do you think that is true with Pittsburgh? Or in Detroit?

Borrowed a new user photo from that 2nd link.

That avatar is great... :w00t:

Serious question: can anyone present a convincing argument why it matters?

1. All the other teams get to have just one captain.

2. Demonstrates lack of decisiveness on the part of the coach.

3. Each co-captain wonders why he wasn't good enough to just be named captain.

4. Disappearing captain voodoo of the Sabres organization.

1. What - so, like, we don't fit in when all the NHL franchises are having lunch in the middle school cafeteria? 'S Cool. We can sit with the 2005-2007 Sabres.

2. So choosing 3 to wear letters and making the unconventional choice to elevate two of them to C on a home/away basis is a lack of decisiveness? Gotcha.

3. Speculation. And almost certainly untrue.

4. History will not repeat itself. It won't. One or both will re-sign or , failing that, one or both will be moved for value.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Did Drury and Briere do the home/away thing?

Yeah, I believe so.

I think it was every other game.

It wasn't consistent. I believe in 2005-06, they went basically every other game, but had specific teams that each always had the "C" against (e.g., Briere vs. Montreal.) In 2006-07, however, I am almost certain that it was road/away during at least the regular season. It's hard to prove, since each took over when the other was out injured.

I'm a little shocked they gave it to Vanek. I expect him yo be gone this time next year. I think we resign Ott for 1 year at the deadline. Vanek is no where near those two other players so shouldn't be mentioned with them. It would also have been nice if he remotely lived up to his contract :(

What are your expectations based on his contract?

1. Arguably the best Sabres team of all time had two captains.

2. This contradicts point #1. Wouldn't an indecisive coach just follow the rest of the league and make a safe choice?

3. Total speculation and you could just as easily say that both guys will be extra motivated to be their best by the presence of the other.

4. The C has nothing to do with their chances of staying. If anything, this is a good move *because* we don't know who is staying.

Do you think that is true with Pittsburgh? Or in Detroit?

Absolutely. If Malkin wears the C for 41 games, do they suddenly lose another 5? If Datsyuk wears the C for 41 games, does Detroit miss the playoffs?

I just think it's silly to think the letter on the front of the jersey will cause any material difference in performance, and I have yet to see a real argument as to why it would--most of the objections seem to be preference-based. For example, I think Vanek was disappointed he didn't get the C back when Ruff gave it to Pominville, but he proceeded to have his best season in years. I would even argue that if somebody is so crushed they didn't get sole possession of the C that it does end up affecting them, then they shouldn't have had it in the first place.

Absolutely. If Malkin wears the C for 41 games, do they suddenly lose another 5? If Datsyuk wears the C for 41 games, does Detroit miss the playoffs?

I just think it's silly to think the letter on the front of the jersey will cause any material difference in performance, and I have yet to see a real argument as to why it would--most of the objections seem to be preference-based. For example, I think Vanek was disappointed he didn't get the C back when Ruff gave it to Pominville, but he proceeded to have his best season in years. I would even argue that if somebody is so crushed they didn't get sole possession of the C that it does end up affecting them, then they shouldn't have had it in the first place.

I've seen others suggest this. Where is this coming from? Did he get quoted somewhere or is this fan supposition?

The year Pommers got it Vanek got 61 points, nothing to write home about. I think Vanek benefitted from the shortened season. Coming off his best season, now a captain, a pending UFA and with little desire to stay here...he holds all the cards for negotiations. I imagine he is asking for 8.5-9 for 8. After all if 65 points can get you $7.1 million, 20 more points and captain has to be good for $1.5 more million

I've seen others suggest this. Where is this coming from? Did he get quoted somewhere or is this fan supposition?

Just reading his body language from the video of Ruff making the announcement to the team. Obviously open to interpretation, but he did not seem like a guy jazzed about getting the A.

The year Pommers got it Vanek got 61 points, nothing to write home about. I think Vanek benefitted from the shortened season. Coming off his best season, now a captain, a pending UFA and with little desire to stay here...he holds all the cards for negotiations. I imagine he is asking for 8.5-9 for 8. After all if 65 points can get you $7.1 million, 20 more points and captain has to be good for $1.5 more million

Yea I had my years off, thought it was the year prior that the announcement was made. Whoops :bag:

That said, I stand by my point about it not mattering.

• 5 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.