Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

• 1 month later...

Interesting piece on Grantland about the prospects of trading Miller (or any other goaltender).

One paragraph that stood out to me:

And that leads us to the one major deal on our list that we haven't talked about yet: Roberto Luongo going from Florida to Vancouver in 2006.

That scenario has some definite parallels to Miller's. The 2006 Panthers were a bad team, as are the 2013 Sabres. Both goalies were established stars. Both were entering the final year of their contract before hitting unrestricted free agency. And in both cases, a long-term extension looked more and more unlikely as the process continued, making a trade start to feel inevitable.

But that's where the similarities end. Luongo was 27 when he was dealt; Miller is 33. Maybe even more importantly, Luongo was dealt during the 2006 offseason, while the Sabres failed to move Miller this summer and ended up holding on to him into the season. That changes the dynamic significantly — of the 30 deals on our list, 17 took place in the offseason, including most of the big ones. If it's rare to see a top goaltender traded at all, it's especially rare to have it happen during the season.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9871613/ryan-miller-goalie-trade-market

• 2 weeks later...

In the rearview mirror, I see Vanek like a succession of Mogilny/Hasek/Satan type Euro stars that graced the Sabre jersey in the past. These highly skilled players eventually grew tired and disgruntled with the way the team was run, so in their own ugly way, forced themselves off the team. Each of these departures was painful to watch as a fan. It's sad that none of these great players ended well.

In the rearview mirror, I see Vanek like a succession of Mogilny/Hasek/Satan type Euro stars that graced the Sabre jersey in the past. These highly skilled players eventually grew tired and disgruntled with the way the team was run, so in their own ugly way, forced themselves off the team. Each of these departures was painful to watch as a fan. It's sad that none of these great players ended well.

Sweeping generalizations yay!

Miller's trade is unlikely. If a team is in the play off race loses a top goalie, it might get done. I get the feeling he will walk away as a free agent. None of the California teams needs a goalie. Miller might look at a bleak market for a guy on the other side of 30 as a number 1 net minder.

Miller's trade is unlikely. If a team is in the play off race loses a top goalie, it might get done. I get the feeling he will walk away as a free agent. None of the California teams needs a goalie. Miller might look at a bleak market for a guy on the other side of 30 as a number 1 net minder.

This is patently false.

What team in the playoff race with anything less than a perfect goaltending combination would not trade a second-rounder for Miller insurance at the deadline?

According to cap geek, there are 13 teams who could add Miller today and 18 teams projected to have space for him at the deadline, without dumping any salary.

That's assuming the Sabres pick up half his salary.

I see three markets for Miller.

The current one, consisting of teams with bad goaltending, who are on the fringe of the playoff race, whose season could go down the toilet: basically Edmonton, the Islanders the Flyers and maybe Florida or Winnipeg.

The trade deadline one, consisting of teams in the playoff race who may want to upgrade that position (Pittsburgh, Washington, St. Louis, Anaheim, Colorado, Tampa), or acquire some insurance: (Detroit, Chicago)

The injury one, where unforeseen circumstances may force a team to make a move (at the moment, Carolina and Nashville)

With Buffalo a highly motivated seller, I don't think it will be that tough to find a fit out of that mix.

They need to trade Miller NOW. We need to see this team for what they really are and Miller is making it a mirage. His stock is high so get aggressive...

Trade him now! Wait; are we talking about Miller or Stafford?

Doesn't matter - trade him now!

Just get it over with.

Trade Miller to the Blues for Halak and first and cross your fingers he will have better luck carrying another long-suffering fan base to the cup.

There have been a lot of things wrong with the Darcy Regier era of the Buffalo Sabres.

Ryan Miller is not one of them.

Best Sabre of the past decade. Enjoy him while you can.

Just get it over with.

Trade Miller to the Blues for Halak and first and cross your fingers he will have better luck carrying another long-suffering fan base to the cup.

There have been a lot of things wrong with the Darcy Regier era of the Buffalo Sabres.

If we deal Miller to St. Louis, it'd be Elliot coming the other way. He has fallen out of favor in St. Louis and Halak/Miller would work together as a great tandem.

Just get it over with.

The Blues are an interesting candidate. Halak is a very good goalie and has delivered in the playoffs before. He's also (like Elliot) a UFA after this year -- so there's no difference between Halak and Miller as far as that goes. So it really comes down to whether they view Miller as an upgrade over Halak for this season's playoff run and if so how much they are willing to part with for that upgrade.

I don't think they'd pony up the #1, but I could be wrong.

As for the "best Sabre in the last decade" title -- abso-freakin'-lutely.

I still don't understand why many/most here want to trade him.

The Blues are an interesting candidate. Halak is a very good goalie and has delivered in the playoffs before. He's also (like Elliot) a UFA after this year -- so there's no difference between Halak and Miller as far as that goes. So it really comes down to whether they view Miller as an upgrade over Halak for this season's playoff run and if so how much they are willing to part with for that upgrade.

I don't think they'd pony up the #1, but I could be wrong.

As for the "best Sabre in the last decade" title -- abso-freakin'-lutely.

I still don't understand why many/most here want to trade him.

I don't think most people DO want to trade him but he IS getting traded so let's get the punch in the face over with now rather than later. I want to see what this team is going to look like when he is gone so they can find the right parts to fix it.

New President of Hockey Operations is the announcement

Archived