Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

It really looks glorious, doesn't it?

Absolutely. I like when both teams wear a solid color. But only if they are so clearly different.

I also like the idea of teams who have a light secondary color wearing them at home. The Cavs, Pacers and, most notably, the Lakers do that in the NBA with gold/yellow. Not always. Especially when the other team has a lighter solid color.

The NBA is the worst model for jersey tendencies, but I just wish the model of wearing white (or a lighter color) at home would return.

Absolutely. I like when both teams wear a solid color. But only if they are so clearly different.

I also like the idea of teams who have a light secondary color wearing them at home. The Cavs, Pacers and, most notably, the Lakers do that in the NBA with gold/yellow. Not always. Especially when the other team has a lighter solid color.

The NBA is the worst model for jersey tendencies, but I just wish the model of wearing white (or a lighter color) at home would return.

The sad part is the NHL went to darks at home so teams could wear thier 3rds at home.

Real easy remedy to primarily have teams wear whites at home. Either allow teams to have '4ths' (a light colored alternate to complement the typical dark alternate) so they could wear those at home or make a month (December?) 'wear darks at home month.'

There's probably a dozen other ways to let teams primarily wear lights at home, occassionally wear alternates at home, and not drive eqipment managers nuts.

The sad part is the NHL went to darks at home so teams could wear thier 3rds at home.

Real easy remedy to primarily have teams wear whites at home. Either allow teams to have '4ths' (a light colored alternate to complement the typical dark alternate) so they could wear those at home or make a month (December?) 'wear darks at home month.'

There's probably a dozen other ways to let teams primarily wear lights at home, occassionally wear alternates at home, and not drive eqipment managers nuts.

Yea, I'd heard that before. A tough price to pay to see some third uniforms. I kind of like the idea of just having home and away no alternate, but then I see teams come out with amazing thirds.

The Minnesota Wild are in free fall mode. Lost 6 straight and 8 of 10 and have dropped to 10th in the West. It is relevant because we own their 2nd round pick this year, so I'm hoping they keep sucking so that we get a slightly better draft pick from them!

No idea how Yeo is still coach. He's terrible.

Sekera has tied his previous high in goals in his last 17 games played. He's exceeded it by two on the season. I always liked him but pulled for him to get traded. Now he seems to face figured it out.

advanced stats or no, i miss sekera and wish he were still on our squad.

those wheels, man.

Love Compher, and that's without my Michigan bias getting in the way.

I still like Sekera though.

lol I like Reggie too. I hope Compher is what he appears to be, solid 2 way top 6 guy with a great 2-way game. If he fails than the Reggie trade will seem to be a dud.

lol I like Reggie too. I hope Compher is what he appears to be, solid 2 way top 6 guy with a great 2-way game. If he fails than the Reggie trade will seem to be a dud.

Also we could have had Fucale instead of Compher. In my mind Compher has to most pressure on him to succeed as he cost the organisation the most (a cheap and solid top 4 player or a future all star goalie for an organisation without anything but a 33 year old future UFA)

Also we could have had Fucale instead of Compher. In my mind Compher has to most pressure on him to succeed as he cost the organisation the most (a cheap and solid top 4 player or a future all star goalie for an organisation without anything but a 33 year old future UFA)

Preach it, brother!!

Goalies are wearing pads painted up to look like the old horsehair cement sacks they used to wear.

I believe the old goalie pads were stuffed with deer hair - the shaft of the deer hair is hollow (natural insulation so the deer don't get chilly). It also absorbs more of the force of the puck hitting the pads. You can look it up.... ;)

By the time he's in the pros we will all have forgotten about Sekera. He won't have any more pressure on him than your everyday second round draft pick.

By the time he's in the pros we will all have forgotten about Sekera. He won't have any more pressure on him than your everyday second round draft pick.

Not to mention we have Z, Risto, Pysyk, Ehrhoff, & McCabe all in the organ-eye-zation as puck moving D. He was expendable.

Not to mention we have Z, Risto, Pysyk, Ehrhoff, & McCabe all in the organ-eye-zation as puck moving D. He was expendable.

In an alternate universe where we had a gm that actually built a real roster I would've traded McCabe an Pysyk for young forwards. Sekera was a good puck mover but also one of the most sure handed in his own zone.

But eh, I can definitely live with the young guys.

Certainly. I think they knew that trade was going to happen which might have also made them more inclined to take Risto/Z together. With the number of young players in the system, there won't be much pressure on Compher at all.

In an alternate universe where we had a gm that actually built a real roster I would've traded McCabe an Pysyk for young forwards. Sekera was a good puck mover but also one of the most sure handed in his own zone.

But eh, I can definitely live with the young guys.

I would trade Sekera before Pysyk. I love Pysyk's game

No I don't mean pressure will be on him in reality. I mean for me in my mind, and probably mine alone, he will always represent an undesirable move followed by selection of the wrong player. If he pans out that's good but not enough, for him to be a good pick in my mind he must make it to the top 6 comfortably and be better than Fucale, otherwise he will be a wasted pick in my mind

He was perhaps expendable, but 3/5 names mentioned have done nothing/almost nothing in the NHL and this is a team starved of (good) veteran players - especially on defence.

I have to disagree with this entire sentence. If Compher is a top 4 guy he won't be cheap. Also Compher is the exact type of puck possession player with offensive upside and battle that we need. There still has been no proof that Fucale will be an All Star GT. The kid may become an NHL starter but gt are notoriously hard to judge and he could fail altogether. Also the organization has Enroth, Makarov, Ullmark in the pipeline. While ppl drool over Fucale and his .902sv% in the Q, Ullmark has a .936sv% in the SHL. I do however understand that comparing leagues like this is unfair to both players but just wanted to toss that number out there.

If Fucale becomes an All Star than great for him but as of now I think Compher was the better pick. The Sabres could ill afford to take a chance with that pick so they drafted as close to a sure thing as they thought the could get.

No I don't mean pressure will be on him in reality. I mean for me in my mind, and probably mine alone, he will always represent an undesirable move followed by selection of the wrong player. If he pans out that's good but not enough, for him to be a good pick in my mind he must make it to the top 6 comfortably and be better than Fucale, otherwise he will be a wasted pick in my mind

I don't mean to target you and I understand exactly why you feel this way, Fucale plays Goal and Compher is a forward, there will not be a good way for us to measure them going forward except perhaps in NHL games played. If Fucale is a starter and Compher is top 6 guy than I would say they are equal. Better for them is going to be a relative thing.

Edited by LGR4GM

No way in hell would I be trading McCabe or Pysyk over Sekera. I think people are sleeping on McCabe, big time. He's a leader, and I think he'll be a top four guy quickly.

I think our 2016 D will look something like:

Myers, Ehrhoff, Zadorov, McCabe, Risto, Pysyk. That's in no order. Weber, Ruhwedel or McNabb next up. I assume at least one of those young guys will be traded between now and then with an acquired (FA/trade) vet in his place. But the future on D is very bright. They won't all pan out but there's a significant chance our long term top four are in the system.

Edited by DStebb

I have to disagree with this entire sentence. If Compher is a top 4 guy he won't be cheap. Also Compher is the exact type of puck possession player with offensive upside and battle that we need. There still has been no proof that Fucale will be an All Star GT. The kid may become an NHL starter but gt are notoriously hard to judge and he could fail altogether. Also the organization has Enroth, Makarov, Ullmark in the pipeline. While ppl drool over Fucale and his .902sv% in the Q, Ullmark has a .936sv% in the SHL. I do however understand that comparing leagues like this is unfair to both players but just wanted to toss that number out there.

If Fucale becomes an All Star than great for him but as of now I think Compher was the better pick. The Sabres could ill afford to take a chance with that pick so they drafted as close to a sure thing as they thought the could get.

I don't mean to target you and I understand exactly why you feel this way, Fucale plays Goal and Compher is a forward, there will not be a good way for us to measure them going forward except perhaps in NHL games played. If Fucale is a starter and Compher is top 6 guy than I would say they are equal. Better for them is going to be a relative thing.

By top 4 and cheap i was referring to Sekera. I'm not too fussed about comparing goalie numbers in different leagues, but i appreciate your point. I disagree Sabres couldn't afford to take a chance on that pick. They had 11 in that draft. The goalies you mentioned are ok, but haven't shown much tbh, and I just really want a young pedigree goalie to have faith in (Lehner in Ottawa for example). I agree there is no way to compare a forward to a goalie, but i'd take a solid starter over a solid top 6 forward

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.