Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

What's embarrassing is your creation of a mythical "double standard." It's just another step in your continued attempt to justify Scott place on the roster. Wilson's play was nowhere near what Scott has done and certainly doesn't even belong in the same conversation.

If you want to counter Lucic than you need to have a top six forward that can counter Lucic's effect on a game. A 4 minute a game goon is an embarrassing attempt. You want to counter Lucic, you need to look to Foligno, Ott and to a lessor extent McCormick. In the future you counter with Girgensson, Zadorov and Ristolainen.

Lucic didn't run Miller because they didn't have a John Scott. He ran Miller because he knew that the 20 guys dressed wouldn't even consider doing something about it.

I think that's where the disconnect is. As long as Scott is on the team and/or dressed, Lucic and others of his ilk would not consider doing something that stupid or reckless. Lucic would not have run Miller as he would have known that a sound beating was coming his way.

And the contention that a top 6 forward needs to take on Lucic is not practical. There may be 3-4 top 6 types in the league who could take him on. But history has shown that he shrinks from the true heavyweight division.

To further this though....if Shanahan would have dealt with the situation properly, there would be no need to load up on muscle to counter stupidity. A great game is being bogged down by the idiots in charge.

What's embarrassing is your creation of a mythical "double standard." It's just another step in your continued attempt to justify Scott place on the roster. Wilson's play was nowhere near what Scott has done and certainly doesn't even belong in the same conversation.

I'm having a hard time justifying Ennis' place on the roster right now. Why the hell would i try and justify Scott's?

You don't really believe that your analysis of this play and everything you have written about it would have been exactly the same if it was Scott who had committed this exact hit, do you? How is that not a double standard?

Yeah, Buffalo would really hate to have this guy right now - God I hate Darcy more and more every single day..

http://prohockeytalk...kie-nichushkin/

Stars' Nichushkin adapting to life on and off the ice

FRISCO, Texas -- Valeri Nichushkin is only 18 years old and just 33 games into his NHL career, but the early returns for the Dallas Stars on the No. 10 pick in the 2013 NHL Draft are clearly encouraging.

Nichushkin, who has been skating on Dallas' top line alongside captain Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin for the past 16 games, is averaging a point per game in his last 10 contests (4-6-10) and has a plus-9 rating during that time.

He currently ranks second among rookies in assists with 12 and third in plus-minus at with a plus-12 rating.

His recent offensive surge illustrates just how quickly Nichushkin has adjusted to the NHL game. That higher comfort level on and off the ice has allowed him to better utilize his blend of speed, size and skating ability to benefit both himself and the Stars.

"I hope it's visible for everyone that the process is getting a little bit easier," Nichushkin said through a translator, Stan Tugolukov, Stars Player Development Coordinator, after practice on Friday. "I'm getting used to it.

:angry:

OK, we get it. Somebody that some guy no longer with the organization passed on drafting is looking good.

I wanted them to take the deal with Carolina to move up and take Monahan, who has 10G, 6A in 29GP (vs. Nichushkin's 6G 12A in 34GP.) Neither happened; let's move on.

Edited by carpandean

OK, we get it. Somebody that some guy no longer with the organization passed on drafting is looking good.

I wanted them to take the deal with Carolina to move up and take Monahan, who has 10G, 6A in 29GP (vs. Nichushkin's 6G 12A in 34GP.) Neither happened; let's move on.

It's a hockey discussion forum no? The comparison/contrast of drafted players is an ongoing thing as time moves forward.

It's a hockey discussion forum no? The comparison/contrast of drafted players is an ongoing thing as time moves forward.

This is starting to become a crusade.

And credit still isn't being given to Seguin for Nichuskin's modest success. Afterall, those assists come from someone else scoring right?

Edited by d4rksabre

This is starting to become a crusade.

And credit still isn't being given to Seguin for Nichuskin's modest success. Afterall, those assists come from someone else scoring right?

Not a crusade, but I'm certainly paying attention to the entire 2013 draft class. It goes with out saying that playing with the right players in the right situations is a major key to success.

When playing with Benn and Seguin the odds are good that you'll have some success. I believe Luke Adam looked pretty solid between Vanek and Pominville.

I struggle to see how John Scott prevents anything. No one has to fight him, at all, ever. He can choose to take a run at someone as retribution but he'll pay the price through ejection and suspension. I understand the perception that he prevents certain things from happening, but I don't see it.

Lucic could have given Weber a solid thumping the other night but it was not in his best interests to do it. Lucic is not going to fight John Scott, ever. That was discussed ad nauseum when the Sabres first acquired Scott. I'll be surprised if anyone other than an identified fighter goes up against John Scott ever again.

So, the next best response is to have him deliver some kind of thundering hit. Again, not going to happen. Sure, if he gets close enough to someone he might impact them but it's not going to be the freight-training that Lucic can provide. Scott simply does not have that speed, even after 180 feet of skating.

To think Scott, being in the lineup, could jump the boards and attack someone is ludicrous. Beside the automatic 10 game suspension I am sure the league would throw some more at him. He might not see the ice for half a season.

Ultimately Scott has to either become a serviceable hockey player who can fight if needed or he'll be out of the league soon. He's actually made a few plays this year but he's going to have to improve more to be a factor.

And Scott will NEVER become "serviceable." Still searching for his first goal here, and it's been right on his stick multiple times with a wide-open net. He's not a hockey player. Plain and simple. He has no stick handling capabilities. He has no offensive awareness. He's terrible and shouldn't be here.

I don't read every post of every thread here and I can think of several similar "angry face at Nichushkin's success" posts in the past few days, much less before that. Don't know if they were all yours or not, but it was getting annoying.

I don't read every post of every thread here and I can think of several similar "angry face at Nichushkin's success" posts in the past few days, much less before that. Don't know if they were all yours or not, but it was getting annoying.

But was it a cut and paste from twitter?

It's much cooler to complain about things up to 7 years after they take place, see Briere & Drury, rather than moving on and focusing on the here and now.

I struggle to see how John Scott prevents anything. No one has to fight him, at all, ever. He can choose to take a run at someone as retribution but he'll pay the price through ejection and suspension. I understand the perception that he prevents certain things from happening, but I don't see it.

Lucic could have given Weber a solid thumping the other night but it was not in his best interests to do it. Lucic is not going to fight John Scott, ever. That was discussed ad nauseum when the Sabres first acquired Scott. I'll be surprised if anyone other than an identified fighter goes up against John Scott ever again.

If Lucic were to step out of line as badly as he has in the past (the attempted fight with Lydman or running Miller), he certainly would have to answer to 32. The only thing stopping it is an instigator, which I think the Sabres would be more than happy to take to send a message if it needed to be sent.

I don't believe it's a coincidence that he's toned down his act against us since 32 signed with us.

Don't take this as a "We need John Scott" post. The league and the team will be better without people like him around. But to say that he has zero impact on the relations between these two teams isn't fair either. It's definitely more tame, but to achieve that we need to dress a guy who drags down our overall skill level.

If Lucic were to step out of line as badly as he has in the past (the attempted fight with Lydman or running Miller), he certainly would have to answer to 32. The only thing stopping it is an instigator, which I think the Sabres would be more than happy to take to send a message if it needed to be sent.

I don't believe it's a coincidence that he's toned down his act against us since 32 signed with us.

Don't take this as a "We need John Scott" post. The league and the team will be better without people like him around. But to say that he has zero impact on the relations between these two teams isn't fair either. It's definitely more tame, but to achieve that we need to dress a guy who drags down our overall skill level.

I agree with your take on it. Before Scott we were Bostons biatches and everyone knew it. EVERYONE. Heck the media openly talked about it, The N.H.L. openly promoted games with it. It had gotten to the point where it wasn't only Boston taking liberties. After John Scott things were noticeably different.

Edited by bunomatic

I agree with your take on it. Before Scott we were Bostons biatches and everyone knew it. EVERYONE. Heck the media openly talked about it, The N.H.L. openly promoted games with it. It had gotten to the point where it wasn't only Boston taking liberties. After John Scott things were noticeably different.

Correct.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.