Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

I'm having a hard time justifying Ennis' place on the roster right now. Why the hell would i try and justify Scott's?

You don't really believe that your analysis of this play and everything you have written about it would have been exactly the same if it was Scott who had committed this exact hit, do you? How is that not a double standard?

Here you are again trying to create something that isn't there. Do I post about Scott on every hit he throws? No. I simply don;t make excuses for the dirty hits.

I agree with your take on it. Before Scott we were Bostons biatches and everyone knew it. EVERYONE. Heck the media openly talked about it, The N.H.L. openly promoted games with it. It had gotten to the point where it wasn't only Boston taking liberties. After John Scott things were noticeably different.

Is it John Scott or is having Steve Ott and Marcus Foligno and a couple of more guys willing to step up for team mates. The Sabre made a concerted effort to add some grit to the roster. That is the difference, not John Scott.

Speaking of John Scott - wouldn't it have been nice, in a game that you couldn't dress a full roster, to be able to play someone more than 8:50?

Here you are again trying to create something that isn't there. Do I post about Scott on every hit he throws? No. I simply don;t make excuses for the dirty hits.

Is it John Scott or is having Steve Ott and Marcus Foligno and a couple of more guys willing to step up for team mates. The Sabre made a concerted effort to add some grit to the roster. That is the difference, not John Scott.

Speaking of John Scott - wouldn't it have been nice, in a game that you couldn't dress a full roster, to be able to play someone more than 8:50?

That still doesn't negate John Scotts influence on the way other teams play the Sabres. Its undeniable. As some of these bigger tougher kids come on board I'm sure Scotts usefulness in keeping other teams honest won't be needed but until then its necessary imo. He's a stopgap til those big tough skilled guys we've begun to draft are N.H.L. ready so he fits for now.

Bettman upholds Thornton's 15-game suspension

NEW YORK -- Commissioner Gary Bettman today upheld the 15-game suspension that was assessed to Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton by the Department of Player Safety for punching and injuring an unsuspecting opponent, Brooks Orpik of the Pittsburgh Penguins, in NHL Game No. 438 at Boston on Dec. 7.

Commissioner Bettman heard Thornton's appeal at a hearing in New York on Friday, Dec. 20. The original decision was assessed Dec. 14.

The incident occurred at 11:06 of the first period. Thornton was assessed a match penalty for violating NHL Rule 46.15.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Thornton will forfeit $84,615.45. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Click here to view Commissioner's complete ruling (PDF)

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I think I'm the only one that didn't love the movie. Probably because I got annoyed with every save being a diving save. Otherwise it was fantastic.

IMO, the made-for-TV movie with Karl Malden was better. I think it also portrayed the kids as kids in a more realistic way. So you're not the only one.

IMO, the made-for-TV movie with Karl Malden was better. I think it also portrayed the kids as kids in a more realistic way. So you're not the only one.

Hey, you are real! :w00t:

But I guess I should catch the made-for-TV movie then. Thanks for the tip.

Phoenix Coyotes captain Doan has Rocky Mountain fever

http://msn.foxsports.com/arizona/story/coyotes-captain-doan-has-rocky-mountain-fever-122013

According to the Mayo Clinic, Rocky Mountain fever is a tick-borne bacterial disease that affects the lining of your blood vessels, causing them to leak. This can cause serious organ damage and potentially death. Symptoms can include severe headaches, high fevers and rashes. The disease is treated with antibiotics; Doan said at a press conference last week that he had been put on medication after missing the Coyotes' game on Dec. 6 in Vancouver and that he was "feeling way better."

Wasn't Doan on that show ' Mantracker ' ? He probably picked up a Tick runnin around the bush with his brother trying to elude the posse.

Could be. I think my mom said he has a horse ranch, so that's another possibility for tick exposure. Glad they've found a diagnosis and he's responding to treatment, though!

If Lucic were to step out of line as badly as he has in the past (the attempted fight with Lydman or running Miller), he certainly would have to answer to 32. The only thing stopping it is an instigator, which I think the Sabres would be more than happy to take to send a message if it needed to be sent.

I don't believe it's a coincidence that he's toned down his act against us since 32 signed with us.

Don't take this as a "We need John Scott" post. The league and the team will be better without people like him around. But to say that he has zero impact on the relations between these two teams isn't fair either. It's definitely more tame, but to achieve that we need to dress a guy who drags down our overall skill level.

I understand the perception here but at the same time as the Sabres signed Scott the league also has changed quite a bit as well. I just don't think it's as great as we want it to be. Is it there at some level? It's really hard to say.

Again, as for the instigator, it's irrelevant. Scott can instigate all day long. If Lucic turtles then Scott is left to decide whether or not he should throw a punch at a guy who is not responding. There's no way he's going to do it. He gets penalties for guys skating into him. I can only imagine what he ends up with for destroying a guy who isn't defending himself.

I understand the perception here but at the same time as the Sabres signed Scott the league also has changed quite a bit as well. I just don't think it's as great as we want it to be. Is it there at some level? It's really hard to say.

Again, as for the instigator, it's irrelevant. Scott can instigate all day long. If Lucic turtles then Scott is left to decide whether or not he should throw a punch at a guy who is not responding. There's no way he's going to do it. He gets penalties for guys skating into him. I can only imagine what he ends up with for destroying a guy who isn't defending himself.

Agree on most of this....though if you get a player to turtle in my mind you've already won. Not many players are okay with doing that (especially Lucic I think), as the firestorm in the media would be hilarious. Let's pretend that player X on an opposing team runs Miller again. If he gets 2 or 5, the next shift Scott is challenging. If that player turtles can you imagine the outrage from the dinosaurs who preach "the code"? And I don't agree with this....but the next page in the goon handbook would be that if said player isn't willing to fight, smaller skilled players are fair game, or a surprise attack is. If it goes that far, we have the biggest, baddest weapon on our side. Sad thing is that thinking like this has also resulted in a lot of the really ugly plays in hockey in the past 10 years or so.

And I don't believe that the relations between the two teams are great, I just think that Scott gives us room that Shanahan and company have been unable to legislate.

Bruins defenseman Seidenberg out for season

Boston Bruins defenseman Dennis Seidenberg will miss the rest of season with torn ligaments in his right knee, the team annouced Saturday.

The Bruins said Seidenberg is expected to need 6-8 months to recover.

Seidenberg, 32, had one goal and nine assists in 34 games this season. He is second on the Bruins in time on ice at 21:50 per game, behind the 25:02 of Zdeno Chara.

Agree on most of this....though if you get a player to turtle in my mind you've already won. Not many players are okay with doing that (especially Lucic I think), as the firestorm in the media would be hilarious. Let's pretend that player X on an opposing team runs Miller again. If he gets 2 or 5, the next shift Scott is challenging. If that player turtles can you imagine the outrage from the dinosaurs who preach "the code"? And I don't agree with this....but the next page in the goon handbook would be that if said player isn't willing to fight, smaller skilled players are fair game, or a surprise attack is. If it goes that far, we have the biggest, baddest weapon on our side. Sad thing is that thinking like this has also resulted in a lot of the really ugly plays in hockey in the past 10 years or so.

And I don't believe that the relations between the two teams are great, I just think that Scott gives us room that Shanahan and company have been unable to legislate.

All I know for a fact, is that no Bruin has tried to cheapshot a Sabre since Scott came around.

No running goalies, no two-hand slashing of star players anymore.

That alone, in my book, is enough reason to dress him every single time we play those idiots.

Edited by Kristian

About to be one rich princess:

@TSNBobMcKenzie

"@DarrenDreger: Aside from couple of details, Phaneuf and TOR close on 7 x $7 mil extension."No Move/No Trade language still being worked on

Being in our division, it's nice that Toronto is spending really, really big money on guys who are not elite. They are borderline, but borderline isn't good enough to tie up your cap room to Dion or Kessel.

Being in our division, it's nice that Toronto is spending really, really big money on guys who are not elite. They are borderline, but borderline isn't good enough to tie up your cap room to Dion or Kessel.

I might agree with you on Dion, but at $6.6 mil / 8 years for a 26 year-old who has hit the 30-goal plateau 4 times, and likely to do so again this year, they got him for exactly the right price. He's a top-ten forward in the league, and he's easily their best

Provided they can continue to put a competent center with him of course. Imagine if they put him with someone like Kessler? Man, I can't wait for the Olympics to start :beer:

Edited by WildCard

All I know for a fact, is that no Bruin has tried to cheapshot a Sabre since Scott came around.

No running goalies, no two-hand slashing of star players anymore.

That alone, in my book, is enough reason to dress him every single time we play those idiots.

I don't even know why people question it. It's simple, and you described it.

I might agree with you on Dion, but at $6.6 mil / 8 years for a 26 year-old who has hit the 30-goal plateau 4 times, and likely to do so again this year, they got him for exactly the right price. He's a top-ten forward in the league, and he's easily their best

Provided they can continue to put a competent center with him of course. Imagine if they put him with someone like Kessler? Man, I can't wait for the Olympics to start :beer:

It's difficult to draw the line, but if a player doesn't bring anything but goal scoring, the ages of 30+ are difficult to justify that type of cap hit. I'm betting that he will be a buyout candidate before that deal has run its course, sort of like Briere.

And this isn't easy....the way deals and UFA are structured kind of make this a necessity. Toronto fans would be furious if Phil walked for no compensation and put up video game numbers for 3-5 years. So they tack on an additional 2-3 years to get him to sign on the dotted line.

Edited by Darryl Shannon's +/-

It's difficult to draw the line, but if a player doesn't bring anything but goal scoring, the ages of 30+ are difficult to justify that type of cap hit. I'm betting that he will be a buyout candidate before that deal has run its course, sort of like Briere.

The cap is going to rise with the new $3 billion TV network deal. I think buy outs will become almost extinct. Especially with the floor continuing to rise. Bad contracts may actually become desirable to teams trying to reach the floor.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/23250882/salary-cap-could-reportedly-rise-to-80-million-by-201718

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.